Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
"His wife won't LET him sell the truck!"

Sounds like a Ford ad from 1958.
His old vehicle was a Wrangler.

I imagine the difference between the ride quality and overall finish of the Rivian versus a Wrangler is pretty massive.

The Rivian is going to be awesome for most people. It is a fantastic vehicle. If it wasn’t for the price (and the weirdness around manufacture rate), I’d be seriously looking at them too.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I wish Rivian best of luck since they will need it to make more than a few dozen trucks. It is a well thought out pickup from features perspective but sadly I can see a lot of the features will slow them down big time. Biggest enemy of good is perfect, they should make a plain/basic truck that’s upgradable first just to get moving. Sell some pickups before worry about the stupid kitchen.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
We see the same thing with CT. I am glad there is innovation and the process of improvements but so many need a basic truck that they can afford and will handle all that we want to do with it. From construction to general support vehicle for family and activities.
I am willing to wait for what I see as the best truck so far, but constant delays as they add another layer of add on that I will not use or don't want is making it harder. The current wait seems like the circumstances of the last few years and constraints on materials make up a big part of that.
I am still enthusiastic and still anticipating that the CT will be a great vehicle.

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
We see the same thing with CT. I am glad there is innovation and the process of improvements but so many need a basic truck that they can afford and will handle all that we want to do with it. From construction to general support vehicle for family and activities.
I am willing to wait for what I see as the best truck so far, but constant delays as they add another layer of add on that I will not use or don't want is making it harder. The current wait seems like the circumstances of the last few years and constraints on materials make up a big part of that.
I am still enthusiastic and still anticipating that the CT will be a great vehicle.
We don’t see the same thing with the Cybertruck.

People project all sorts of things.

The changes since launch:
  • Door handles are gone
  • 4 wheel steering
  • quad motor version
  • ??????? I’m sure I missed something.
Only 2 of those features have been added to the dual motor truck since launch… and the door handles are getting removed not added!

Lots and lots and lots of speculation about the truck getting the kitchen sink, but what I see driving around is pretty similar to what was demoed at launch.

We have not seen door flashlights; removable speakers; magic adjustable roof rails; or a kitchen.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

• Door handles are gone
  • 4 wheel steering
  • quad motor version
Only 2 of those features have been added to the dual motor truck since launch… and the door handles are getting removed not added!

Lots and lots and lots of speculation about the truck getting the kitchen sink, but what I see driving around is pretty similar to what was demoed at launch.

We have not seen door flashlights; removable speakers; magic adjustable roof rails; or a kitchen.
you forgot the magic carpet for the floor

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Cybertruck was not delayed because of adding new features.

Cybertruck was initially delayed because Tesla does not hve enough batteries. Same reason the Tesla Semi is delayed. Then before the battery bottleneck could be resolved the pandemic and chip shortage issues arose.

So the Cybertruck designers and engineers just continued to improve the design to ensure the Cybertruck would be the best truck on the market when it was finally put in to production in 2023 instead of a design from 2019/2020.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Cybertruck was not delayed because of adding new features.

Cybertruck was initially delayed because Tesla does not hve enough batteries. Same reason the Tesla Semi is delayed. Then before the battery bottleneck could be resolved the pandemic and chip shortage issues arose.

So the Cybertruck designers and engineers just continued to improve the design to ensure the Cybertruck would be the best truck on the market when it was finally put in to production in 2023 instead of a design from 2019/2020.
Plus: Pandemic, 4680 cell shortage, chip shortage, no gigapress…

Adding a door flashlight is not slowing the Cybertruck down. It’s been a rough time to bring out new EVs.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag

• Door handles are gone
  • 4 wheel steering
  • quad motor version

the monkey motion on size and wiper are what come to mind for me.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
the monkey motion on size and wiper are what come to mind for me.
I have not seen reliable information about size changes. Lots of people trying to measure it in weird ways, but nothing solid at all.

The wiper and the mirrors are not extravagances or add-ons. They are legal requirements. And in the case of the wiper, quite necessary.

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I have not seen reliable information about size changes. Lots of people trying to measure it in weird ways, but nothing solid at all.

The wiper and the mirrors are not extravagances or add-ons. They are legal requirements. And in the case of the wiper, quite necessary.
Musk himself commented several times about reducing the size and later that it would be the same as the prototype. The engineering of the CT has hopefully been finalized. Munro has stated that but no clear messaging from Tesla or Musk

The wiper is the R&D process same with the mirrors . The clean lines of the proto type moving toward a real world vehicle is what is happening. I know I thought it would have been further along but I am new to following the details of tesla development. Only when the CT was introduced did I start paying close attention. (My Bad)

In the end I still want the CT , I still hope that the idea can be realized at reasonable price and reasonable delivery date. The number of motors and the range are the critical choices for me. The concept is what first attracted me but the practicality is what made me put down my marker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...And to be perfectly honest, a kitchen was literally on the Cybertruck options list at launch. So was a tent. And solar. But they were specifically wish-list options.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
...And to be perfectly honest, a kitchen was literally on the Cybertruck options list at launch. So was a tent. And solar. But they were specifically wish-list options.

-Crissa
Along those lines, there is no evidence the kitchen slowed up Rivian’s launch. It’s likely they just handed a spec sheet to a third party who is manufacturing those kitchens.
Muros Trustworthy

Rivian is now under some legal problems

Any price increase wipes out all Rivian pre orders and sinks Rivan stock. Even bigger problems with IPO stockholders is they cannot sell IPO stock for 1-2 years. IPO stockholders are stuck. Their only out is legal before the doors close.
Truth
With 0 pre orders is Rivian a Zombie company?

RIVN LAWSUIT ALERT: Levi & Korsinsky Notifies Rivian Automotive, Inc. Investors of a Class Action Lawsuit and Upcoming Deadline (prnewswire.com)
I doubt the legal issues will be that bad. What you describe would thrash the IPO buyers who were damaged most. Legal system usually avoids that.
Sponsored