First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla broke my expectations.

The entire idea that you have to push a start button is weird. I can understand the need to support a key of some sort, but once the car “knows” you are there pushing a button is just extraneous.
Sponsored

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag

The entire idea that you have to push a start button is weird. I can understand the need to support a key of some sort, but once the car “knows” you are there pushing a button is just extraneous.
These are the old ways. Not too long from now, people will laugh at cars that have a push button to start. THERES NOTHING TO START!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
These are the old ways. Not too long from now, people will laugh at cars that have a push button to start. THERES NOTHING TO START!
The start button was redundant with the shift lever.

Now Tesla’s gone one step further; the shift lever is itself redundant. You just get in and apply the brake then the gas pedal and it figures out which direction you are going.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
The start button was redundant with the shift lever.

Now Tesla’s gone one step further; the shift lever is itself redundant. You just get in and apply the brake then the gas pedal and it figures out which direction you are going.
One of many reasons the Tesla drive experience is superior to Ford, GM, (probably Rivian), etc. The others are clinging to the old ways, familiarity is holding them back from making a truly better vehicle.

Musk is the only one with the balls to take a chance on radical new features.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One of many reasons the Tesla drive experience is superior to Ford, GM, (probably Rivian), etc. The others are clinging to the old ways, familiarity is holding them back from making a truly better vehicle.

Or Fuck up gloriously.

Sometimes Tesla’s experiments are just oddball. The doors on the Model X come to mind.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag

Close friend of mine moved to Denver many years ago. He has since purchased a Model Y. He came back in town and rented an ICE car. He forgot to turn it off twice.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wonder if Ford will be like Windows.

You have to press the Start button to switch the car off.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Does CT have an upside over conventional ICE ?

Yes, the CT is nearly half the price per mile, and 90% less for maintenance, and far more reliable over time.

No more.. ohh my transmission is gone, my fuel line is broken, my fan is rooted + multiplied by 100 other things.

I think we not just at the cusp of catching up, but past it.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Um… generally these upgrades are a way to eake out more retail cash out of customers. So the base price can be a bit lower even though almost no one will actually get the base level vehicle.

Plus the more complicated the options, the more necessary the dealership sales department becomes.

It’s all a manipulation to increase sales.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Close friend of mine moved to Denver many years ago. He has since purchased a Model Y. He came back in town and rented an ICE car. He forgot to turn it off twice.
Our Subaru gets driven about once every other week; usually by my dear wife who lets me have priority on the Tesla since she drives far more than I do and is usually in the Tesla.

Today I went for a short trip and in one trip nearly forgot to lock it when I left it, then when I got home I‘d already gathered up all my gear and was just about out of the car when I realized the ignition was still on and the keys were in the ignition.

We forget so quickly.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I must be missing something. Sure it is not 100% touchscreen like the Tesla, but everything can be done on the Ford touchscreen, with a few buttons/dials for added convenience for those quick and frequent adjustments.

For example, if I'm wanting to change my temperature from 68 to 72, I'm going to turn the dial 100% of the time rather than navigate through the touchscreen to make the same adjustment.

Sure, just comparing the touchscreens, Tesla's is lightyears ahead, but I actually prefer having the quick convenience of buttons/dials for some frequently used features.
There was a thread, don't remember which, where the amount of buttons was widely discussed... for awhile... more opinions about buttons than I thought existed so it was a riff on that thread.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag

Aw man, come on now, GM is leading the way in EV technology. So I've heard. It even comes with a forward and reverse / start switch.

Tesla Cybertruck F-150 Lightning battery capacities revealed: 98 kWh / 131 kWh 1639799583103

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Aw man, come on now, GM is leading the way in EV technology. So I've heard. It even comes with a forward and reverse / start switch.

1639799583103.png
Sponsored