Franz’s Stainless Steel Finish Ain’t No Off The Press Finish

AeroTool

First Name
CARL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1T RED ROCKET...!!!, F350, Sprinter Van...
Occupation
Mostly RETIRED
Country flag
I didn’t see that interview. But I have done some metal polishing and I would think if we get a light scratch it wouldn’t be too hard to buff it out if there is a factory applied polish/grit level. With how hard stainless is, it would be tough to do that initial polish the whole vehicle at home. So it’s really great that they are doing it. Similar to how people polish their airstreams, but aluminum would be easier to polish in my opinion as the metal is softer.
Yes, aluminum is easier to polish, but scratches and oxidizes easily...
Sponsored

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
If i remember correctly.. the law in texas is either 2 side view mirrors or a rear view in the cab..

Will i remove mine.. prolly not as i don't wanna have to argue that with a cop that doesn't KNKOW the law and assumes they are required... since i was prolly speeding anyway.. no need to give him an extra reason to pull me over!
Here is the text of the Texas Law requiring a (one) mirror.

A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the operator a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

Here is the reference link:
https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._transp._code_section_547.602

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
On a scale of 1-10 I worry about tool scratches around a 2 or 3. I like high quality tools so often spend a lot of money on them. I also use them like tools and don’t worry about scratches, but I also put them in a box when I am done with them and no one cares what they look like. You can’t put the CT in the same category as a power tool and anyone on here that says they will is lying. The better example would be if you had a scratch on your front door or your bathroom mirror would you just leave it. Probably not.
Actually, the power tool analogy fits fairly well. As you said about the tools:
I also use them like tools and don’t worry about scratches, but I also put them in a box when I am done with them and no one cares what they look like.
Well, it's not OFFICIAL till we get to the reveal and see what the actual shipping truck stats are but based on what has been said from Elon and others, the CT was specifically redesigned to be "put in a box" (garage) when not in use. There are others in this group (and I would argue many working truck owners) who would be perfectly happy keeping the truck outside and they may even care about how the truck looks regarding scratches, finger prints etc. But just like the tools you describe, this truck was designed as a quality tool that we will spend a lot of money on that is meant to be kept in a box out of the view of others.

AeroTool

First Name
CARL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mostly RETIRED
Country flag
Cybertruck exterior is supposed to be 3mm of cold-rolled (hardened) 30x stainless steel plates not like your fridge that is probably covered in .2mm soft stainless steel foil.;)

If the stainless steel was hardened, it would crack when they formed it in the press. Yes, stainless is very hard, but not “hardened” before it’s formed.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Cybertruck exterior is supposed to be 3mm of cold-rolled (hardened) 30x stainless steel plates not like your fridge that is probably covered in .2mm soft stainless steel foil.;)

If the stainless steel was hardened, it would crack when they formed it in the press.
There is no press and, yes, it is probably quite difficult to work with.

AeroTool

First Name
CARL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Mostly RETIRED
Country flag
No press..?? How is it made..??

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
No press..?? How is it made..??
They are bent/folded using a press brake as a stamping press would, presumably, be damaged (the dies) for this thickness and hardness. There has been discussion/argument over whether a stamping press could be used but Tesla itself said that it had to be bent/folded. They may still have problems even with a brake in terms of getting exact bend angles.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I kid you not. I bought a nice brand new black stainless frig and on my birthday a week after buying the frig I go to open it and see a basketball size array of scratches so I ask my kids and my youngest thought it would be fun to draw on it with my wife’s earring. Fortunately the CT will be tougher than that.
I had just finished putting a license plate on my first-ever brand new car with my two-year old watching and walked around to the front. I heard her merrily doing something and walked back to the rear to find her using the screw driver on the raw paint.

She’s now a parent with kids of her own. I keep on sending them hammers for their birthdays.
Sponsored