Tesla Powershare Home Backup Installation For $9,082.00 In FV SoCal For My AWD: Too Much?

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
You installed a 200 amp panel and a main grounding as well as the charger in an hour? Are you an octopus?? 😂😂
I was responding to SpaceNoodle's post. No new panel - about as simple an install as you can get.
Sponsored

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
I was responding to SpaceNoodle's post. No new panel - about as simple an install as you can get.
Ah! Sorry! I didn’t read your post closely enough (shocking! Haha) My apologies!

Also glad you’re not an octopus….. 😂😂

kpanda17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3RWD, Tesla Model MYP
Country flag
supply vs demand, low supply of qualified electricians with the Tesla PW experience
and you guys are in Cali, imagine Iowa? $15K?

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Without the panel upgrade, 1 feet from the panel, outside meter right behind the panel, cannot be more simple than this. The quote is 4700… Seattle WA
You know, @Spacenoddle , the more I think about this the angrier I get. That job should have been $700 *tops*. It's like they took their already inflated quote and just added the $4000 credit they know we are getting. Please report this to Tesla if not the BBB. Also please let everyone know what contractor it is so we can all avoid them. Not just for the powerwall installation but I would put them on my permanent black list for any work.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
I just got a quote from Trout for $9,082.00 and have some questions:

- Is that price reasonable? I don't have anything yet.
- Can I get a different quote or only from Trout?
- Payment: I have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later? I believe it's only $4K right?
- If I refuse I can only get $700 to shop, correct?

200 Amp Panel
Existing panel is overloaded. Load calculation will not allow EV charger without a panel upgrade to 200 amps. Demo old panel and replace with a new 200 amp main breaker all in one. Solar ready. Includes all new breakers.
15 year warranty

Main Grounding System
Install main ground system to bring the current electrical system up to NEC code

Whole House Surge Protection
Due to new 2023 NEC code we will provide and install a whole house surge protector

Install a Tesla supplied Gateway
Install a Tesla supplied gateway within 5 feet of the main panel. This includes relocating the light loads from the panel within 5 feet

Installation of a Tesla supplied Tesla universal charger
Installation of a Tesla supplied Tesla universal charger within 10 feet of the panel. This includes the communication wiring to communicate with the gateway.

City permits and fees
Includes all permit, inspection and utility fees

Exclusions
Stucco repair. Price is valid if meter spot comes back in same location. Will require a utility meter spot which takes 7-10 business days to finish

Total$9,082.00
I live in Central California and our installer will be Electrical Power Source whom Treehouse subcontracts through in our area. Our quote came in at $5,186.00.

$1,500 for gateway installation.
$800.00 Tesla Meter Back Up Switch installation.
$786.0” for Universal wall charger installation.
$1500.00 for “Additional wiring difficult condition”. They’ll have to run wire from my main panel on one side of the house, through the attic to get to my sub panel in the garage.
$150.00 low voltage communication wiring
$100.00 permit preparation fee.
$350.00 for installation permit.
$250 for hosted electrical inspection.
-$250 for Tesla exclusive discount.

We won’t need panel upgrades so that may be a factor. Do you have a Beast? AWD doesn’t qualify for the $4000 installation credit. I’m not sure about the $700 credit if you decide against installation. Hopefully someone can clarify.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You know, @Spacenoddle , the more I think about this the angrier I get. That job should have been $700 *tops*. It's like they took their already inflated quote and just added the $4000 credit they know we are getting. Please report this to Tesla if not the BBB. Also please let everyone know what contractor it is so we can all avoid them. Not just for the powerwall installation but I would put them on my permanent black list for any work.
If the job is as simple as the brief description seems to imply, then, yes, $4,700 does seem expensive. But there is no way $700 is going to cover the time and expenses of even a small and efficient electrical contractor, even if the wall is not concrete and other complicating factors that are specific to that site don't crop up. Also, there are permits to be pulled, and multiple other administrative steps in the process. A good contractor will do a thorough job, take care of minor discoveries during the install process, and use first-rate workmanship. They have to cover all their business overhead, tools, advertising, listings, certifications, etc, with the bid.

In short, due to potential site specific complications, there is no way we can bid the job properly from afar. So quit trying to drum up fake outrage.

redpooch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model X 100d
Country flag
I just got a quote from Trout for $9,082.00 and have some questions:

- Is that price reasonable? I don't have anything yet.
- Can I get a different quote or only from Trout?
- Payment: I have to pay upfront and get reimbursed later? I believe it's only $4K right?
- If I refuse I can only get $700 to shop, correct?

200 Amp Panel
Existing panel is overloaded. Load calculation will not allow EV charger without a panel upgrade to 200 amps. Demo old panel and replace with a new 200 amp main breaker all in one. Solar ready. Includes all new breakers.
15 year warranty

Main Grounding System
Install main ground system to bring the current electrical system up to NEC code

Whole House Surge Protection
Due to new 2023 NEC code we will provide and install a whole house surge protector

Install a Tesla supplied Gateway
Install a Tesla supplied gateway within 5 feet of the main panel. This includes relocating the light loads from the panel within 5 feet

Installation of a Tesla supplied Tesla universal charger
Installation of a Tesla supplied Tesla universal charger within 10 feet of the panel. This includes the communication wiring to communicate with the gateway.

City permits and fees
Includes all permit, inspection and utility fees

Exclusions
Stucco repair. Price is valid if meter spot comes back in same location. Will require a utility meter spot which takes 7-10 business days to finish

Total$9,082.00
Wow. If using as backup generator for your home go Powerwall instead. Im in Vermont had 2 installed 3 years ago through power comapny, installed by Tesla. $0 up front and $50 per month. Just have to let the local electric company tap into them if tgey need energy, except when storm is coming or power outage occurs. Seamless dont even know the power went out unless looking at app. Just awesome

DumpsterFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Wow. If using as backup generator for your home go Powerwall instead. Im in Vermont had 2 installed 3 years ago through power comapny, installed by Tesla. $0 up front and $50 per month. Just have to let the local electric company tap into them if tgey need energy, except when storm is coming or power outage occurs. Seamless dont even know the power went out unless looking at app. Just awesome
Funny since Tesla wants to install both at my house….

Last edited:

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
4700 definitely is inflated, i would expect around 2500-3000 for this kind of work.

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If the job is as simple as the brief description seems to imply, then, yes, $4,700 does seem expensive. But there is no way $700 is going to cover the time and expenses of even a small and efficient electrical contractor, even if the wall is not concrete and other complicating factors that are specific to that site don't crop up. Also, there are permits to be pulled, and multiple other administrative steps in the process. A good contractor will do a thorough job, take care of minor discoveries during the install process, and use first-rate workmanship. They have to cover all their business overhead, tools, advertising, listings, certifications, etc, with the bid.

In short, due to potential site specific complications, there is no way we can bid the job properly from afar. So quit trying to drum up fake outrage.
True, there may be special circumstances we are not privy to and I failed to consider the cost of permitting. That could, indeed, justify a ~$1K quote, but I am at loss to think of anything that could possibly justify $4700. A few feet of wire, conduit, cutoff switch, a circuit breaker, and labor. Everything else is provided by Tesla.

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
It could be that Tesla is a hassle for them to deal with on the back end for things like acquiring the hardware. They might be adding a hidden surcharge for that. My business does that when dealing with certain government agencies where there will be hours of extra behind the scenes red tape and unnecessary meetings.
Sponsored