Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You can fit four in there. Five back in the day. It was tight, but...

-Crissa
Back in the day I was 25 and could origami my way in and out of a lot of places.

I’m in my 50s and many of my friends are in their 60s. None of us are getting into that back seat.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
It is a very cool truck. Though I do think it ventures a bit deep into the big child toy category. Range, tiny cockpit, and seating for 2 pretty much eliminates it from my list.

Well assuming it would actually ship which seems unlikely.
It would actually be perfect for me. Two seater all I need. And a truck bed. Although if they just extended the bed another 6-12" I'd feel a little more content with it. Range is fine if it's between 260-300 for me especially if they keep that price point.

Tesla should just buy alpha motors simply for their intellectual property of these designs, then make the wolf with 4680 and giga casts for $40k and call it a day. Then they would really dominate the truck market with both an everyday affordable normal looking truck and the incredible over the top luxury truck.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Back in the day I was 25 and could origami my way in and out of a lot of places

I’m in my 50s and many of my friends are in their 60s. None of us are getting into that back seat.
we dont bend like we used to......once positioned, it is hard to move and adjust

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would actually be perfect for me. Two seater all I need. And a truck bed. Although if they just extended the bed another 6-12" I'd feel a little more content with it. Range is fine if it's between 260-300 for me especially if they keep that price point.

Tesla should just buy alpha motors simply for their intellectual property of these designs, then make the wolf with 4680 and giga casts for $40k and call it a day. Then they would really dominate the truck market with both an everyday affordable normal looking truck and the incredible over the top luxury truck.
Alpha Wolf just cloned the 80s Toyota pickup. Why would Tesla buy a company to get what they can copy for free?

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It is a very cool truck. Though I do think it ventures a bit deep into the big child toy category. Range, tiny cockpit, and seating for 2 pretty much eliminates it from my list.

Well assuming it would actually ship which seems unlikely.
The super wolf looks nice

Tesla Cybertruck Musk: "Cybertruck pricing and specs will be different, but it will be a damn fine product." Alpha-SUPERWOLF-1024x555

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
(Empansis mine)
The Model 3 was the average price for a new car.

The Model Y was the average price for a new SUV.

The Cybertruck was announced as being below the average price of a new truck.

So... Always?
I highly doubt the average price for a new car is $47,000 and the average SUV is in the mid-60s
(Empansis mine)

So... Always?
When the cheapest stripped down version of your car equals the average new car selling price, you're not aiming for the average customer

shilvock22

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Military
Country flag
(Empansis mine)

So... Always?
Mercedes-Benz has a model that squeaks in below the average US car sales price... So I suppose Mercedes would be considered an entry level car company as well?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I highly doubt the average price for a new car is $47,000 and the average SUV is in the mid-60s

When the cheapest stripped down version of your car equals the average new car selling price, you're not aiming for the average customer
Model 3 was launched at $35 - $40k.

Telsa doesn’t have “Stripped down versions”.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If you assume the tri motor is the “LR” equivalent and it increases in price similar to Ford/ Hummer/ Rivian, it would be $79k (A $10k increase). That’s a reasonable “Inflation“ bump.

Model X Plaid is $18k or roughly 14% more expensive than the Model X LR. If we add $18k to the inflation adjusted tri motor price, that suggests the Plaid will be right around $97k. That is roughly in line with pricing for the top end Ford, the higher end R1T, and the Hummer.

The dual motor Cybertruck would drop in around $60k.
  • That’s more or less consistent with launch plus inflation (single motor maybe a few years down the road).
  • It’s consistent with the way Plaid pricing works in Tesla’s lineup.
  • Similar increase to those made by Ford, Rivian, and Hummer (And many ICE vehicles).
  • Puts the top end Cybertruck right in the middle price-wise with the rest of the top end electric trucks.
Also possible tri motor is punted and the “LR” variant ends up being dual motor. Most people looking for a work/ towing/ camping rig don’t particularly care about sub 5 second 0-60 times so long as it can tow the needed load and they can merge well with their trailer.

PS: Much of this is expanding on Farzad’s ideas. His thoughts make about the most sense.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Also, usually the second trim in the lineup comes 3-6 months after the first and by the end of the first year they will be shipping the whole lineup.

So maybe Plaid in June 2023, Cybertruck AWD LR in October 2023 and Cybertruck AWD in March 2024. Very very few people are going to be faced with paying for more truck then they want. Maybe just those in the first 50k. (@Crissa)

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you assume the tri motor is the “LR” equivalent and it increases in price similar to Ford/ Hummer/ Rivian, it would be $79k (A $10k increase). That’s a reasonable “Inflation“ bump.

Model X Plaid is $18k or roughly 14% more expensive than the Model X LR. If we add $18k to the inflation adjusted tri motor price, that suggests the Plaid will be right around $97k. That is roughly in line with pricing for the top end Ford, the higher end R1T, and the Hummer.

The dual motor Cybertruck would drop in around $60k.
  • That’s more or less consistent with launch plus inflation (single motor maybe a few years down the road).
  • It’s consistent with the way Plaid pricing works in Tesla’s lineup.
  • Similar increase to those made by Ford, Rivian, and Hummer (And many ICE vehicles).
  • Puts the top end Cybertruck right in the middle price-wise with the rest of the top end electric trucks.
Also possible tri motor is punted and the “LR” variant ends up being dual motor. Most people looking for a work/ towing/ camping rig don’t particularly care about sub 5 second 0-60 times so long as it can tow the needed load and they can merge well with their trailer.
I would go from tri to dual LR if the range is 400+....I wound be towing, but camping and need the range...the price of $60k plus 7k for FSD is within my means
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.