Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
Narrow streets (easy to find in Europe), enter/exit narrow garages, narrow parking spots, narrow trails!!!!!
Got it - so it sounds like you're in favor of steer-by-wire and variable steering ratio for that reason? It sounded like you were implying it was old therefore bad/outdated.

kraal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
Country flag
Got it - so it sounds like you're in favor of steer-by-wire and variable steering ratio for that reason? It sounded like you were implying it was old therefore bad/outdated.
All that is welcome, but it´s not new. Most European cars use it!

The problem that I see, is if you need to steer the yoke more than -90º-0-90º it won't be an easy task. (on a F1 they don´t need to do sharp turns/parking/... and they can see the wheels)
Then if you are able to turn the wheels end to end on a 180º movement, will be tricky to operate the car/truck.

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
All that is welcome, but it´s not new. Most European cars use it!

The problem that I see, is if you need to steer the yoke more than -90º-0-90º it won't be an easy task. (on a F1 they don´t need to do sharp turns/parking/... and they can see the wheels)
Then if you are able to turn the wheels end to end on a 180º movement, will be tricky to operate the car/truck.
Yeah I completely agree with you, it's not practical to spin the yoke around but people have gotten used to it. I'll basically buy whatever Tesla is selling :). But you're right, I do hope its variable and not more than 90 0 90 in most situations.

Michael Dobbs

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, model 3 and model S
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Country flag
I think steer by wire is the only way the yoke will work, software based variable steering ratio sounds amazing. I'm a tech guy, lets make as much of this truck software as we can...
I have a model S with yoke steering wheel. I have no problems in slow speed situations and the stalkless configuration took about 5 minutes for me to get used to.
I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for 99% of buyers….

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I have a model S with yoke steering wheel. I have no problems in slow speed situations and the stalkless configuration took about 5 minutes for me to get used to.
Thanks for confirming and you lucky bastard!

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Thanks for giving us feedback from actual experience instead of the rest of us stating our guesses as fact.

I have one question, if you don't mind me asking. Do you ever signal WHILE turning. For example, If I turn right onto a road with multiple lanes I always (unlike many) turn into the right most lane, then signal to change lanes to the left one if needed. Often I signal for the lane change while I"m still in the process of turning right. I'm afraid that with the steering wheel not centered it may take some extra brain power to find the left signal button. Have you experienced this?

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
It will be harder to intentionally break wheel contact with the road or dirt using a yoke, and you cant let a yoke slide past your hand.

I suppose we’ll figure it out one way or another.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck will have yoke steering wheel, Elon Musk says will be a ‘tech bandwagon’

November 29, 2021

Elon Musk confirmed that the Tesla Cybertruck will have a yoke steering wheel…

While it most likely will ship with the yoke Elon has NOT confirmed it. An implication is not a confirmation. The title of your post is deceitful and clickbait

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I hope FSD is in full effect by then because the yoke steering wheel is the only thing that I don't like about the CT.

P.s. I know I'm dreaming
I love the look of the yoke, it fits the CT design language perfectly, but the functionality of a yoke without steer-by-wire in a truck is a no-go, especially when it’s supposed to be aimed at those needing a utility/work/adventure vehicle.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I wish more people understood this. A yoke is only for expert and highly skilled drivers, amateurs cannot handle a yoke well and will bump into things and lose control of the vehicle because yokes require mad skillz that most people simple can't acquire.

Very dangerous in the hands of over-confident amateurs!
I beg to vehemently disagree.

I have been doing this for nearly 4 months now. I do not have a yoke but have practiced using only the leather hand holds on the steering wheel at 9 and 3. It was just a few weeks of self-correction when I placed my hands where an arch would not be on a yoke. Now I do not even think about it. I can parallel park, do 3-point turns, reverse and everything else using only a yoke pattern hand hold. And I can do most of my driving like this with only 1 hand.

‘Perhaps I am that exceptional formula one driver, or live in Lake Wobegone, or the average person can do it. You choose.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I beg to vehemently disagree.

I have been doing this for nearly 4 months now. I do not have a yoke but have practiced using only the leather hand holds on the steering wheel at 9 and 3. It was just a few weeks of self-correction when I placed my hands where an arch would not be on a yoke. Now I do not even think about it. I can parallel park, do 3-point turns, reverse and everything else using only a yoke pattern hand hold. And I can do most of my driving like this with only 1 hand.

‘Perhaps I am that exceptional formula one driver, or live in Lake Wobegone, or the average person can do it. You choose.
I know, humans are amazing at learning new ways to do things!

That's why my post was sarcastic. ;)
Sponsored