Hoppi

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri-motor
Country flag
LOL... if you cant park the NORMAL sized cybertruck in a NORMAL sized parking space you should reconsider your purchase.

I seriously dont understand everyone's obsession with the Cybertruck so called "massive dimensions"... getting old quick. Please compare to all other full size trucks on the market.
LOL
Normal size is very different in various locations. Out in the Midwest, nearly any size truck can fit in nearly any parking space. Often with room to open doors for entry/exit.

Out here in Seattle area though, most parking lots have a majority of compact spaces that are tight even for midsize vehicles. Then further away are the “normal” spaces. But even in these normal sized spaces, it is often the case that a full size SUV or regular size truck will actually be wider than the space itself even with the doors closed. I often see vehicles parked in the center of a space but with the tires on or over the lines on both sides.

Often in those parking lots, if a full size SUV is parked on each side of the entry lane, they will both stick out so far that it is very tight trying to drive between them to find another spot.

And then if you try to turn to go down a different lane, you may have to do a tight 3-point turn to even get around the tight corners to get to the next lane.

Basically around here, parking policy is being used to de-incentivize “large”vehicles as a part of climate change policy.

Oh, and it doesn’t help that lots of compact cars like to park in the normal size spaces so they can minimize door dings.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
LOL... if you cant park the NORMAL sized cybertruck in a NORMAL sized parking space you should reconsider your purchase.

I seriously dont understand everyone's obsession with the Cybertruck so called "massive dimensions"... getting old quick. Please compare to all other full size trucks on the market.
I totally agree. The only thing is that it is long, otherwise, it's only a couple inches longer and taller than by midsize SUV (Palisade).

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Basically around here, parking policy is being used to de-incentivize “large”vehicles as a part of climate change policy.

Oh, and it doesn’t help that lots of compact cars like to park in the normal size spaces so they can minimize door dings.
This type of social engineering often backfires. If small cars take normal stalls and the normal stall are fewer as they make mini stalls standard, then I see large vehicles taking two stalls as being standard practice out of necessity.

The Law of Unintended Consequences rules fools.

Idaho_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM 3/4 ton
Country flag
This type of social engineering often backfires. If small cars take normal stalls and the normal stall are fewer as they make mini stalls standard, then I see large vehicles taking two stalls as being standard practice out of necessity.

The Law of Unintended Consequences rules fools.
The smaller parking spaces marked with the large "C" are for Cummins Pickups correct?

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
Been driving 1/2 ton 4 door pickups for the past 20 years. Just going from all mirror spot location and visuals to a backup camera was amazing. Really made the process of parking in tighter spots less puckering and confidence building. Not to mention hooking up a trailer. Turned that into a one man job with greatly increased accuracy.

This thing is going to park itself most of the time. I think it will be an absolute eye opening experience when i drive it and have to park for the first time. I'll probably laugh my ass off.

With that said pull through stations are needed and I'm sure they will be built out this year. Maybe not in the numbers we would like, but once the deliveries and demand increase the pull through stations will also.

Cybertrucks have a total length of 19’4” (231.7” | 588.5 cm), overall width of 6’8” (79.8” | 202.7 cm), and height of 6’3” (75” | 190.5 cm).

My Ram is 2 inches shorter (have the 5'7" bed), 2 inches taller (air suspension may vary), and is the same width (not including mirrors). The good thing is I gain a real 6.5 foot bed and only 2 inches total in length of the vehicle. Can't wait.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
LOL
Normal size is very different in various locations. Out in the Midwest, nearly any size truck can fit in nearly any parking space. Often with room to open doors for entry/exit.

Out here in Seattle area though, most parking lots have a majority of compact spaces that are tight even for midsize vehicles. Then further away are the “normal” spaces. But even in these normal sized spaces, it is often the case that a full size SUV or regular size truck will actually be wider than the space itself even with the doors closed. I often see vehicles parked in the center of a space but with the tires on or over the lines on both sides.

Often in those parking lots, if a full size SUV is parked on each side of the entry lane, they will both stick out so far that it is very tight trying to drive between them to find another spot.

And then if you try to turn to go down a different lane, you may have to do a tight 3-point turn to even get around the tight corners to get to the next lane.

uhhhh ok ... good luck.

lqdchkn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT
Country flag
I've always preferred mid-size, Dakota, Colorado, etc. That slightly narrower 2-ish inches is golden offroad. It'll take some getting used to going up to full-size for CT but without side mirrors Im hoping it wont be as noticeable as im thinking

luisma

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Silverado 1500
Occupation
Sales
Country flag

I know people get hung up on the size of the CT but comparing any full size truck to the CT they are very similar in dimensions. lol

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I know people get hung up on the size of the CT but comparing any full size truck to the CT they are very similar in dimensions. lol
CT tends to be smaller in fact!

cybertrucktruckguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, 2018 Tundra Limited, 2016 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Most definitely.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well lets look at ICE fueling vs EV Charging for a min:

1. Currently it's much faster to fill up a ICE with fuel then charge a Tesla or any EV for that matter (this will eventually change)
2.Part of the issue is Tesla is not franchising their supercharger tech. Unlike gas stations which may be a certain brand like Chevron the owners franchise the name and buy the fuel from Chevron. Tesla has not done this.
3. Telsa superchargers are DC charging and only work with Teslas. Unlike ICE fueling stations, this would be the equivalent of having a Chevron station that only fuels Ford vehicles and only provides Diesel. Those who are setting up EV stations are using the more generic standard connectors (IE CCS Combo 2) to service as many vehicles as possible. In the European market everyone uses the same connector (even Tesla) as it is mandated by the government. That has not happened here in the states. TBH those of us at a certain age recall the VHS / BetaMAX wars of the 80s until the VHS standard won out.

I feel this is one of the bigger issues facing wide spread EV adoption today.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Well lets look at ICE fueling vs EV Charging for a min:

1. Currently it's much faster to fill up a ICE with fuel then charge a Tesla or any EV for that matter (this will eventually change)
I'd say my average time dedicated to charging is perhaps 5 seconds each time I come home. On long trips its a little different. In the old days of ICE we would spend perhaps an hour out of 12 on fuel/bio/food stops on our biannual 600 mile migration. With the Tesla it is now about - 1 hour.

2.Part of the issue is Tesla is not franchising their supercharger tech. Unlike gas stations which may be a certain brand like Chevron the owners franchise the name and buy the fuel from Chevron. Tesla has not done this.
I neither use nor need other manufacturers' chargers (except in remote parts of Canada where there is no Telsa presence). I don't think Telsa changing over to CCS would improve that situation one bit. I can still charge at a non Tesla charger should it prove necessary or convenient.

3. Telsa superchargers are DC charging and only work with Teslas.
And 350 kW EA chargers are DC and don't work with Teslas. What does that have to do with anything? Do you think that if an iPace could charge at a Tesla charger they would sell more of them? Perhaps. There were in the past many discussions here about how Rivian would just have to cut a deal with Tesla for use of the SC network in order to sell any cars. That has not proven to be the case as the EA network is now adequate if not quite as fully populated as we might like.

TBH those of us at a certain age recall the VHS / BetaMAX wars of the 80s until the VHS standard won out.
You could not, in those days, buy an adapter that let you play a Beta tape on a VHS machine but you can today buy an adapter that lets you charge your Tesla at a CHAdeMO or (in Europe) CCS equipped station. The adapter is not sold in the US because it really isn't needed. The Tesla network is adequate for the Tesla fleet - for the moment.

I feel this is one of the bigger issues facing wide spread EV adoption today.
Don't think so, The high initial cost of a BEV is clearly the biggest deterrent. No place to charge it was at one time one of the FUDsters most powerful weapons. I don't think that's true any more but I do see people worrying about it right here.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla making available CCS charging on their cars and chargers would massively help adoption. But they didn't create this situation: There were two other standards widely adopted at the time so that we're down to a few is great.

And Tesla has states they will license their tech to vendors - the problem isn't franchises, it's that there is no direct profit-motive to having chargers. Tesla tries to price at cost, and others that try to price higher find that their set-up costs are way higher than possible market.

When it costs a hundred grand to put in the most basic DC station, that's alot of recharging to pay it back.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Tesla making available CCS charging on their cars and chargers would massively help adoption. But they didn't create this situation: There were two out standards widely adopted at the time so that we're down to a few is great.

And Tesla has states they will license their tech to vendors - the problem isn't franchises, it's that there is no direct profit-motive to having chargers. Tesla tries to price at cost, and others that try to price higher find that their set-up costs are way higher than possible market.

When it costs a hundred grand to put in the most basic DC station, that's alot of recharging to pay it back.

-Crissa
True but how much to do you think it costs to put in a petrol station? Gas pumps tanks, supporting buildings and hardware. Not to mention all the environmental hoops.

It can be a profitable endeavor if the volume of EVs warrant it.
Sponsored