Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Toyota 4runner SR5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll take it in straight SS as is from the factory. I prefer the freedom of choice as to whether i wrap it or not and in the way I want it. There is also the possible increase to production and delivery times. As far as I'm concerned, the advantages of wrapping your CT in the aftermarket outweigh the any advantages of the CT being customized at the factory.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, the advantages would be that they'd have pre-cut pieces and the patterns down pat. You'd be paying out of your initial purchase, which could give you some credit or tax advantages.

Advantage of a shop is... You might know them better?

-Crissa

Suskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seat Ibiza
Country flag
I don't know... I preordered a CT because I love the idea of driving an armored veichle that fears no scratch. A wrap negates this, completely. As soon as your wrap is scratched, the underlying steel is going to shine through like a lit lamp.
I am more interested in the possible option to laser engrave the CT. I don't know, however, how visible the engravings could be and wether they can weaken the CT exoskeleton

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, if treated properly, etchings shouldn't reduce the strength. They would be microns in depth, and shouldn't be in long shapes that would create fold points.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
i'm just waiting for Elon to release an update on the design and features now that Giga Texas has started the CyberTruck area next to the Model Y

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
A lot of stainless steel items already come "wrapped". Things like stainless sinks or counter tops are covered in a white protective wrap that you take off once it is installed or once the consumer takes it home. I could see a 3M wrap being applied a similar (but better finished product) way to the exterior body panels, maybe even before they are bent. That could conceivably be done while adding very little time to the actual build process. Personally, I think I prefer stainless as it is, or maybe in a slightly darker tone.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Well, if treated properly, etchings shouldn't reduce the strength. They would be microns in depth, and shouldn't be in long shapes that would create fold points.

-Crissa
Standard laser etching shouldn't be used on stainless steel because it removes the layer that protects it from corrosion (chromium oxide). There are special lasers that can mark stainless steel using a process called laser annealing that works without removing the protective chromium oxide layer but the examples I've seen create black markings, not etched.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Standard laser etching shouldn't be used on stainless steel because it removes the layer that protects it from corrosion (chromium oxide). There are special lasers...
That sounds like bollocks to sell annealing. (Which is just using the heat-color-changing of metal.)

You just need to rebuild the proper nickel-chromium oxide on the surface which is usually done through a simple acid bath.

Hence... Letsee...
Well, if treated properly,
-Crissa

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I don't know... I preordered a CT because I love the idea of driving an armored veichle that fears no scratch. A wrap negates this, completely. As soon as your wrap is scratched, the underlying steel is going to shine through like a lit lamp.
I am more interested in the possible option to laser engrave the CT. I don't know, however, how visible the engravings could be and wether they can weaken the CT exoskeleton
My sentiments exactly. Fuck a bunch of wraps.
But...weakness? There's no crying in baseball weakness in Cybertruck!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
That sounds like bollocks to sell annealing. (Which is just using the heat-color-changing of metal.)

You just need to rebuild the proper nickel-chromium oxide on the surface which is usually done through a simple acid bath.

Hence... Letsee...

-Crissa
So you're saying laser etching might be OK if treated post-laser with an acid bath? Interesting. I wonder if it would be sufficient to just wipe it down with acid soaked pads?

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
Well, the advantages would be that they'd have pre-cut pieces and the patterns down pat. You'd be paying out of your initial purchase, which could give you some credit or tax advantages.

Advantage of a shop is... You might know them better?

-Crissa

I'd argue the true advantage is that you could wrap this car yourself for the cost of material, a squeegee and an exacto knife (probably won't even need a heat gun)

The truck is all hard angles and flat panels, this thing will be a breeze to wrap yourself even if you're a novice. No tricky cuts, no arduous prep-work...

At a shop, wrapping the CT vs (insert car here) will be such an easy job for seasoned pros, but I bet you their costs will not reflect the reduction in labor... you'll pay a ton of money for something that takes them an hour.

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I'd argue the true advantage is that you could wrap this car yourself for the cost of material, a squeegee and an exacto knife (probably won't even need a heat gun)

The truck is all hard angles and flat panels, this thing will be a breeze to wrap yourself even if you're a novice. No tricky cuts, no arduous prep-work...

At a shop, wrapping the CT vs (insert car here) will be such an easy job for seasoned pros, but I bet you their costs will not reflect the reduction in labor... you'll pay a ton of money for something that takes them an hour.
Another advantage, is custom colors/"textures"/designs.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag

I hope the rumor is true. And that buying the pre-cut wrapping material (from 3M or from Tesla) will be an option. (You could then buy an extra set, to use if the original is damaged.)
Sponsored