Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So in various threads, there have been ideas tossed around about the new steering wheel on the MS and MX. And there has been talk of the possibility of the steering wheel being set up as drive-by-wire instead of a mechanical linkage. Various reasons have been given. I like the idea that it allows for variable steering precision so that the yoke style wheel works better.

Then I thought of another possible reason why it would be good to have drive-by-wire: Robotaxi. In the case of full robotaxi, you would not want the passenger to be in control of the vehicle. I'm thinking it might be better to virtually disconnect the wheel and pedals so that even if the passenger in the drivers seat moves them, it does not have an effect on what the robotaxi does. I could imagine certain people doing things like pressing the accelerator because they were impatient and wanted the vehicle to go faster. Or if someone was a very timid driver they might be pressing the brake the whole time trying to get the vehicle to slow down. Or if the passenger was a sociopath, perhaps they would try to plan Grand Theft Auto and run over pedestrians using the steering wheel. Or if they were suicidal, perhaps steer the vehicle into the path of an oncoming train. These are some extreme examples. For a more normal one, perhaps the passenger spills a coffee and in the process of cleaning up pushes the yoke accidentally and causes an accident.

Since the passenger is not going to have any responsibility as a driver, they should not have any control that would be given to a driver. And if the controls are all mechanically linked it would not be easy to prevent that control by the passenger.

What do you all think? And do you have any other non-obvious reasons why one would want drive-by-wire?
Sponsored

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
...i can see the benefit of it...
...but the trunk where the yoke connects seems quite robust if it's just wires in there...
...maybe it's an evolutionary step...

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I am expecting it and would be surprised if CT doesn't have drive by wire and wouldn't be surprised if the update Models S and X to have drive by wire if they have the yolk

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
So in various threads, there have been ideas tossed around about the new steering wheel on the MS and MX. And there has been talk of the possibility of the steering wheel being set up as drive-by-wire instead of a mechanical linkage. Various reasons have been given. I like the idea that it allows for variable steering precision so that the yoke style wheel works better.

Then I thought of another possible reason why it would be good to have drive-by-wire: Robotaxi. In the case of full robotaxi, you would not want the passenger to be in control of the vehicle. I'm thinking it might be better to virtually disconnect the wheel and pedals so that even if the passenger in the drivers seat moves them, it does not have an effect on what the robotaxi does. I could imagine certain people doing things like pressing the accelerator because they were impatient and wanted the vehicle to go faster. Or if someone was a very timid driver they might be pressing the brake the whole time trying to get the vehicle to slow down. Or if the passenger was a sociopath, perhaps they would try to plan Grand Theft Auto and run over pedestrians using the steering wheel. Or if they were suicidal, perhaps steer the vehicle into the path of an oncoming train. These are some extreme examples. For a more normal one, perhaps the passenger spills a coffee and in the process of cleaning up pushes the yoke accidentally and causes an accident.

Since the passenger is not going to have any responsibility as a driver, they should not have any control that would be given to a driver. And if the controls are all mechanically linked it would not be easy to prevent that control by the passenger.

What do you all think? And do you have any other non-obvious reasons why one would want drive-by-wire?

HEre is proof, just this morning. notice how has the steering is. Considering the guy was operating a yoke....

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Look the windshield wiper isn't held on by a nut and is stubby

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Wow, isn't she a beauty! Apparently it was there for a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Moss Landing Mega Pack.
That video did show instant steering response. But interestingly, NOT 4 wheel steering.

Tesla Cybertruck Reasons for Drive-By-Wire mosslandin

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Wow, isn't she a beauty! Apparently it was there for a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Moss Landing Mega Pack.
That video did show instant steering response. But interestingly, NOT 4 wheel steering.

mosslanding.jpg
The backend moves side to side quite a bit but it could be just the front wheels turning so quickly so dramatically. Can't tell that the rear wheels are steering but looks like it to me.