Tesla should contact customers in RESERVATION # ORDER, regardless of motor choice... right?

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
There are so many conflicting opinions about which orders will be shipping first and how the motor choice you made years ago will affect when you're actually able to take delivery.

The latest assumption is that somebody who placed a dual motor on the very first day will actually wait longer than somebody who placed a tri-motor months later. That's crazy.

A lot of people say that the best option is to change your order to a tri-motor, but others warn that unless it's done right, there's a risk that you'll end up at the end of the line. That's crazy too... especially since the original order page made no mention that the tri-motor would be first.

So, rather than speculate, I tweeted to Elon Musk that they should call people in order, regardless of their choice in 2019... and ask them if they wanted to stick with the dual and wait... or change to a tri-motor and take delivery sooner.

If you got a call today from Tesla, asking you to choose:

1) Keep your existing dual motor order and wait 6-12 months longer.
or
2) Change it to a tri-motor... would you do it? I know I would, and there are probably others that would.

Perhaps if enough of us simply asked Tesla to consider this, they would make a ton of extra money from people like me who would chose to upgrade.
Soooo, Thinking you are all set by getting your order in early, you go cheap and select the single motor. Now you want to cry foul and cut in line for a tri-motor. Yah, uh No, we're not going to do that today. And we uh, Yah, We need to take your red stapler as well.
Sponsored

Julien

First Name
Julien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Honda Accord, Reserved Dual Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
You're taking what I said too literally.

They should definitely manage the reservations based on region, but if my next door neighbor orders a CyberTruck with a tri-motor nearly a year after I ordered a dual, he shouldn't get to order his first, just because he chose tri-motor. If a tri motor is made available in my area, I should be given first crack at getting it because of my earlier reservation.

The basis of what I wrote is that there are conflicting opinions of what will be made first. Some people are speculating that dual motor production could be 6 months to a year after tri-motor. Phone calls to two Tesla offices were dead ends. No official word, but they both said based on past history, higher end models are always made first.

The widely used Google Spreadsheet has a column for estimated delivery date. When I saw the estimates for people who literally made a reservation for a dual just before the announcement were nearly a year later than those who ordered a dual months later, I started to question my original choice.

I've read quite a few people in forums and YouTube comments say they wanted to change their choice because they didn't know at the time that the dual could *potentially* ship much later. Some said they managed to change without changing position, others (including the Tesla office in NJ) said that changing the choice would definitely move me to the end of the line as it would essentially create a new reservation.

With all this in mind, all I'm saying is that if the rumors are true, and there is a long delay for dual, I think a lot of people would change their order to tri, if asked... not skipped.
I get what you mean.

And what are the rumors that there are delays for the dual motor? The factory isn't even built yet, how could there even be delays?

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
I get what you mean.

And what are the rumors that there are delays for the dual motor? The factory isn't even built yet, how could there even be delays?
The Reservation Tracker / Google Spreadsheet that's linked on this site is what started this whole thing. I looked at the estimated delivery dates for the lowest reservation numbers and all of the dual reservations were up to a year later.

When I called Tesla to confirm this, they said they still don't know timelines, but confirmed the tri was most likely to be built first.

Here's the thing. I have a history of getting rid of my vehicles every 3 or 4 years, mostly while the extended warranty is in effect because I hate breakdowns... I'm driving a 2016 F-150 that I bought in early 2017. As I write this, it's been at the dealer for an entire month because of a breakdown. I've delayed buying something new because I have a CT2 reserved. My number's about 86K, and waiting until 2023 means I either need to get another gas truck, or risk more breakdowns.

I'm not suggesting Tesla call everyone on the list to confirm the order preference as some people have suggested. That would be silly. I'm just suggesting that when they start shipping in my area, rather than skip my day 1 CT2 reservation in favor of somebody who ordered a CT3 six months later than me, they should send emails to CT2 reservation holders in my area with the lowest reservation numbers the chance to upgrade their choice.

SilverEagleSix

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired Marine Corps
Country flag
A few months ago I changed from Dual to Tri motor on my reservation. My res number stayed the same for whatever that's worth.

I agree that clarity from Tesla would be great, but I don't think they're really keeping any info from us, I genuinely would place my bets that they simply don't know yet, and therefore don't want to say anything.

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Can so relate to many comments here. Sold my F350 recently just as warranty expired. What an F that truck got! Being without a truck sucks, but having a lemon is worse. Really want my CT3. Hopefully early spring 2022. Not much we can do about when we will all get our Cybertrucks, so we need to chill out. Go Tesla!!

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
There are so many conflicting opinions about which orders will be shipping first and how the motor choice you made years ago will affect when you're actually able to take delivery.

The latest assumption is that somebody who placed a dual motor on the very first day will actually wait longer than somebody who placed a tri-motor months later. That's crazy.

A lot of people say that the best option is to change your order to a tri-motor, but others warn that unless it's done right, there's a risk that you'll end up at the end of the line. That's crazy too... especially since the original order page made no mention that the tri-motor would be first.

So, rather than speculate, I tweeted to Elon Musk that they should call people in order, regardless of their choice in 2019... and ask them if they wanted to stick with the dual and wait... or change to a tri-motor and take delivery sooner.

If you got a call today from Tesla, asking you to choose:

1) Keep your existing dual motor order and wait 6-12 months longer.
or
2) Change it to a tri-motor... would you do it? I know I would, and there are probably others that would.

Perhaps if enough of us simply asked Tesla to consider this, they would make a ton of extra money from people like me who would chose to upgrade.
Right after the stock split and I realized that I would be able to pay cash for the Tri-motor, I changed mine from dual to tri. Don't care if my place in line changed or not since I waited over 2 years for my Model 3, waiting for the Cybertruck will be worth it.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I'm not suggesting that they call 1.2 million people on the phone. What I'm suggesting is that simply follow the original sequence, especially since those who ordered on day one were not told our motor selection could mean an additional year of waiting.

They could simply send messages to those with the lowest numbers (those ordered when tri-motor would ship sooner) asking them to decide. A simple email stating timelines, and a way to confirm our choice based on those timelines. Some will respond with a change, others will ignore it and stay where they are.

I've seen quite a few people say they've already made changes to their order... some said the sequence didn't change, others say it did.

I called Tesla of NJ last week and asked them if they knew which would ship first. They didn't have an official answer, but confirmed the tri motor would be most likely. I asked if it would be worthwhile to change my order. They said it would definitely move my position to the end of the line... from 86,xxx to well over 1.2 million.

I just find it funny that somebody who reserved a dual motor on the 1st day needs to wait longer than somebody who waited nearly a year to make a tri-motor reservation.

As for why I'm not thrilled with waiting. My current truck is a 2016 F-150 with 30,000 miles left on a 100,000 mile warranty. I don't want to keep it much longer, so it frustrates me that a choice I made in 2019 determines whether I can replace it in 2022 or 2023.
You do realize that vehicles still function after the warranty period. In fact, the longer you drive them past that, the more economical the initial sticker price becomes.

It's less wasteful to keep your vehicles for as long as they function properly. But i guess I'm swimming upstream in a culture that prefers to replace their vehicles with barely any mileage on them.

You preordered a vehicle you knew wasn't available for years and are now impatient when that fact became reality. What's one maybe 2 more years? It won't even be out of warranty by the time yours is delivered given your current mileage and average yearly usage since purchase. So what's the issue here?

Last edited:

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y x 2
Country flag
I have a low dual-motor reservation (made the night of the reveal). I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about which trim to reserve, so I chose a dual-motor for no particular reason. In my haste, I also didn't select the FSD option. Later I added FSD for $7K without it changing my reservation number. I've since decided the tri-motor is what I really want, but I'm not going to edit my reservation unless I'm absolutely sure that my reservation number won't change and the price of FSD won't go up.

The tracking spreadsheet predicts my delivery will be July 2022. If I had reserved a tri-motor I'd be at position ~3,400 for that trim with a predicted delivery date of Feb 2022. That's a significant difference. I'll be looking for an opportunity to change my reservation at some point, but for now I'm standing pat. Lots of people would gladly take delivery a year from now.

MADMAN

First Name
Jahson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Dual Motor
Occupation
Laboratory Technician (Analytical Chemistry)
Country flag
My money is on the theory that DM Cybertrucks will roll out in volume first, followed by the TM and lastly, the single motor variant. It makes the most sense to me.

OP
OP
Idea Of The Day

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
You do realize that vehicles still function after the warranty period. In fact, the longer you drive them past that, the more economical the initial sticker price becomes.

It's less wasteful to keep your vehicles for as long as they function properly. But i guess I'm swimming upstream in a culture that prefers to replace their vehicles with barely any mileage on them.

You preordered a vehicle you knew wasn't available for years and are now impatient when that fact became reality. What's one maybe 2 more years? It won't even be out of warranty by the time yours is delivered given your current mileage and average yearly usage since purchase. So what's the issue here?
I knew it would be a few years, and I hope my F-150 will be my last ICE, because the timing corresponds to the length of time I often keep a vehicle before getting something new and my trade in value would still be pretty solid.

I didn't think my choice of dual motors might add an additional year of waiting, and unfortunately my truck broke down unexpectedly. It's been at the dealer for over a month, with no indication they even know what's wrong with it. They get error codes, swap parts, then get new errors.

Frankly, with all the parts of an engine and transmission that can fail, I'm ready to close the door to gas vehicles for good.

I know my anxiety of breaking down is not justified, but I've had several bad experiences with breakdowns on the road. My pre-covid driving pattern was about 26,000 miles per year, so I tend to get a new ride every 3-4 years to make me feel safe.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
I knew it would be a few years, and I hope my F-150 will be my last ICE, because the timing corresponds to the length of time I often keep a vehicle before getting something new and my trade in value would still be pretty solid.

I didn't think my choice of dual motors might add an additional year of waiting, and unfortunately my truck broke down unexpectedly. It's been at the dealer for over a month, with no indication they even know what's wrong with it. They get error codes, swap parts, then get new errors.

Frankly, with all the parts of an engine and transmission that can fail, I'm ready to close the door to gas vehicles for good.

I know my anxiety of breaking down is not justified, but I've had several bad experiences with breakdowns on the road. My pre-covid driving pattern was about 26,000 miles per year, so I tend to get a new ride every 3-4 years to make me feel safe.
Perhaps your prior vehicle choice was flawed? ? Just another idea….

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag

Well hopefully this will solve that problem for most of us.

I drive my vehicles until they die. Current Ridgeline at 245k miles. Expecting to just about reach 300k when my number gets called. Wasn't planning on replacing it, but the ct is the vehicle of my 80s child dreams and holding onto the Ridgeline much past 300k when the tech of the day will be much cheaper and safer just doesn't make sense much past the next 5 years. So I've resigned to this being my first new vehicle purchase and my last vehicle purchase. 45 when i get it, fully expecting to test the limit of their million mile batteries and by the time i hit 75, I'll be at about 300k miles on the ct and when they want to take my keys away from me, I'll have the fsd option to take over!

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
As a 19TM3 owner, I know being down the line means you'll get a vastly improved CT. I'm patient, the Tesla experience is a continuing improving process, and that's the best difference between the rest of the OEMs.
Sponsored