First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I didn't say it was likely.

But if Tesla wants into the higher capabilities trucks, some of these features might filter down. Like I mentioned, the same clutch that enables free wheeling in the Semi could also allow the motor to move a direct tap.

And all the guys I have hired to do those jobs around my house are upset they can't bring their whole damn truck to it. So clearly they don't think it's a problem.

-Crissa
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How many people own a stump grinder, log splitter, brush hog, or post hole digger? 1 out of 10000?

If you don’t have acreage you aren’t going to use these things. If you do have acreage, you likely have a tractor. I have a brush hog, but where I take it my truck wouldn’t fit, my 5 foot wide tractor barely does.

If affordability is the goal—as Musk has said it is—you don’t kitchen sink it. Trying to make niche features like a PTO is the absolute pinnacle of kitchen sinking and scope creep.

I think you missed the "affordable" part in my post about the electric PTO (ePTO).
It would not add much cost or hardware, but add significant capability, in particular enabling another key CT feature being amphibious mode, along with a huge range of implements.

CT would be a good tractor. In fact I plan on using one as that. Have you seen tractor prices lately btw? You can barely get a self steering package for a tractor for the price of a complete CT with FSD. So...farmers need solutions to lower costs too.

Besides, it can disrupt more than the slaves that commute "for a living" and bring their kids to reprogramming facilities. Some markets need to be "destroyed" to make room for ones that actually make sense to have as technology develops, so relying on previous markets, and the historical analysis of them, is just pure "backwards thinking".

Tesla creates it's own market, and with it demand for it's products.

I still don't have a camera in my S23 Ultra either. :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I own a tractor.

A Cybertruck is not a good replacement for my tractor. It doesn’t have a bucket, there is no three point linkage, and most important, it’s too damned big and bulky to do the sort of work that most tractors are expected to do. There are tractors which are as big and clumsy as the Cybertruck, but they are much more capable at doing the sort of thing tractors do.

If you’ve ever run a project of any size, you‘d understand how half-baked things which “would not add much cost (or time)” are exactly the sort of things that spiral into feature creep and kitchen-sink design. “It’s just a little extra”.

Mid-gate is about 100x more likely than this is and mid-gate is pretty unlikely.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
How many people own a stump grinder, log splitter, brush hog, or post hole digger? 1 out of 10000?
OWN?

No need to own. For the majority of people, even small businesses that use those kinds of tools on a periodic basis, it makes more sense to just rent each tool one at a time when they are needed for some specific task. So much cheaper and you don't have to do maintenance.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag

If you don’t have acreage you aren’t going to use these things. If you do have acreage, you likely have a tractor. I have a brush hog, but where I take it my truck wouldn’t fit, my 5 foot wide tractor barely does.

If affordability is the goal—as Musk has said it is—you don’t kitchen sink it. Trying to make niche features like a PTO is the absolute pinnacle of kitchen sinking and scope creep.

I'm with you on this one, Ogre: If you own a bush hog, you own a tractor. Now, if Tesla could make an electric tractor that had all the power needed and could go all day on a single charge, that would be something. I put our John Deere through hell maintaining the tree farm and even though the CT would be "tough" enough, I don't think PTO is in the cards.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I still think you are missing what exactly a "ePTO" actually is.

It's just a dedicated motor plug connected to the existing CT inverter, which is already capable of speed controlling induction motors. I think if you would know how a inverter and VSD works, you'd understand what I mean better.

BTW I have tractors, telehandler, grader, 2 dozers etc if you want to appeal to authority.
But the trick is not to replace, rather to improve upon. I'm currently rolling out custom made swarming aerial drones with 100kg payloads to replace tractors completely on multi 1000 hectare broadacre farming, except for seeding and harvesting. CT is the charge platform. On a cost per hectare basis we can contract material application cheaper than conventional machine depreciation alone.

What you call feature creep, I call "progress". :)

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
I'm currently rolling out custom made swarming aerial drones with 100kg payloads to replace tractors completely on multi 1000 hectare broadacre farming, except for seeding and harvesting.
Holy cow. JBee did you get an ag robot piece on the ABC a few months ago or was that another mob?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I'm with you on this one, Ogre: If you own a bush hog, you own a tractor. Now, if Tesla could make an electric tractor that had all the power needed and could go all day on a single charge, that would be something. I put our John Deere through hell maintaining the tree farm and even though the CT would be "tough" enough, I don't think PTO is in the cards.
I looked at the currently available electric tractors. Not quite what I need yet. The big problem was the PTO was the old school sort where it was tied to the drive train in such a way that you couldn’t operate it while the tractor is in reverse and only certain things worked while it was stopped. In a few more years it’ll be big. Having tractors you can “Fuel Up” at home is a big deal.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I own a tractor.

A Cybertruck is not a good replacement for my tractor. It doesn’t have a bucket, there is no three point linkage, and most important, it’s too damned big and bulky to do the sort of work that most tractors are expected to do. There are tractors which are as big and clumsy as the Cybertruck, but they are much more capable at doing the sort of thing tractors do.

If you’ve ever run a project of any size, you‘d understand how half-baked things which “would not add much cost (or time)” are exactly the sort of things that spiral into feature creep and kitchen-sink design. “It’s just a little extra”.

Mid-gate is about 100x more likely than this is and mid-gate is pretty unlikely.
...And you'd understand that being able to transport the tool to the job is part of the problem. A tractor isn't going to toddle down miles and miles of fences, or a good option to work on a stump across town. It's slow, awkward, and costs loads more to transport.

It's like trail maintenance. A tractor is great when you're building a new trail, but it's a headache to get out for just that one hole you need re-dug miles out.

And every contractor I've talked to wanted to back their damn truck up to my house with their grinder/postdigger/whatit they were dragging behind it to do the job. Because none of my jobs are big enough for them to want to bring out their bobcat (which they couldn't use in my yard anyhow).

-Crissa

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
Thinking RHD CT for Oz will need BAW on opposite side of screen. But, l guess that's a [BAW that keeps] given.
p
Update
Tesla have lodged a patent for a BAW that slides horizontally and is electronically operated, retreating into horizontal hatch below screen when not in use
Will CT get it?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Holy cow. JBee did you get an ag robot piece on the ABC a few months ago or was that another mob?
Na that was another mob, which I'll have to find and watch now. ;)
This is a new venture where the aim is to reduce spray and fertiliser use with precision aerial application and plant monitoring using aerial and terrestrial EVs. (So no fossil fuels). The first setup is going to be a 16t truck with extendible solar for charging the drones.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag