Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Interesting.
Its impossible to have a locker in the rear of the Cyberbeast. The two wheels and motors are not physically connected, so there is nothing to lock. Instead it does a virtual lock and spins both wheels at the same speed via software. Time and testing will be required to see which has a better result. Its entirely possible that the AWD is better offroad, this has been a debate with Rivian's 2 motor vs 4 motor trucks.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I'm assuming every other Car Maker does this too! OTA Updates are the NORM......
No BIG DEAL
True for Rivian as they got a fresh start and could work that out with the suppliers. Rivian seems to put out regular OTAs on par with Tesla.

The obvious answer for the others is they have many 100s of suppliers and "API" interfaces to deal with as they transition. Ford CEO, Jim Farley, has had interviews on this exact subject.

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Mars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AWD
Country flag
Here in NorCal, still waiting for the release!

canyoncarver

First Name
Nunya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Its impossible to have a locker in the rear of the Cyberbeast. The two wheels and motors are not physically connected, so there is nothing to lock. Instead it does a virtual lock and spins both wheels at the same speed via software. Time and testing will be required to see which has a better result. Its entirely possible that the AWD is better offroad, this has been a debate with Rivian's 2 motor vs 4 motor trucks.
That's exactly what prompted my single word response, Rivian's implementation of software "virtual" locking of separate motors has not exactly gone over well with users of their top end trucks. It will be interesting to see how Tesla fares in response.

Speedr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
That's exactly what prompted my single word response, Rivian's implementation of software "virtual" locking of separate motors has not exactly gone over well with users of their top end trucks. It will be interesting to see how Tesla fares in response.
This is a great video from Out of Spec showing the different types of lockers (albeit before Tesla released this update), and explains why the Rivian "virtual" lockers have limitations. With the added power of the Cyberbeast, it probably won't have the same issue.

BengalBoy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper GTS and 1995 Ford Bronco XLT
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Got the update notification in my app. Connected "OO7" to my WiFi and it is updating. Incredible I'm doing this for new hardware features on my truck.
Tesla Cybertruck OTA Software Update 2024.14.3 now available (Off-Road Mode, Locking Diffs, Etc.) -- RELEASE NOTES! Screenshot_20240501_172513_Tesla
Tesla Cybertruck OTA Software Update 2024.14.3 now available (Off-Road Mode, Locking Diffs, Etc.) -- RELEASE NOTES! 20240501_172959

eousphoros

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Country flag
Not sure if it’s just me but this update takes a long time to install, just passed the hour mark.

BengalBoy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Viper GTS and 1995 Ford Bronco XLT
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Not sure if it’s just me but this update takes a long time to install, just passed the hour mark.
Yes.. 60% after 45 minutes..
Tesla Cybertruck OTA Software Update 2024.14.3 now available (Off-Road Mode, Locking Diffs, Etc.) -- RELEASE NOTES! Screenshot_20240501_200642_Tesla
Tesla Cybertruck OTA Software Update 2024.14.3 now available (Off-Road Mode, Locking Diffs, Etc.) -- RELEASE NOTES! Screenshot_20240501_204322_Tesla
Sponsored