Status
Not open for further replies.

tbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2000 F150 Lariat - Cybertruck Res #113xxx
Country flag
Built in the space for it, and Wes confirmed it was "half full" other. Not going to get much more confirmation than that out of Tesla, but it is coming.
Nope - the tear down video by Sandy Munro shows there is only about 33 mm of space there, far less than the 80mm plus extra needed for colling/connections to add another stack.

They stat the space is for two main purposes - gas control upon a thermal runaway and as crash protection in case something was hit when off-road (the images shared originally is actually the bottom of the pack).

They could still double-stack, but it would be a taller pack - by about 80mm - a little over 3 inches.
Sponsored

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
The whole argument is whether the 4680's can be improved upon at a faster rate. Suggesting that other batteries have progressed more slowly doesn't mean that these will, they are not the same thing and should not be compared to the current lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries have NOT progressed much over the last few decades. The only thing that has enabled micro electronics to continue to improve their battery life is processor energy consumption and the move from LCD to LED, to micro LED. The batteries have very little to do with the battery life increase because their energy densities have not changed significantly, this is a fact. This is why the Hummer EV needs 3000lbs of batteries. They can play around with the chemistries to allow for fast charging but it has not increased the energy density by any substantial margin.

Again, we are not discussing LFP batteries, these are not used in the Cybertruck. Additionally, if China had any IP protections for foreign companies, the 4680's would be manufactured there as well.
You seem to be under the impression the 4680 cell is tied to some kind of novel battery chemistry. It's not, it's a form factor. At its core it's a lithium-ion ternary cell like the 18650s and 2170s that have gone before it. The chemistry in current Tesla 4680s is NMC 811, the same chemistry you find in 2170s Tesla procures from LG but without any silicon in the anode. That's one of the low hanging fruit I was referring to, as is a higher nickel cathode formulation like NMC 955. These are things that have already been done by other battery makers and that Tesla could incorporate reasonably quickly in its own 4680s to increase energy density.

Much of the technology Tesla has developed has been to enable the 4680 form factor and drive down cost. Now a decade might be a bit hyperbolic as there are also pack level gains to be had and with the amount of investment being poured into the battery industry things should move a bit quicker than they historically have but we're still talking 2030s for it to get to 500+ miles on energy density improvements alone.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Lithium ion batteries have NOT progressed much over the last few decades. The only thing that has enabled micro electronics to continue to improve their battery life is processor energy consumption and the move from LCD to LED, to micro LED. The batteries have very little to do with the battery life increase because their energy densities have not changed significantly, this is a fact. This is why the Hummer EV needs 3000lbs of batteries. They can play around with the chemistries to allow for fast charging but it has not increased the energy density by any substantial margin.

Again, we are not discussing LFP batteries, these are not used in the Cybertruck. Additionally, if China had any IP protections for foreign companies, the 4680's would be manufactured there as well.
TSLAQ: EV battery energy density not changed in decades. U.S. Dept Energy: Energy Density of Lithium-ion Batteries Increased by More than Eight Times
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...ies-increased-by-more-than-eight-times.14587/

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
So I guess be glad have 2 reservations....do the founder series then wait for the better one too. Take my money...lol
I too have two. This generous numerous crisis.

Should or should not the 2nd have a wrap?

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Built in the space for it, and Wes confirmed it was "half full" other. Not going to get much more confirmation than that out of Tesla, but it is coming.
I'm thinking now that Tesla will ditch the 4680s and fill the space with larger, CATL rectangular space filling batteries.. Built in USA.. This will require a redesigned structural pack. But 500 mile range is coming!!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Not to mention the additional time that would be required to charge another 123 kWh of batteries. People are already complaining about the time it takes to charge a 1/2 full pack. I could just imagine how they’d tear Tesla down for giving them more range but not being able to charge 400 miles in 15 minutes.
A larger pack would get rid of the massive ramp down on the existing pack, but would take longer to fill overall, from a v3 SC.

It really needs 800V SC and um better batteries...Chinese vans are doing 530kW already. Tesla is well and truly behind the curve already. Thats more than 2x v3 SC.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
This has been rumored for a while but cat is pretty much out of the bag now.
Youtubers with 340 mile range cybertrucks are complaining already.

Good news for people who want to use Cybertruck as a work truck, haul things, or not have to charge contstantly.
Battery pack size can be doubled, found by Sandy, CONFIRMED by Wes.

GREAT news for CT reservation holders and STOCKHOLDERS!

Range extender likely the planned bandaid for the early Foundation Series trucks.

FINALLY some good news on the CT for everyone, unless you are a Tesla hater then sorry.

4356324732473474102024.png

39823461258734564492024 (1).png
39823461258734564492024 (2).png
a39823461258734564492024 (3).png
The spaces Sandy noted around the battery pack are crash crumple zones and gas exhaust areas, as he said in his teardown.

mhaze

First Name
mhike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3; Smartcar; F150 Raptor; Avalanche 2500 4x4
Country flag
The spaces Sandy noted around the battery pack are crash crumple zones and gas exhaust areas, as he said in his teardown.
Just a note for 'the complainers'. IIRC, the dual motor was originally cited at 300-350 miles range - which it has. The Tri motor was cited at 500 miles, which it is not achieving.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
A larger pack would get rid of the massive ramp down on the existing pack, but would take longer to fill overall, from a v3 SC.

It really needs 800V SC and um better batteries...Chinese vans are doing 530kW already. Tesla is well and truly behind the curve already. Thats more than 2x v3 SC.

According to Tesla, the Cybertruck can replenish up to 136 miles or range (AWD version) in 15 minutes. That's about 40 percent points of the battery capacity. The upcoming upgrade will increase that to 154 miles in 15 minutes

And once you learn how to optimize travel, 5% - 50% is all you want. These numbers are actually in-line with the Model 3 and Model Y

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
According to Tesla, the Cybertruck can replenish up to 136 miles or range (AWD version) in 15 minutes. That's about 40 percent points of the battery capacity. The upcoming upgrade will increase that to 154 miles in 15 minutes

And once you learn how to optimize travel, 5% - 50% is all you want. These numbers are actually in-line with the Model 3 and Model Y
That's actually even slower than I thought in comparison to the Li Auto van still.

The bottleneck is not just the batteries, and this was evident from Kyles cross country trip where he was SC hopping to try to win.

The SC's are a bottleneck in themselves, in that they aren't designed for extended periods of high power output, and start to ramp because of temperatures sensors in the charge cable that derate as the cable heats up. This happened on every SC they visited and was why they were artificially cooling the cable and plug with a wet rag.

They should have taken a little DC fan with as well, to avoid the rag getting heat soaked.

This is simply because the old SC network is not designed for Cybertruck, but rather they are optimised for vehicles with half the battery capacity, being M3/MY.

What works for one smaller battery, doesn't necessarily translate to a larger battery and vehicle, that also consumes more per mile, so also charges less miles per minute because the SC is the limiting factor.

Hence my statement that Tesla is behind the charging curve currently available, and needs to get 800V v4 out there not v3 to really make the Cybertruck work as it is designed, using 800V.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
That's actually even slower than I thought in comparison to the Li Auto van still.

The bottleneck is not just the batteries, and this was evident from Kyles cross country trip where he was SC hopping to try to win.

The SC's are a bottleneck in themselves, in that they aren't designed for extended periods of high power output, and start to ramp because of temperatures sensors in the charge cable that derate as the cable heats up. This happened on every SC they visited and was why they were artificially cooling the cable and plug with a wet rag.

They should have taken a little DC fan with as well, to avoid the rag getting heat soaked.

This is simply because the old SC network is not designed for Cybertruck, but rather they are optimised for vehicles with half the battery capacity, being M3/MY.

What works for one smaller battery, doesn't necessarily translate to a larger battery and vehicle, that also consumes more per mile, so also charges less miles per minute because the SC is the limiting factor.

Hence my statement that Tesla is behind the charging curve currently available, and needs to get 800V v4 out there not v3 to really make the Cybertruck work as it is designed, using 800V.

Are you aware that V3 Superchargers use liquid cooled cables. They really don't get that warm. Even the V2 cables don't get much more than warm. As an EE, I am well aware of when something is getting too hot.

I really don't trust anything that Social Influencers do. They have proven, including Kyle, that they seldom get things right. Right doesn't increase clicks and therefore money.

Yes, the Superchargers are indeed an issue right now, but not for the reasons that you suggest. Right now it's because they are limited to 400V.

But the big thing is that you have to learn how to road trip with EVs. I'll just say that 20%-80% charging is not the fastest way.

nico007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Beast
Country flag
Battery is absolutely fine as is (disclaimer, I am not planning on towing anything).
Similar range to slightly higher than a model 3, gets you to easily drive 3-3.30 hours which is all you need. I wouldn’t want the truck to get any heavier.

espresso-drumbeat

First Name
Espresso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Finally the clown who started this ridiculous thread got banned so should this thread follow the same fate - abolished and forgotten

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Are you aware that V3 Superchargers use liquid cooled cables. They really don't get that warm. Even the V2 cables don't get much more than warm. As an EE, I am well aware of when something is getting too hot.

I really don't trust anything that Social Influencers do. They have proven, including Kyle, that they seldom get things right. Right doesn't increase clicks and therefore money.

Yes, the Superchargers are indeed an issue right now, but not for the reasons that you suggest. Right now it's because they are limited to 400V.

But the big thing is that you have to learn how to road trip with EVs. I'll just say that 20%-80% charging is not the fastest way.
You repeating what I say proves you right now? Sweet. I'm now officially a source of facts!

I said:

Hence my statement that Tesla is behind the charging curve currently available, and needs to get 800V v4 out there not v3 to really make the
Cybertruck work as it is designed, using 800V.
Further: you are missing the extra point on how current from a SC is controlled, namely by vehicle BMS and thermal limits of the system, including the temp sensors in the cables. It's very common to use temperture as a derate on high power systems, as excessive heat leads to failure, and this includes SC. Hence also why artificially changing these temperature sensors changes the rate. If it's advisable to use a rag is another thing, and is why I said a portable DC fan with mister, directed away from the connector, would of worked better to cool overall. The set points of temp/current determine how it ramps down. You'll find its resolution is to a degree, which is why the rag changes the rate despite the cable being cooled internally.

Once again this highlights the fact that SC v3 were never designed to operate with a CT pack in mind, rather that the CT split pack design which is "re-configurable" for using at SC v2-3 until a 800V SC cames out, so it wouldn’t need to split the pack to charge. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it does mean the v3 are in fact a generation behind CT, which in turn means tripping with the CT is currently sub-opitmal, and once v4 @ 800V is available it will get much better than it is now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.