Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yes, and now you spend time defending your attack rather than being civil and admitting fault.

You know not what you talk about, assuming I contradicted you when nowhere does that sentence do so. And certainly not with the sentences in context it was written.

-Crissa
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Think engineering missed this one.

here's a comparison of Model Y vs Cybertruck's . Cybertruck will need a beefier upper control arm in my opinion. Parts Catalog shows the same thin stamped upper arm.

Want a heavy duty on my vehicle. How bout you? (Recall for first few thousand +)

Cybertruck vs Model Y upper arm sm.jpg

When can we get the upgraded one ??

SparksMotorsSMCO®️ on X: %22Another successful day of testing our #Cybertrax in the snow. Duri...jpg

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Think engineering missed this one.

here's a comparison of Model Y vs Cybertruck's . Cybertruck will need a beefier upper control arm in my opinion. Parts Catalog shows the same thin stamped upper arm.

Want a heavy duty on my vehicle. How bout you? (Recall for first few thousand +)

Cybertruck vs Model Y upper arm sm.jpg

I do think this is an example of where a car company building its first truck has possibly underestimated the design requirements

folks can jump all over me and say “but Tesla engineers good!”

but I’ll remind

AA55ACFE-EC6E-4C7D-A1CB-7F08C1849441.jpeg

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Didn't the 3 undergo this same problem with control arms, where they ended up having to redesign them?

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm sure unplugged performance will have a 100x overpriced set of beefier control arms available anytime now! :). Does look like they under designed at face value but I'll give benefit of the doubt and if I bend a pair I'll replace with something better!

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Didn't the 3 undergo this same problem with control arms, where they ended up having to redesign them?
No, the common problem with Model 3 front upper control arms was that the ball joint wasn't sealed well enough from water intrusion and eventually the grease inside would wash out and mix with water. That would cause creaking noises when going over bumps. Eventually Tesla sealed around the ball joints of existing cars, and I believe there is a newer part number for the control arm that is better sealed.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Keep in mind that companies building cars in mass quantity are not optimizing for Baja durability.
They are theoretically optimizing for shareholder value, but in reality, they are likely optimizing for executive bonuses.
The capabilities and durability of the vehicle is only one aspect of that larger optimization problem.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
No, the common problem with Model 3 front upper control arms was that the ball joint wasn't sealed well enough from water intrusion and eventually the grease inside would wash out and mix with water. That would cause creaking noises when going over bumps. Eventually Tesla sealed around the ball joints of existing cars, and I believe there is a newer part number for the control arm that is better sealed.
Very true for the Model X as well. Mine would squeak just turning the steering wheel. Many videos on inserting grease or taking it off and doing full pivoting rotation to spread grease again.

I had them replace the upper control arms. To their credit, the price was reasonable as they've had a lot of complaints.

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

stevegshi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM1500, Model 3
Occupation
Contractor, Electrical Engr, Master Electrician
Country flag
Model 3 had a redesigned ball joint for the front upper control arm, not the complete control arm: where the faulty design for early model year (2017-2018, maybe) caused the lubricant inside to dry up and not perform well thus resulted in squeezing noises when turning or going over bumps. I had both sides of the upper control arms replaced under warranty. One of them was done after the 5-year warranty period, but my service center covered it anyway. Didn't pay anything outta pocket.
Sponsored