Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalanche
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I didn't expect the midgate based on all the structural photos we'd already seen. But that and the price are the biggest reasons I might just wait for a Telo. Maybe not. Still on the fence till I drive one probably.
It's specd like a normal truck.

I drive an avalanche and have for 18 years.

No midgate, no ramp, no roll down or removable rear window.

I don't see anything here as an innovation.

I like the look but doing small jobs what makes this revolutionary in camping, tool access, materials hauling, service calls.

It's not for pre 2015 truck owners who bought trucks to use as trucks.

Americans needed an affordable truck first and foremost.

Secondly an intuitive design and layout for workers.

This ain't it.

I like the I interior, I like the exterior but that's just looks. No real content here or cost of ownership savings for me.
Sponsored

Tedacules

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3
Country flag
My reservation is 119 so I'm waiting at least 6 years maybe longer..... I don't care!

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
OMG. The tears are insane.

People cherry pick two specs and cry like their mother just hit them.
I might have to take a few weeks off from the forum so that the people who placed all of their hopes and dreams on getting a $70k CT that would tow 14k and get 500 miles in range finally burn out.
My challenge to all the broken hearted... go out tomorrow and buy the truck with all the specs you're pissed the CT didn't give you. Go ahead.
Nobody will be getting a truck until late 2024 at the earliest and probably 2025. By then Ford and GM will have trucks that work with the Tesla supercharger network. Other than the stainless steel which is nice but not necessary, see what the range on the other trucks are at that time compared to the CT (I have a 2nd day CT reservation and also a silverado and sierra reservation)

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
Tesla nailed it - their market research is far more extensive than the reaches of this forum. The CT beats the crap out of the competition. See ground clearance, speed, comfort, UI, and everything else that comes with Tesla - which we seem to quickly take for granted. This truck dominates it's class upon release. BTW - look at reliability ratings lately - Tesla dominates there too. Looking forward to my used Model 3 fetching a premium after the early reservation CT in my driveway drives ICE neighbors bonkers.
What is the colour of the sky in your world?

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
There's no EV truck out there getting a full 500 miles of range.

It's also not relevant to compare ICE range to EV range when ICE ranges costs four to five times more per mile. Would you really rather have an extra 150 miles of range in an ICE truck if it costs you an extra $55 or $60 dollars every time you filled up, compared to a recharge of an EV truck?

Cybertruck will most likely cost $15 - 20 dollars for each recharge. An ICE truck will cost $75 dollars to fill up. About 4.5 cents per mile versus 20 cents per mile.

I'd rather have only 320 miles of range versus paying four times more each time I filled up.

So range comparisons of ICE versus EV are barely relevant.

- ÆCIII
The silverado EV is supposed to have 450 miles and by that time it will work with the supercharger network (2024/2025) and I doubt if it will be more than the CT.

Walter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Avalanche
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Are you that insecure? I don't care if ANYONE knows what I spent or what I have! Unless those little kids are paying for me to drive the car, their opinion and/or knowledge means absolutely NOTHING to me. Zilch, nada, zero. I'm likely to do a full 3.0 seconds getting on the freeway. If it looks clear, I might even do 3.2 or 3.5 seconds. Why? For the exact same reason a dog licks himself, BECAUSE HE CAN! I ain't spending this money to impress none of them. I'm doing it to entertain ME.

I have a T-Shirt that says "Once you no longer care what other people think, only then are you truly free."

It's not a work truck.

They just continued the trend of the luxury truck.

So I'll just keep my two 20 plus year old trucks that have lower ownership costs over Thier entire lives to date and get work done.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
When did this forum become a proving ground for Tesla haters? What happened here?
Thousands of Tesla CT supporters had their hopes of owning a CT crushed last night because Elon increased the price of the CT by 50%

To say this is because of inflation is total BS as prices of materials have not gone up that much and actually have come down to almost pre 2019 levels. This is due to either incompetence when setting the initial prices or outright fraud.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I think we should note that Tesla has very long history of pricing at a premium at launch and dropping pricing after a year or so. The Model 3 P launched at $75k but now sits at $51k. The Model S Plaid launched two years ago at $131K. Now $90k. Based on this history, we should expect Beast Mode to be at around $80k by Spring 2025 and Dual Motor to be at $60k by then.

49243160-167694807385448_origin.png
here's hoping you're right

TechOps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, ex-Model S
Country flag
I'm just happy that it's finally being produced. Tesla will tweak it over time and lower the cost. As a shareholder, I'm happy that they're capturing the value generated by all this demand. It's clear from their flipping clause in the contract that they see a ton of upside potential and don't want it captured by flippers.

The one thing I wish for is that the Beast mode had something truly differentiating it, other than speed. The Raptor has a cool physical design that looks sick. Beast could have come with a unique offroading mode, different aesthetics, or some other hook, even bigger wheels and a built in winch and light bar, or something, other than just being quick. Personally, I will probably get the dual motor and grab that tax credit.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Does it, though? I can buy a brand new stainless steal CT with 340 EPA, that shopping cart proof, feels great to drive, has FSD capability, and all the other creature comforts for $72k. An equivalent F-150 Raptor I'd be happy with is $110k not to mention (optimistically) 60% more maintenance and fueling costs. Obviously I don't have the all the data yet to make this conclusion, BUT in time if the CT performs as well as these premium trucks with the obvious exceptions like long distance towing, then hasn't it change auto manufacturing expectation in many ways?

I'm not talking about the $100k "super cars." I'm talking about equivalent trucks to the dual motor longer range version. Equivalent trucks are outrageously expensive. I don't think $72k is that crazy for over delivering on the specs of mid-range model with the only exception being a 2500 payload (which is still great and 1000lbs over that very nice Raptor I mentioned). The only version that under delivered here is the range of the top tier beastmode, which I am not in the market for. As for market price parity, it's not bad at all from an objective point of view. Objective meaning, "not having a pre-established bias, if you were to price these trucks based on specs and market competition, where do you land?"

Of course, I get the disappointment in being revealed much more expensive than promised, that makes sense and I'm in the same boat.
Sponsored