firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
A smaller Wolverine version is exactly what we need for Europe's much smaller roads.
Also Logical that a smaller version could be produced in Europe ...

Wolverine needs to be exported to many countries. Tesla Berlin plant products are mostly for EU and other surrounding countries.

China is largest vehicle market in the world. Building Wolverine at Tesla Shanghai factory means China domestic pickup truck market is easily fulfilled and would also be cost effective for export worldwide.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That prototype spotted last month with the mirrors and experimental wiper was DEFINITELY smaller than the original. There’s a side by side with a model S for comparison.
We were joking on that thread what if Elon duped all of us and we were looking at the Wolverine CT… personally I doubt they’d bother to engineer both prior to delivery, unless there’s some issues we’re not aware of the requires all this work being completed prior to production of the big boy CT.
Well…

What if Tesla decided to make the Wolverine **first**? Then followed up with the “Grizzly” edition a year later?

I could make a pretty decent business case for it.
  • More exportable/ Euro/ Asia friendly
  • Lower battery demand means they can sell more
  • Easier to hit lower price targets while they dial in battery production (even after they get the 4680 production going, it’s going to take them a few years to hit that 50% cost reduction)
  • There is likely enough demand for it to be hugely popular.
  • Likely easier to ship combined with Model Y or other narrower vehicles.
If the Wolverine uses 15% less batteries, that’s a pretty big production increase in a very battery constrained market. They might even be able to make a Wolverine version with LFP batteries which would be an even bigger capacity increase/ cost reduction.

I think it’s a long shot, but but it is certainly possible. It’s also possible the test vehicle was a prototype Wolverine model which they are planning on producing in 2024.

The most likely explanation is the one we saw on the track is the production version and all of the conjecture about it being smaller is just confusion over weird angles.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Musk said Tesla will address all categories.

Stands to reason, Wolverine will be produced to round off the Cyber pickup lineup, and I reckon within 2 years. German factory is big enough now.

I'm hoping Europe gets first dibs on their production, and are last for Austin production. This hopefully shrinks my waiting line, lol. DO IT !!!!! (selfish I know!)

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Everyone is running around like this rumor of a "wolverine" CT is legit. There's nothing that supports this beyond the dude (Chowdhry) with no history of either having inside sources or making good predictions saying this.

So now, when Tesla doesn't release or mention a small truck everyone is going to get all upset and cry about how "Elon never mentioned the rumored Wolverine! That guy never delivers!"

I'm not even going to pretend there will be a small version. There's enough expectation managing in dealing with the wait for this current variant of the CT.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Everyone is running around like this rumor of a "wolverine" CT is legit. There's nothing that supports this beyond the dude (Chowdhry) with no history of either having inside sources or making good predictions saying this.
I made it pretty clear in the top post this should be handled with a pretty big chunk of skepticism, I don’t think anyone else is overly bought into this either.

We like the idea. We like speculating about it.

That doesn’t mean we necessarily buy into it.

Totally agree about Trip Chowdhry. Dude has zero track record with Tesla and when I followed Apple a lot more he didn’t excite me as particularly well sourced either.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The thing that gets me is why would Tesla spend time designing their first truck for a small truck market?

Truck would pay for itself much faster here in the US, a larger truck market. I think Africa and Australia might be better for the next after the US.

I could see them announcing a van, which would be much more popular in Europe, according to people who live there.

If Tesla builds a van in Germany with the model 3, I could see it dominating… but maybe it is overstating the van vs pickup truck market preference between US and Europe.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
That prototype spotted last month with the mirrors and experimental wiper was DEFINITELY smaller than the original.
I don't think was smaller. Not in terms of going from a full size truck to anything that would be considered not full size. Which would be the case for a "wolverine" size truck.

I still think any change in size was/will/is only being done to make driving in the "Boring Company" size tunnels slightly easier. I still think the base of the bed will be about 6.5' and the width of the truck will still be very close to 80".

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I think this story deserves some merit. Manufacturing a full size and midsize version from the start is a no brainer.

Every ICE pickup manufacturer markets a full size and midsize pickup truck. Tesla would be losing those BEV pickup shoppers would love to own the full size Cybertruck but find it’s too large to park in their garage, want a more maneuverable version or don't need to carry 5 passengers in the cab.

If Tesla wants to tap into the urban US and European BEV pickup truck market they NEED a “Wolverine“ version of the Cybertruck.

Designing and engineering both a 6-passenger full size truck and a 4-passenger Cybertruck at the same time also makes business sense. The full size version will most likely have a premium price tag so Tesla can bring in a lower price Wolverine version at 2019 reveal MSRP.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I totally agree to have a CT 15 to 20% (especially in width and length) smaller. Even if it means having only two seats in the front!
Yeah, I expect that version eventually, but not at first. And I hope it comes to be! I would prefer a smaller truck: I literally have to carve any parking space out of the mountain, after all.

And Elon said it would be a good idea. But until Tesla is looking for more sales, it isn't going to happen. And we don't know when that will be. Eventually, of course, but it's tough waiting. Especially without even the base tantalizing teases we see of the full-size truck.

-Crissa

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Pure speculation.

So my speculation is that Tesla should focus on the 1st CyberTruck and not try to talk about ANOTHER model until they have DELIVERED about 400,000 CyberTrucks. Which probably won't be until 2024. So that is when they should ANNOUNCE another model.

Or maybe build the Roadster and Semi first, then talk about a smaller Cybertruck.

In the meantime, just build the dang CyberTruck!!!!

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So my speculation is that Tesla should focus on the 1st CyberTruck and not try to talk about ANOTHER model until they have DELIVERED about 400,000 CyberTrucks. Which probably won't be until 2024. So that is when they should ANNOUNCE another model.
This is most likely and most “fair’.

It would be interesting figuring out how quickly Tesla can add new product lines. With 5 new products sort-of queued up, how long before we see them?
Sponsored