Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford Raptor, 20XX Tesla Cybertruck
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
Hardware 4 and Full self driving computer 2 will "Probably" be introduced with the cybertruck.. Thoughts?

<a href=""></script>
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I read that as cybertruck launches maybe in a year. :D

Lots of wishy woshy from the man himself.

BTW, that robot is laughable. You could hear a pin drop in that room. and not in the good way.

Definitely an example of wtf you doing demoing such an early prototype?! Sometimes it's better to just stay silent and wait till you are ready. Something he hasn't yet learned to do.

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
They had a robot prototype that could walk unaided, pick up boxes, and demonstrate visual acuity. That they built in six months.

No one else has such a device with all these functions.

-Crissa
I watched a bunch of YouTube clips on Boston Dynamics. While more agile they didn't have fingers. They probably gobble power too. They appear to interact with their space using a library of routines like Tesla but they look like they rely on qr codes so not as advanced as Teslas in actual AI.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Hardware 4 and Full self driving computer 2 will "Probably" be introduced with the cybertruck.. Thoughts?

<a href=""></script>
This is old news. It is well known and often said that HW4 will come out first in the CT, but they said HW4 wouldn’t be ready until next year and it is purportedly ready now.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

">
The exact timing is not really important. If HW4 is ready before CT then CT will have HW4. If CT is ready before HW4, then CT will ship with HW3 and get upgraded to HW4 a short time after HW4 becomes available. All CTs will then have HW4.

Not to worry. If you get a CT, you will get HW4.

Keep it running long enough and you might someday get HW5.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
So the first Cybertrucks may or may not have Hardware 4.

Interesting. I love how vague he is ^-^;

-Crissa
“Probably” the SteveJobs ”write once run everywhere” NeXT meme provides FSD cross platform. Teslas everywhere will run FSD someday. Tesla can Rev different hardwares on its platforms individually. The hdwe self-selects the appropriate stack(s).

Hardware4 enables a FSD “single stack”. Engineers more knowledgeable can explain the pixie dust inside. My un-SWAG Hdwe4‘s newest chip specs are big enough to run everything in same namespace, memory and still have n% free-cycles leftover to run future enhancements off-chip. A lower latency == safer FSD.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I watched a bunch of YouTube clips on Boston Dynamics. While more agile they didn't have fingers. They probably gobble power too. They appear to interact with their space using a library of routines like Tesla but they look like they rely on qr codes so not as advanced as Teslas in actual AI.
Boston Dynamics walking robot (Atlas I think) has a 3+ kWh battery and is able to remain mobile for 1 hour. Optimus has a 2.3 kWh cell and is designed to work for 8 hours. Huge difference in efficiency.

Of course Atlas kind of exists where Optimus is a deep prototype only.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Good chance HW4 comes on some other car first now that CT is delayed until 2023.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Good chance HW4 comes on some other car first now that CT is delayed until 2023.
If chips are delaying other cars... Well, unless it speeds up the other cars, it probably won't. They didn't describe a new hardware layer at AI day, so I'd say it's unlikely until next year.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If chips are delaying other cars... Well, unless it speeds up the other cars, it probably won't. They didn't describe a new hardware layer at AI day, so I'd say it's unlikely until next year.

-Crissa
We don’t really know. Could go either way. I just doubt Tesla will wait until the Cybertruck if they have the gear already.

Do they have to use new models? They might need Dojo to be online to process the data for the higher resolution dataset on HW4. I’m not super sure about that, but I seem to recall they said something about needing to build new models based on the new hardware.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, they'd need new sight models every time they move the cameras. Like, say, mounting them on a humanoid robot instead of a truck.

-Crissa

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I read that as cybertruck launches maybe in a year. :D

Lots of wishy woshy from the man himself.

BTW, that robot is laughable. You could hear a pin drop in that room. and not in the good way.

Definitely an example of wtf you doing demoing such an early prototype?! Sometimes it's better to just stay silent and wait till you are ready. Something he hasn't yet learned to do.
You are only laughing because you clearly don't see the accomplishment. Atlas is hydrolic actuators . Optimus is electric actuators. Atlas debut was teathered and powered via cord in 2013. Almost a decade ago. Optimus development 6 months untethered walking and a prototype already created. So encouraging and huge kudos to Tesla
Sponsored