Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Maybe the majority of forest service trucks in Santa Cruz are 2 wheel drive, but I have never seen a 2 wheel drive forest service truck in the mountains of Colorado.
Well, lucky you. How many times are you going to imply I have never lived anywhere but Santa Cruz and be insulting as well as ignorant?

-Crissa
Sponsored

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
If the ct will be 3% smaller, what are the detentions now?

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
New dimensions with 3% reduction.
New
L: 224.8"
W: 77.5"
H: 72.75"

Old:
L: 231.7"
W: 79.8"
H: 75"

For cross reference.
2020 Toyota Tundra crew max:
L: 228.9"
W: 79.9
H: 76.2

2021 F150 supercrew 5.5ft bed 4x4.

L: 231.7
W: 79.9
H: 77.2
Thank. You for putting this together!

K Doc Brown 007

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion & 2019 Jeep Rubicon
Country flag
The first thing that came to mind when shrinkage is mentioned is the Seinfeld episode when the gang goes on a trip to the Hamptons and after being in cold water Elaine's friend walked in on George in a bathroom who was naked and starts laughing at him and of course George was being very dramatic
Well, a lot of people posting here are being very dramatic about this 3% reduction issue. Lot of ‘George Castanza’s’ here. Seriously, it’s freaking 3%.... get a grip people

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Well, a lot of people posting here are being very dramatic about this 3% reduction issue. Lot of ‘George Castanza’s’ here. Seriously, it’s freaking 3%.... get a grip people
Right, and it is sure Elon is talking about outside dimensions. Why should that matter.

It is inside dimensions that matter.
Elon has said nothing to indicate the bed as going to be shorter than 6.5 FT.
That the payload or towing would be less.

In fact he indicated the opposite of people's worries. He said final would be better than the concept version.

Last edited:

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Charger, Honda Odyssey, Tesla M3, MY.
Occupation
Retired. Tier II Desktop Support Tech, Southern California Edison
Country flag
I don't understand the fascination with solar panels on top. Maybe you can charge all day to crawl a few miles at night like a Martian rover. It might be a nice capability if you're trying to stay off the grid in the Gobi Desert and don't have any time constraints.
I will use my CT on the weekends so it will get free charging during the week as it will be parked outside all the time. Even if it gets about 20 miles per hour charge, it is more than adequate for my driving needs. I certainly can do without the glass roof for this option!

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I will use my CT on the weekends so it will get free charging during the week as it will be parked outside all the time. Even if it gets about 20 miles per hour charge, it is more than adequate for my driving needs. I certainly can do without the glass roof for this option!
My guestimate is that to charge at 20 miles per hour would require a medium-sized home solar panel installation, certainly well above anything self-contained portable on the truck.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My guestimate is that to charge at 20 miles per hour would require a medium-sized home solar panel installation, certainly well above anything self-contained portable on the truck.
Well, it's possible you could stack that many panels in the back of the truck.

...But you wouldn't have anything else as your load. That's 20 400W panels plus wiring and framing. That's 20 panels that would lie flat in the bed of the truck, taking up pretty much the entire space. You'd have just enough room left over for cables and controller.

-Crissa

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oops! I meant to say 20 miles per day charge. My bad!

Gogster2k

First Name
Gogian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Oops! I meant to say 20 miles per day charge. My bad!

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Are you saying you can't do Elon's job because your parents are old? Your point isn't clear.
You missed the point entirely. I was saying I would not accept money I did not earn, because of the morals I was raised with. I would not accept Elon's salary because I obviously do not have his talents. I would have to be quite a numbskull to blame something I can't do on my parents. It would be pretty lame of me to lay blame on my parents for something I couldn't do rather than simply to man up. My son is in a PhD Rocket Propulsion program, another is a PhD poultry geneticist and is responsible for much of the fryers and broilers you may eat. I don't begin to take credit for what they can do, nor blame for what they can't do. They stand on their own, as do I. Understand what I wrote now?

drscot

Banned
Banned
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired physician
Country flag
Those surfaces are always exposed to light.
The cabin is always using power ameliorating that absorbed radiation.
The battery tending system is always using power keeping the pack warm or cool.
The communication system is always updating.

And so you have a big battery pack in the sun. Why wouldn't you want to put solar on it? It doesn't need inverters to charge, either, so it would be more efficient than panels mounted on your house.

-Crissa
It depends on the cost. If it is included as part of the standard equipment, then sure. How many miles' charge on an optimal day was it? 15? I don't remember, but it wasn't much and considering the likely cost of accessories and the fact that mine will sit in my garage most of the time, there will not be enough bang for the buck to justify the most likely substantial add-on cost. Considering night driving, stormy or cloudy weather and suboptimal exposure angles, the optimal benefit will rarely be achieved in my opinion, but that's just my opinion, and why I wouldn't order solar. Solar is not even near competitive where I live. I priced several different set-ups including power walls, and none of them would do the job I needed. A natural gas standby generator powers my entire 2700 sq ft home with reserve available at 1/10th the cost I was quoted for the most expensive solar with no backup. 1/5th the cost of the cheapest no-frills panels. Backup limited to 24 hours. Generator whirs along as long as it has natural gas. Never had a gas failure in 69 years. Not one. Solar has promise, but it isn't a panacea.
Sponsored