Issue Alert: EGGREAR1_a563 _a564 Excessive use of tonneau cover detected

gtg465x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
This isn’t that unusual. These types of motors have rated duty cycles as @scottf200 mentioned. I remember reading a warning about it for my 2018 Santa Fe, so I pulled up that manual, and here’s what it says:

CAUTION
Operating the power liftgate (power tailgate) more than 5 times continuously could cause damages to the operating motor. In this case, the system enters into a thermal protection mode. In thermal protection mode, the power liftgate (power tailgate) can not operate and the chime will sound for 3 times by any switch inputs. Leave your power liftgate (power tailgate) system for rest about 1 minute and then operate.
I bet a lot of car manuals have a warning like this, but people rarely read the manual, and most cars won’t pop up a warning on the screen to tell you about it, so most people will never know that you aren’t supposed to just open and close your liftgate or tonneau a bunch of times back to back.
Sponsored

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
An "excessive use" error doesn't tell me anything. The tonneau cover still works, right?

OP
OP
scottf200

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
An "excessive use" error doesn't tell me anything. The tonneau cover still works, right?
It is feedback to the user that whatever they were doing may have caused it to start to overheat.

a) Then they can assess if they were really using it a LOT​
OR​
b) if they were barely using it then there could be a binding or other issue causing the motors to overhead and they need to take it in for service.​

Last edited:

jackychu

First Name
Jacky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag
I encounter this issue today. How do I resolve this issue? The cover cannot close anymore. 😖

jackychu

First Name
Jacky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag
I encounter this issue today. How do I resolve this issue? The cover cannot close anymore. 😖
oh... after rest 10 minutes. (motor cool down?) then it back to normal. you can open/close.
Sponsored