Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I agree the rear has that requirement. But if the intent is to kick ass in Baja, the front may need to be similarly strong. It wouldn’t surprise me if Elon’s personal passion project had been engineered for specifications well beyond what we might expect. Not saying it’s true, just that it wouldn’t surprise me.
I forgot about that. He did say this is a pet project for him. It seems to me that if he wanted just one he could spend the $100M he said the prototypes cost and make a nonvv BBC Elin one forgthecrest of us :)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
As with the initial unveiling it took me overnight to process. Wow. Most people I see driving have a hard time managing 3 controls - steering front wheels, braking and accelerating. Now he's going to add 4 wheels to Power vector and another set of wheels to steer. Can't wait to see how they try to interface this. Will need neuralink to run it manually. Seems like it is much more complicated than the ABS and traction control. I feel like there will be a series of software updates until they figure it out. On the other hand the robotaxis will probably have a lot easier time utilizing these new features than we will. Anyway, I'm in for CT4V. Can't wait to set up a frozen lake pylon course and see what this thing can do. It might feel like pulling a plane out of a spin with too many control options and no sense of direction. ???
Tesla removes controls, they don’t add them.

4 wheel steering will be mostly automatic. Might be some on screen option to enable crab mode but otherwise invisible.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Elon said production is hard and that is not unique to Tesla. I hope you understand that. This is not Rivian's first delay on projected timelines (more like their third or fourth) and it's very unlikely to be their last. Limited Edition reservations are a tiny minority of all Rivian reservations. When you see how this plays out finally, come 2023, you will finally understand the wisdom of what I was talking about.

Tesla is, by far, the most likely manufacturer to bring pure EV trucks to the people in meaningful volumes, the most quickly.
No argument there. Again I have no stock in any of them. I only care when I get my EV truck. I prefer if it is CT.

Nope. I'm not beating my chest as a cheerleader; I'm beating my chest because I see so much misguided thinking here by people who have no clue what is really going on. By 2024 there will more people that own and drive an EV pickup due to Tesla making them a truck than the combined number of people driving F-150 Lightnings and Rivian RT's. It won't be because the other two options are flops, it will be because they have not made as many of them. That's what people don't get and yet it should be obvious to anyone who follows this industry.

That's why I don't understand your strange claim that somehow being the best truck precludes it's ability to be quickly manufactured in high numbers. Additionally, I don't see ANY Rivian's in people's driveways, so I don't know what you are talking about there either. It's baffling.

Please look at what you are saying and what you are basing it on. It seems the logical part of your brain is being controlled by irrational emotions with no real basis in fact.

Tesla is the most mature EV company in the world. With the size of GigaTexas, what is going on with the steel company and battery factory, a person has to be a moron not to understand the rate at which Tesla will be able to produce CTs if everything goes right. You keep misunderstanding and misrepresenting what I am saying. I don't care how many per month Tesla can produce if it is going to start producing them in 2040. I only need one. I have no Tesla stock (I assume you do). My entire concern is if this perfectionism Elon has will result in more delays. I have no evidence or proof that it will. It is only a concern as 99% of the comments in this thread are. As some has mentioned we very well may end up on schedule and with original pricing. The reason there are 22 pages of freakouts already is that we just don't know. You don't know either. Your prediction of what future looks like is only a guess. The reason I still have a CT reservation is that I do hope your guess is correct and believe it is possible.

This was not meant to become about Rivian but facebook and Instagram is full of photos of people with their Rivians. It is a new company that very well may still fail after many deliveries. I would take my CT2 today over any Rivian. Comparing Rivian's operation at this stage with Tesla is ridiculous. The only reason I brought it up is to make the point that I would rather have my imperfect CT sooner than a perfect one in distant future.

With apologies if my inadequate brain and lack of clue does not meet your standards.

Remember when Musk told us he would show us the design last december? But he didn't.
Who could forget. Now lets see what he says in the next announcement. I am messing with you. I like the guy.

And I’d challenge you to show us some actual evidence that even employees have them.
Tesla Cybertruck ? Quad Motor Cybertruck and Crab Walk (Independent Front & Rear Wheel Steering) Confirmed!! 1638664914241

Tesla Cybertruck ? Quad Motor Cybertruck and Crab Walk (Independent Front & Rear Wheel Steering) Confirmed!! 1638665509652

Edit (just added this link): None employee owner:

Guys, I think I becoming bigger and bigger target on this thread. I am sure it is me not you that is the problem. I used to make fun of those kids with sleeping bags in front of Apple store waiting for the next iPhone. Now that I have become one of them, I don't know how to deal with my inner conflict. I think I just need to spring for a therapist instead of engaging in non-constructive exchanges. I may go for a detox. Sorry if I don't respond.

Last edited:

Cybertruck Tampa

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Btw, dropping the single motor seems to be dropping the lowest price target from availability they were marketing the cyber truck as. So that also contradicts everyone's certainty that prices wouldn't rise.
Everyone didn’t say prices wouldn’t rise. That’s a little unrealistic being what the rate of inflation is right now. Also demand of parts and shortages don’t help.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think they tried to plan back in 2017 but Corona wasn't factored in.
Ever heard of long-term contracts? And what are you talking about with 2017? The unveiling was in 2019. If they said that production would start in late 2021 their long-term contracts would have started about now.

Jamminrio

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus ST
Occupation
COACH
Country flag
I have a couple thoughts....first COMPETITION IS GOOD. Thank you Rivian for putting the pressure on Tesla and lighting a bit more fire under them to make this a possibility.

Secondly, I think this is more about Tesla being locked into hundreds of thousands of orders that are now two years old and are at prices that are just as old. With inflation, logistics constraints and time, they're looking for a way to get all these people to give up their (now) cheaply priced 3 motor variants and upgrade to a new truck with updated 2022 pricing. This is part evil, part genius as I imagine most tri-motor reservation holders will want the best and first truck produced. If they were to stick with their better priced tri-motor then they would not only have the 2nd best CT, but they'd be put to the end of the line since the quad motor trucks are to be built first....a hard pill to swallow for early adopters that have already waited 2 years.

It's a bit disappointing that due to their own shortfalls Tesla is looking for a way out of their pricing commitment by screwing over their most die hard early tri-motor cyber truck fans/reservation holders.
When I read your post it reminded me of the complaints of Model S Plaid + with over 500 miles then discontinued to just plaid. There was some problem with reservation plaid + holders prices going down to the plaid. I know this is a little different, but I think you are right about the part evil and part genius aspect. I remember Elon in the early days of Tesla, mentioning he didn’t want to act like a big corporation and be more responsive to the customer. I feel those days may be forgotten.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Here's the deal: The tri-motor has been replaced by the Quad-motor, no change in price as recent advances in battery tech have made this possible. Elon doesn't mind losing out on a little money here and there as long as it leads to a BEV future. Everybody happy? Me too!

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
quad motor probably just lowish production $100k+ vehicle, to prove they have the best truck of all ev trucks... all our variants will probably be untouched and barely even be effected in terms of timeline

at least i hope

Jamminrio

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus ST
Occupation
COACH
Country flag
Tesla will have to be careful of losing reservations if they raise the price too much. Most people are already paying more than they can afford or ever paid for a vehicle. I know this is the most for me by a lot. Yes it has unique features that other trucks and EV trucks don’t have, but with more choices and possibly lower prices to choose from equals lost customers.

If they raise the prices from $5k-$10 max for Tri motor to quad motor they would keep the majority in that segment. Remember most people after June 2020 are paying more than $7k for FSD up to $10. The more Cybertrucks they put in customers hands because of price the better for future revenue in subscription FSD and other products built for CT. Tesla really should keep the prices lower than the competition, because of their giga press, batteries, lack of paint makes it cheaper.

This will be many buyers first EV and Tesla should WOW them. It’s all about choices. If Tesla makes the right choices they will have customers making their choices with Tesla instead of another OEM wowing them. Some people just don’t know how great Tesla innovates.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Here's the deal: The tri-motor has been replaced by the Quad-motor, no change in price as recent advances in battery tech have made this possible. Elon doesn't mind losing out on a little money here and there as long as it leads to a BEV future. Everybody happy? Me too!
Elon doesn't mind losing out on a little money here and there as long as it leads to a BEV future. Everybody happy? Me too!
Unfortunately Elon no longer has a seat Chair on the Tesla Board of Directors (that whole 420 thing) even though he still retains the CEO title, we do have to remember even Elon has to answer to a Boss(s) board now.

While I fully believe Elon has good intentions the whole publicly traded company thing does come into play when money really matters.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
quad motor probably just lowish production $100k+ vehicle, to prove they have the best truck of all ev trucks... all our variants will probably be untouched and barely even be effected in terms of timeline

at least i hope
Hope so!
Sponsored