Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You can buy shelf stable gasoline but it costs 4-5x as much. You can buy in in gallon tins, and most cars are not designed to run on it anymore.

I know a couple stations that pump it, but they're both in remote places near tracks.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't see my tractors going anywhere, anytime soon.
I could totally see most small tractors going battery. Perfect candidate for LFP cells since weight on tractors is often good. Not for a few years yet though. Maybe when cells come down a bit in 4-5 years.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Left field (scuse the pun)

There will be a need for automation, but not everything needs proprietary autonomy.
It would take 100 years to replace old machinery with new Autonomous systems... and we need to engineer and design these things. An enormous task given the tens of thousands of differing applications.

A disruption before it even begins.

Enter stage left … The Tesla Bot !!!!!

No need to create an intricate machine which navigates a particular configuration to pick strawberries. Just put in a couple of Bots, and they navigate in practically any configuration, 7 days and nights a week.

Robots have 2 hands and 2 legs... just like humans. They can replicate us in everything we do.

The future is right in front of our eyes... and we are just starting to make it out.

Buy $TSLA

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
True. But, they've been making gasoline for over 100 years. There's no shelf stable gasoline because it's never been in their best interest to make it. But, I'll just go ahead and say, I'm pretty much biased towards never giving the oil industry the benefit of the D.

When demand for gas eventually hits the bottom of the toilet, and the only vehicles that use it are in museums/car collector garages-think of people like Jay Leno. I'm sure they'll miraculously develop a shelf stable variant. Propane and fuel oil are flammable yet have home storage systems. So, making a home gasoline storage system is easily something that can be done when the market emerges.
Shelf-stable gasoline is possible now but it costs a lot more than normal gasoline because it uses the more stable distillates and leaves a lot of the less useful/valuable components behind.

The point is not that people can't store gasoline at home in large quantities - it's that it's not economic or practical when cheap EV's are plentiful and electricity is perhaps even cheaper than it is today. This means it will never be popular enough to be significant.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
I wasn't talking about the current economy of it, I was talking a post-ICE future.

My comment was just picturing the future of gasoline supply and how it will exist in the future, and what role it will have. I guarantee you that over the decades as EVs become commonplace and gas stations start to disappear, a market WILL arise where people who have "classic cars" will also need home storage of ICE fuel. I wasn't referring to daily drivers, but how ICE collectors will be the only market left for fuel sales, and home storage of fuel will be what it the industry will be relegated to.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wasn't talking about the current economy of it, I was talking a post-ICE future.

My comment was just picturing the future of gasoline supply and how it will exist in the future, and what role it will have. I guarantee you that over the decades as EVs become commonplace and gas stations start to disappear, a market WILL arise where people who have "classic cars" will also need home storage of ICE fuel. I wasn't referring to daily drivers, but how ICE collectors will be the only market left for fuel sales, and home storage of fuel will be what it the industry will be relegated to.
Cars can burn the same fuel small aircraft burn. It’s often used for racing.

Gas prices may raise a lot, but there will still be ways to purchase it for at least decades. It’ll just get more expensive.

Shelf stable gas is probably a good idea for a lot of these old cars regardless since they often sit idle for a long time. I wonder what museums do to keep their cars running.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Cars can burn the same fuel small aircraft burn. It’s often used for racing.

Gas prices may raise a lot, but there will still be ways to purchase it for at least decades. It’ll just get more expensive.

Shelf stable gas is probably a good idea for a lot of these old cars regardless since they often sit idle for a long time. I wonder what museums do to keep their cars running.
Agreed. Home storage will never be a big thing. Fuel will be available for decades; it will just be very expensive (and probably with a large carbon tax on top of that). Gas at $25/gallon will really take the shine off taking a drive in a classic car that is gutless, gets 15 mpg, emits a stinky smell that is easily smelled by anyone in the vicinity, requires a lot of preventive maintenance involving toxic chemicals disposal, has tune-up parts priced as if they were a low-volume specialty item and handles like a drunken whale. Especially if it elicits "boos" and hisses from random bystanders.

Of course, it might help you get a date with a 75 year old lady if you're into that sort of thing.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Cars can burn the same fuel small aircraft burn.
Most small aircraft, at least the older ones, require Low Lead fuel (As opposed to lead free). Depending on your car, the LL fuel may cause issues.