Foundation Series Remorse

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
as of yesterday,** one giant step closer to it

**had a vasectomy
But you still have your twigs and berry's, right?
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
If you're going to a destination, there are usually plugs there.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 11.50.38ā€ÆPM.png

Why don't you use them?

-Crissa
I certainly have in the past BUT it has to be a VERY solid situation in that I know there are several plugs and high probability of it being open. I don't need to add frustration to my adventure.

It really narrows down the places you can stay (at the hotel or very near (which brings up security)).

I've only done that at a couple hotels (Red lodge MT was one example above I used). Or my families dryer plug, welder plug, compressor plug ...

You also have to narrow the options down to NACS, J1772, 14-50 unless you have a new vehicle that has the CCS hardware and you have a CCS adapter.

On adventures ... ESPECIALLY ... with family/friends, I want simplicity and surety.
Look at this example I just saw on TMC:
On my way from NE to FL. Stayed at the Hilton Garden in Rocky Mount SC since they advertised EV chargers.

I got up early to charge before leaving and found ICE cars parked in all four stations even though there were about about two dozen open spots 30 feet away. When I informed the desk they stated that they did not control the spaces. Whatā€™s the point of being EV friendly if you donā€™t care about its use?

We have a long way to go before EV are respected and accepted by the mainstream.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I have two words for you. Frozen Peasā€¦
and two more. NFL Playoffsā€¦ wait, is NFL one word?
jesus you just made me realize I havenā€™t done any icing since the procedure yesterday morning!!
thankfully I havenā€™t had an issue - yet
Do NOT rent comedy videos!! Do not ask me how I know this advice.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
WD40 on the windshield works wonders for that situation.
At least thatā€™s what a friend told meā€¦ā€¦.
That'd feel like bad karma :sneaky: ... honey would seem more environmentally friendly ... seems dangerous tho. Perhaps a few drops on the passenger side so the spouse can't see and complains to the driver for a few hours. Oh those are devilish thoughts ... hey fantasies can be fun sometimes.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I'm located in Thunderbay , Ontario , Canada.
I work on repairing mining equipment. Cold is in my blood and I have the leather skin to deal with it. We are tough workers up here. And we hate Trudeau lol

Really warm weather today : 10 Fahrenheit but -32 Fahrenheit is pretty common

BTW the tires on the CT ARE not good for winter. Any truck including my Toyota Tundra - ITS a must to have separate steel rims with proper winter tires - all season tires are bs and should never be used for winter.

Also wrapped cars are a big no up here - low temperature will make the vinyl go brittle . I love the stainless steel look !
Aside from the Supercharger in Thunder Bay, there are a half dozen CCS stations and there seems to be well spaced Superchargers along Lake Superior on our side of the line, as well as your side.
There are a lot of Canadians enamored with Teslas and if you charge overnight, they are seeing minimal range loss in the winter.
One of the big things for colder climates are the heat seaters, but the nicest is that from a cold start on a cold morning, there's heat flowing in about 30 seconds. No engine block to warm up. And if you hit the app button, it's warm by the time you get to the vehicle.

But like every truck out there, it needs to fit your needs.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Well the settlers got a free homestead at the end of their journey and the CT currently costs $113k so there is that :)
For many of us we have a commute to work that is 100ish miles, and without charging options at work the CT may not make it to/from work without a charge. Some people work from home, and others have to drive to work, some families take road trips, others stay at a resort. Lots of use cases, just limited numbers with the CT having around 200miles of range.
Clearing throat.... BS

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I keep a spare charge cable, an appropriately rated "extension cord" and every adapter known to man in the frunk. But I've found in a pinch, just renting a spot at any RV park and camping in the back is a great way to get around rough areas. RV parks are everywhere. I use RV Parky app to find them (can filter by 50amp).
How many times have you used each of the adapters?

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Less I think. I wonder if Tesla will try to make me a deal at the end of my lease. I might buy it out for $15000. I doubt they will be able to sell it for much more after my 3 years, 5% battery degradation and little remaining warranty.
Did your lease allow you to buy it? I know that for a while, Tesla leases were absolutely no purchase options.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
I'm located in Thunderbay , Ontario , Canada.
I work on repairing mining equipment. Cold is in my blood and I have the leather skin to deal with it. We are tough workers up here. And we hate Trudeau lol

Really warm weather today : 10 Fahrenheit but -32 Fahrenheit is pretty common

BTW the tires on the CT ARE not good for winter. Any truck including my Toyota Tundra - ITS a must to have separate steel rims with proper winter tires - all season tires are bs and should never be used for winter.

Also wrapped cars are a big no up here - low temperature will make the vinyl go brittle . I love the stainless steel look !

IMG_5349.jpeg

IMG_5350.jpeg

Yeah the steel wheels are a Canadian thing I get it. I go across to BC on a regular basis. The steel rims appear. Then I go back across they go away. It was -41 this morning at 9:15. Proper inflation, and avoiding corrosion on rim kind of negate it, but if you want to treat it like crap steel is the way to go.

Not sure I agree with you on the wrapping. Both my cars are full PPF, and do just fine. Maybe Xpel is different than color wrap.

Carnut12

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla S, 2022 Tesla Y
Country flag
I am in the same boat. Got the invite and the FOMO feeling overwhelmed me. Out of millions of pre-orders, here I am getting the invite. How could I not do it? Impulsively pulled out the card and deposited my $1000. Just got the trade in offer for my $70k after taxes and after Tesla rebate of $7500. What was the trade in value for a pristine MY with 12k miles? $36k. My car lost $34k in 13 months.
No I am asking myself if this is insane and the answer keeps coming up as yes. I am being "invited" to pay and extra $20k to be first in line and get the crappiest built testing phase of production and being forced to pay for FSD and other features that aren't worth $20k to me. And this is coming from a company that I honestly just don't trust because of all the broken promises and shady dealings (bought 2 Model Ys last year and had daily harassing texts to make sure I would take delivery in December....why? because two weeks later they knew they were dropping the price by $20k. It felt like Tesla sold me two cars and then came to my house a couple weeks later and bashed them with hammers to destroy their value.)
Barring some change or variable unseen, I think I am going to eat the $1000 and cancel my order. I love Tesla vehicles but the company has been a huge disappointment to me and I feel like owning the Cybertruck will just be endless frustration and feelings of being ripped off when it is sitting in the garage a year from now still waiting for FSD and autopilot to be added.
It is a bummer that companies just don't care at all about customers anymore and it seems like the ones that make the most money off of us care the least.
Congrats to someone out there, you will probably move up in line by one spot soon.
I am in the same boat, bought a Y and an S last year. My S wasnā€™t due in until January, they were calling and emailing like crazy to buy before the price changes, talked me into taking one in inventory for 10K free supercharger miles. If I wouldā€™ve waited for my original order I wouldā€™ve saved a ton. I lost $52K between the 2 cars. The Y is on me I paid what I felt it was worth months before the price change. The S was 100% influenced by them, that is not caring about your customers. Iā€™d have no issue if they werenā€™t begging me to get one early, that was wrong.

Iā€˜ve been tempted to move on from Tesla. I have a Cybertruck on order, Iā€™m probably going to skip it more due to range and the amount of time it takes to charge.

Sorry to hear you got jacked too, Iā€™m sure there are many of us.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
My concern about the range is:
  1. Is the charging speed going to be addressed or improved? If not, then #2
  2. People are starting to take delivery of a Cybertruck with a potential newer 4680 battery that can offer up to 10% to 20% more range. So in theory, the AWD Foundation Series could have LESS range than the Cyberbeast which is slated to be released in the latter half of 2024. The resale value of the Foundation Series AWD will plummet.
I believe Tesla should delay/stop the delivery of all Cybertrucks until the 4680v3 they are converting to is ready.

As someone who has a AWD Foundation Series on order, I hope I donā€™t get a VIN number email. Gaining 20% range is pretty significant. If given the option, I would rather wait for the non-foundation series, which probably wonā€™t see the light of day until the end of 2024/start of 2025ā€¦or pay to get the Cyberbeast.

I just think receiving a product that tips the scale at $114K all in and then to have such a massive battery tech enhancement coming so quickly is bad news all around. I donā€™t want to move to the back of the line (2 million+ people). Not sure what options I have.

I am not sure if anyone shares the same concern.
Sponsored