PowerShare Home Backup - Cost/Installation?

Eddyrelik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CT
Country flag
Haven’t seen thread on this. Foundation Reservation says it will release with PowerShare Home Backup Wall Charger. And for the Cyberbeast it actually includes installation up to $4,000. But not for AWD.

First question: how much more will the PowerShare Wall Charger cost? The current Tesla wall charger is $475

Second question is: how complex could the installation be? I have a wall charger already so the thought of swapping/upgrading seems easy. But you definitely can’t just reverse the current back into your main panel. There has to be a second line/output out of the PowerShare Wall Charger that then feeds to a switch that disconnects your main line and feeds your house power from the Cybertruck.

so does this expense alone justify the Foundation? Haha

Thoughts?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Second question is: how complex could the installation be? I have a wall charger already so the thought of swapping/upgrading seems easy. But you definitely can’t just reverse the current back into your main panel. There has to be a second line/output out of the PowerShare Wall Charger that then feeds to a switch that disconnects your main line and feeds your house power from the Cybertruck.

Thoughts?
as mentioned In other thread, installation cost will vary wildly depending on the status of your home’s electrical

if you’re like me with a 1967 home, little “room” left on the panel, and also needing a service-to-house upgrade, could breach $10K in “install”**

if instead you have a new home, with 200amp service, a ton of panel space, and an honest electrician** - the $4K might cover it all

** does Tesla’s install cost allowance even apply head-to-tail? Or does it only apply to the front end of the home’s system, but any back-end like panel or service upgrades would be ignored for purpose of “install” cost/allowance?

things I’m sure people won’t be told until they’re half pregnant with it all

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
There's a couple of different scenarios I'm thinking of...

The easiest scenario is just to wait until there's an outage, and connect an extension cord or two from the outlets in the truck bed to a small subset of load in the house directly (refrigerator, lights, computer/phone charging, etc.) At my house in SoCal, over the last 10 years I've had about 2-3 outages off the top of my head, so this method would provide some pretty good results. It just wouldn't be automatic, and if I'm not home with the truck, then it might take longer to get things powered up again. The outage may be over when I get back home, etc.

The more complex and more automatic method would be to have an electrician connect the new Wall Connector to your home through a backup electric panel (a lot like a power wall installation) so that the truck can safely back up those critical circuits that were moved over to the backup panel when there is an outage and cut the connection to the grid for safety as well. If you had one or two power walls installed with that sort of a setup, then those could back up your home until you can get home with the truck and plug it in to get the benefit of the larger battery and longer backup time.

Since the truck won't fit into my garage, if I was going to attempt the second method above, I'd have to make sure that I am able to keep the truck in the driveway as much as possible and keep it plugged in (even when I don't need a charge) to provide a higher level of backup...

I might try the extension cord method first for a while and see if I need more...

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I might try the extension cord method first for a while and see if I need more...
there’s two inbetweener you missed

a basic genny-plug setup with a critical loads panel, just like if you were going to use a portable gas generator. a benefit, too, is that it’s not several thousand dollars of OEM, vehicle-specific kit that becomes a brick if you decide (or need) to get out of Tesla. (And you can keep a $609 gas generator on hand for another level of redundancy/optionality).

the other option to consider is there are some 3rd Larry V2H kits in the works out there that - at least for any vehicle other than Tesla** - will be a vehivle agnostic V2H option, likely at a better price point than any OEM option

**I can see Tesla somehow software bricking any attempt to use 3rd parry kit, or it not playing nice with those who already have powerwall

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
You want totally automatic, then you'll need to tesla setup. You want semi automatic, then install a transfer panel and plug the 50 amp outlet into the transfer panel. You want real basic emergency power.. then buy a construction grade 50 amp power box and cord..these typically have 6 sets of outlets with breakers. Then each load can be plugged into the box as needed.

My makeshift off grid 500 watt solar system and 300ah battery and pure sinewave inverter, work my fridge through an automatic transfer switch that's hooked up to a wifi outlet.

Both the inverter and house power run to the transfer switch, double pole double throw. The transfer switch is controlled by which inlet is primary and what is secondary. My primary is 120 vac city power. But with a wifi controlled outlet. I can remotely shut down the house power, causing the transfer switch to go to the solar side. The wifi switch has a schedule that allows it to open during daylight hours. Then I tweak it depending on battery storage. All of this is controlled by my phone and remotely.

Yes it works and my power consumption has dropped considerably as the fridge is pretty much the only big draw when nobody is home.

Yes, 1 can get creative once you understand transfer switches.

Rick

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Haven’t seen thread on this. Foundation Reservation says it will release with PowerShare Home Backup Wall Charger. And for the Cyberbeast it actually includes installation up to $4,000. But not for AWD.
Not exactly.

@CHC stated all items in the "Premium accessories" bundle are the same between Beast and AWD except for lightbar. So Powershare charger and gateway are included in both AWD and Beast.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tions-order-confirmations-🙌.10395/post-208475

Also see post from @Codyco https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tions-order-confirmations-🙌.10395/post-208490

cyberboi

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
turbo
Country flag
as mentioned In other thread, installation cost will vary wildly depending on the status of your home’s electrical

if you’re like me with a 1967 home, little “room” left on the panel, and also needing a service-to-house upgrade, could breach $10K in “install”**

if instead you have a new home, with 200amp service, a ton of panel space, and an honest electrician** - the $4K might cover it all

** does Tesla’s install cost allowance even apply head-to-tail? Or does it only apply to the front end of the home’s system, but any back-end like panel or service upgrades would be ignored for purpose of “install” cost/allowance?

things I’m sure people won’t be told until they’re half pregnant with it all
I doubt their $4K could be applied to a 200A main service panel upgrade. If it can be, that would be awesome!

tracksyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag

First question: how much more will the PowerShare Wall Charger cost? The current Tesla wall charger is $475

Thoughts?
I'm thinking the Powershare Home Backup is going to cost AT LEAST $5,000 as an option for the "non-Foundation" orders.

It appears the Universal Wall Connector may be necessary (which is included).. but that's normally $595. I say its "necessary" since the UWC description includes verbiage about using with the CT for home backup whereas the regular Wall Connector does not mention this.

It also includes the Tesla Powerwall/Backup Gateway v3. I couldnt find a MSRP through a quick google, but I see "$1000" thrown around a lot when talking about the cost of the Gateway in a Powerwall installation.

So we're already at $1600 in hardware + the $4000 in installation costs they appear to cover?

Lastly, the Ford Lightning Intelligent Backup appears to cost $1310 for the charging station and an additional $3895 for the "home integration hardware", so $5,205. And this doesnt sound like it includes any installation cost?

I came here to see what others thought.. but the Foundation Edition DOES NOT seem to carry the premium most people (myself included) thought it did.. of course, assuming you want all the options and accessories in the first place.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I hit up an electrician out here to do the legwork and find out how it will all work if i buy the charger and the the gateway. I currently have tesla solar. so im hoping integration wont be too bad.

The "Tesla ceritified installer" said they basically get that cert by watching powerpoints and this wasnt on it lol .

I told him that if he hooks me up ill put his logo somewhere on my truck lol

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
OP
OP

Eddyrelik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CT
Country flag
see for yourself. Install only included for Cyberbeast

Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare Home Backup - Cost/Installation? IMG_3740

Tesla Cybertruck PowerShare Home Backup - Cost/Installation? IMG_3739

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
While we are on the topic. Since the mobile connector can do powershare.

Electricians. i once again call upon you for help

Can we just do this?

and if i have solar without batteries. how does it change this. I am imagining i could just also make sure the panels arent feeding the house? Flip the switch? The inverter shuts off if the grid does right?

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
People were paying around $10,000-$15,000 for a complete install of Ford's system using their equipment partner's gateway equipment.

Every install is different.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Id need a lot more information about your situation to provide an estimate

I requested info from tesla last week and shocker (extreme sarcasm) they have provided nothing. If they haven’t told me anything yet I strongly suspect they aren’t yet prepared to install them.
Sponsored