Exoskeleton vs crumple zones

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
A huge change in the CT is this exoskeleton construction. My question is how does this exoskeleton function in a wreck... vs another vehicle, vs a person, vs a tree, or whatever? I'm very concerned when I think about the CT vs a person; but, I'm also wondering about our own safety with no real crumple zones. I have to think that Elon has thought of this, and possibly has unseen joints (on the backside) that will fail at a point, and provide crash mitigation.

Certainly, all of our hopes are not pinned on crash avoidance by the computer system. At some point, there will be an impact that is not caught by the cameras/computer/etc.; and I hope it's not a tragic result. peace
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It has crumple zones. It has to have them for US sales. There's no reason the exoskeleton can't have them: They're just strategic failure points, much like the scoring and folding they say they're doing to make the truck.

Crumple zones don't activate vs a person, anyhow. ...unless they're very soft, like air bags.

It's otherwise like a unibody car, just with a harder outer shell. We'll get to see how it performs in crash tests eventually.

-Crissa

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The energy involved in a collision with a tree or another vehicle is many orders of magnitude greater than that from a sledge hammer. So it can be strong enough to withstand incidental damage, and still crumple like an aluminum can when necessary! Also, I don’t think the CT is anything new when it comes to endangering pedestrians, the large flat grills of most trucks these days means pedestrians are an afterthought. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that pedestrian safety regulations may be almost nonexistent for trucks.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The energy involved in a collision with a tree or another vehicle is many orders of magnitude greater than that from a sledge hammer. So it can be strong enough to withstand incidental damage, and still crumple like an aluminum can when necessary! Also, I don’t think the CT is anything new when it comes to endangering pedestrians, the large flat grills of most trucks these days means pedestrians are an afterthought. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that pedestrian safety regulations may be almost nonexistent for trucks.
Look at police and emergency vehicles. Best pedestrian and biker killing machines available outside of the military :) Any argument that can be made by the NHTSA for passenger cars and trucks would have to be, IMO, applicable to those vehicles as well.

OP
OP

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Hey Luke, In the pre-"lectric world, I had a hard time driving anything truck-wise other than GM. I had tried to look at other builds, but my brain simply wouldn't let me do anything else. Now, with Elon and the new CyberTruck, I'm actually excited to try something so new and feature-filled. I can't wait. peace

OP
OP

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
The other vehicle is your crumple zone
haha... I hope not. That could be a motorcycle... and the crumple zone of that might be the rider, sad to say. I can't wait to see the final pictures, specifications and maybe get a deep look either online (Tesla.com) or in a brochure. peace
Sponsored