First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
That's not inflation.

Car prices haven't risen because of inflation. They've risen because of supply and demand.

Next year we'll see cars that were more expensive to make... But we'll see more supply. That'll be when we find out if this is inflation or not. Maybe.

-Crissa
I would agree. The more Tesla is able to ramp up their production the less it costs them to produce a car. Inflation is not the problem here. Every month it costs Tesla less and less to produce their cars.

Every month the demand for their cars has increased and the price of cars will rise until the supply rises to meet demand or the rise in demand lowers because of the price increases. When the demand and supply meet we should get steady prices. When production out paces demand we should get lower prices.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I can see this particular little sub-thread going straight down the rabbit hole, and frankly, that sounds like an exhausting exercise over varying opinion(s) with no winner. BUT - I have done some extensive off-roading, mostly in one of my Jeeps. A pickup is generally too heavy and/or without "correct" weight distribution (and sometimes just too big) for off-roading - I prefer to call it "bad-roading," with ground clearance, slope (grade) and side-slope, obstacle, mud, snow, sand, ice, etc. issues.

Nevertheless, a good pickup can get you to the "jumping off point," especially if your actual off-road choice isn't exactly street legal. And carry more stuff, including comfort items (camping) and spare parts for when you break something. Range is also important, because its easy to get 100 miles from nowhere and be looking at low gear (conventional transmission) / low mileage travel

With that in mind, I want to see actual weight, actual weight distribution, actual torque, actual ground clearance, and actual range under these conditions.

Besides, it IS a lot of money to just take it out and bang it into a tree or a rock or something...
Any new off-road vehicle is a lot of money to bang into a rock or a tree. Most of what I want four-wheel drive for is steep, torn up Forest Service Roads and many of the lesser used ones have Alder saplings and wild berries and other growth encroaching on the road edges. I will have no qualms about mowing them down with the Cybertrucks scratch, rust and dent resistant cold-rolled stainless steel body that's 3mm thick. My 2010 F-150's paint has taken a lot of abuse from mud, Alder saplings and branches, kicked up sticks and rocks and the like to have left a lot of fine scratches in the paint. They will buff out but you can only do that so many times so I avoided those kind of roads whenever I could. The Cybertruck will attack them reckless abandon...er, without hesitation.

For actual difficult off-road terrain it's hard to beat the cost/performance of a small Jeep Wrangler, preferably used. But the Cybertruck will have a much more comfortable ride on rugged, unmaintained rocky roads and will be highly capable in a variety of disaster type events with it's massive clearance and favorable approach/departure angles, washouts, floods, landslides, etc.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you are misreading much of the higher end of the Cybertruck market. Exclusivity and people who want to be the first on the block to have the Cybertruck certainly exist, but Tesla doesn't design their models around that. The high end Cybertrucks will command a premium because they have additional capability. Exclusivity has little to do with it. Remember, all announced models at all price points look identical.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think 650 miles of range is technologically possible yet, but I would pay $89,000. That would be just slightly more than the 400 mile Rivian.
With a 3500 lb. payload capacity, you had better bet Tesla has the capability to make a 650-mile Cybertruck. The extra batteries would eat into that payload capacity by around 750 lbs. or so and you would lose a bit of storage or interior space, but of course it's easily doable.

Elon has said many times there is not a mass-market need for more range and it's better to build more vehicles with the same number of batteries than to make fewer units with unnecessarily long range. Tesla is not yet making vehicles for niche use cases.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yea, just look at what happened to the Tesla stock price today with this imaginary fantasy of going to be the best from the start.....well the start aint here yet for the CT and doesn't look to be here in the near future....only good thing is that Giga Texas looks like they are about to pop out the chicken and start Y production this month.....

sorry if I am sounding like I am ranting, but I am generally not happy with all the evasive and sometimes non-existent communications and the inability to have somewhere to go ask get answers.....this is not just about the CT but any model .......I have a 2019 Model 3 and 2020 Model S and play hell getting any answers to any of my questions..SC are not able to answer and numbers they give me dont work or never get answered...I am fast becoming diselusioned.....I am not getting any younger and would have like to drive the truck for a couple of years before going to sleep
You should sell your Tesla and boycott them. Resale prices are through the roof and you could replace both those Tesla with something superior!

/s

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It's called inflation. When the CT was introduced and people put their orders in prices of just about everything has increased because of inflation. There was no way that Tesla could keep the prices the same when it was introduced and when it will be released about 4 1/2 years later given the current inflation.
The inflation rate has been close to zero for years, and the CT was supposed to go into production this month so it is delayed by 1 year. We are allowed to surmise 1 year of inflation at maybe 2 percent. If Tesla cannot plan better than that they have big problems.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon has said many times there is not a mass-market need for more range and it's better to build more vehicles with the same number of batteries than to make fewer units with unnecessarily long range.
The CT will be used for hauling larger loads in the bed and with a trailer. Much different than the other Tesla models. The need for more range is greater in the CT.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We are allowed to surmise 1 year of inflation at maybe 2 percent. If Tesla cannot plan better than that they have big problems.
I think they tried to plan back in 2017 but Corona wasn't factored in.