Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
it’s an accessory they’ll offer, factory installed

folks in some states, who want it, will have issues to deal with
With that reasoning Is there a technical reason it is not internal?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
With that reasoning Is there a technical reason it is not internal?
oh, I’m saying that I see no way this accessory comes to market with external wiring

I think we see external wiring here only because it’s being tested on an RC that wasn’t factory built for accommodating the lightbar. They built an RC some months ago, later it got selected for this Baja run, and the lightbar needed testing/use in Baja, so they’ve used it - but with external wiring, absent the factory install setup.

zero chance Tesla has folks running external wiring like a highschooler’s offroad project truck

but at the same time, we see external wiring here because there’s meanwhile no simple/neat way to incorporate the lightbar in a vehicle that wasn’t factory set up for it

Thus the point above that many of these accessories will be factory install only, ordered at time of configuration - just as if one was selecting eg a max tow package, massaging seats, or other such factory-only ‘accessories’/‘option’

the line between factory ‘accessory’ and factory ‘option’ is really blurry to nonexistent

so, if folks want these accessories, they’ll have to pay for and add to MSRP at configuration - not just after having the trucks for months go drop by a service center for a box with a lightbar in it to be installed or taken home for self-install

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I wonder if it could be incorporated into the Rack bar?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wonder if it could be incorporated into the Rack bar?
Sure!

That's not a bad idea, honestly. When I'm using the rack is when I usually need the extra lighting!

But bars are usually focused on being strong and extruded aluminum, giving little space to put lighting. It'd have to be designed into it.

-Crissa

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I recall the Yakama racks having a blade deflector in the front. If it had something that came forward and in plane with the windshield it would look cool and help with aerodynamics as well.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Wonder if for the CT Tesla will have "outfitter switches" (software based not hardware like on ICE trucks) for select accessories (internal or external)...eg LightBar, winch, reverse lights, brake controller (hoping that's baked into the software, assume it is)....that are typical truck add ons

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Thin lightbar spotted right above the top edge of the windshield!

cybertruck lightbar accessory.jpg

And just noticed it on this photo from yesterday...

F7ufRIrbUAARBcr (1).jpg

Lightbar accessory Cybertruck 1.jpg
Lightbar accessory Cybertruck 2.jpg
Lightbar accessory Cybertruck 3.jpg
Tesla App Updates (iOS) @Tesla_App_iOS

Light bar is going to be an optional accessory it looks like...
OPTIONAL_ACCESSORY_LIGHTBAR

3:42 PM · Nov 28, 2023

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Its really low profile, I wonder what the hit to range might be?
Significant. Very significant. The reason I say that is not so much because it will increase the Cd, although that is likely too. It increases the frontal area by a significant percent (since it extends the entire width of the roofline).

I believe it also increases the Cd because the airflow almost certainly acts in a manner to simulate a larger frontal area (in addition to the actual increase in frontal area).

I don't know though, maybe Tesla has shaped it such to actually *help* the airflow stay attached over the apex of the roof. It doesn't look that way to me, but the photos I've seen are not that good.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
If a vehicle is over a certain width (80"?) there is a federal requirement to have roof lights running lights. Your typical Ford Superduty is outfitted with these from the factory.
1696851502385.png

Why couldn't Tesla add a factory fitted LED lightbar to the CT? Make it in integral, so as to have minimal aerodynamic penalty. A LED lightbar could be programmed for many different modes such as amber running lights, safety truck flashing lights, law enforcement lights or even offroad flood lights? That seems logical.
Ref: Multi use light bar - programmable. Seems very logical and while some customers would find it useful, others would find misuses and abuses for such a feature. Tesla, in my opinion, is simply not interested in customizing the truck for the needs of a small minority. Law enforcement or fleet sales will each have their unique desires, none all solvable with a single light bar.
One solution might be to customize what Tesla already offers; purchase the cross bars, mount one as close to the apex as possible, mount the Hella 50” light bar under it toward the front and a 6 unit multi flasher directional signal bar toward the back, also under it. If you find the aero disruption is unacceptable either due to range or noise, remount it on top of the cross bar and determine which is more acceptable. Moving it aft one mounting block might still allow the forward facing lights to clear the apex. Cringe when you drill the hole but run one multi use wire to send all the signals you need. If desired, mount a flat plate on top of the cross bar for an antenna mount if your uses include such. I’m not talking to the ‘Gus Portokalos’ Tesla owners here, this is a solution for truck owners that plan to use the truck for work. A 48 volt adapter or similar solution will soon be available.
Similarly, the vault gate and back up lights may be programmable for utility or LE synchronization after consulting with Tesla or you tube DIY videos.
(Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, might carry Windex in his frunk to keep the nose of his Cybertruck free of blemishes)

Last edited:

MikeF

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
You should all checkout the Jay Leno Video with Franz and Lars and the Off-Road Light Bar Power hookup point built into the Cybertruck. The Timecode of the "Off Roard Lightbar Easter EGG" is around 28:55 from the start.

Tesla Cybertruck Lightbar accessory spotted on Cybertruck! 💡 Cybertruck_Off_RoadLightbaPowerHookupEasterEgg_20231224_1304.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck Lightbar accessory spotted on Cybertruck! 💡 Cybertruck_Off_RoadLightbaPowerHookupEasterEgg_20231224_1305.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck Lightbar accessory spotted on Cybertruck! 💡 Cybertruck_Off_RoadLightbaPowerHookupEasterEgg_20231224_1306.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck Lightbar accessory spotted on Cybertruck! 💡 Cybertruck_Off_RoadLightbaPowerHookupEasterEgg_20231224_1307.JPG
Sponsored