Tri motor Cybertruck better V2G *investment* value than dual?

Tonzarama

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado 6.6L desiel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Sounds like it is a viable option, since our loads and C are minimal. Voiding the warranty is not something I'd want to do. Maybe there'll be a third party hardware/software option that Tesla would allow. one can only hope. Thank you for your time and thoughts A. J., much appreciated.
Sponsored

CaptainVagabond

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi TTS, 1976 Carrera 3.0
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
V2G is just one aspect. I'm looking forward to V2V being a thing. Running low on battery power wouldn't be as daunting if your vehicle could be shown on Tesla's navigation with a "Fellow Tesla driver needs some charge" and notifying nearby drivers who could then offer a hand by clicking on the driver's icon and sending a "Help is on the way" message. Then, they could offer up enough charge to enable the stranded motorist to make it to the nearest available charging station.

I mean, how cool would that be?
That would be very cool, great idea!

Nikki2

First Name
Ed T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR with Dual Motors + Cybertruck on order
Occupation
Professional Grampa
Country flag
Purchase $ for purchase $, would the tri-motor $69k CT's larger (?) or more efficient (?) battery have better *investment* value for V2G (Vehicle to Grid) than dual motor $49k CT?
My bet is that by the time the Cybertruck goes into production it will have lower cost and better performing batteries. The dual version, I believe, will have at least a 400 mile range.

Reactions: Geo

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
One
This vid also explains well how V2G future would work:
One thing I have discovered about this pair is that they are almost consistently wrong. They could easily go out and hire a consulting engineer to explain some of these issues to them but would rather just take whatever whim strikes them and run with it.

I have explained, at some length, in other posts that I, and I imagine most other engineers, would be hard pressed to come up with a battery charger/regulator/voltage converter that ISN"T bi directional. In the old days the switches were diodes that went off when back biased but now they can be gated on or off with either polarity applied. The difference between a rectifier and an inverter is how one gates the switches. Design schematics for earlier Tesla chargers have been published before. The architecture is essentially the same. Nothing new here.

Many of us currently have solar panels on our roofs and many of us have a PowerWall or something of the sort tied in. A big part of these systems involve monitoring of the grid to insure that it is within specific limits before any power is fed to it. Similar circuitry/software will be required in the car and/or EVSE (assumes the Gateway function of the PowerWall). If they can do it with the Powerwall they can do it with the car but they haven't. There will be no downloading of any softrware to my car which will make it V2G compatible. If there were I would not be allowed to connect it to my utility.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
One

One thing I have discovered about this pair is that they are almost consistently wrong. They could easily go out and hire a consulting engineer to explain some of these issues to them but would rather just take whatever whim strikes them and run with it.

I have explained, at some length, in other posts that I, and I imagine most other engineers, would be hard pressed to come up with a battery charger/regulator/voltage converter that ISN"T bi directional. In the old days the switches were diodes that went off when back biased but now they can be gated on or off with either polarity applied. The difference between a rectifier and an inverter is how one gates the switches. Design schematics for earlier Tesla chargers have been published before. The architecture is essentially the same. Nothing new here.

Many of us currently have solar panels on our roofs and many of us have a PowerWall or something of the sort tied in. A big part of these systems involve monitoring of the grid to insure that it is within specific limits before any power is fed to it. Similar circuitry/software will be required in the car and/or EVSE (assumes the Gateway function of the PowerWall). If they can do it with the Powerwall they can do it with the car but they haven't. There will be no downloading of any softrware to my car which will make it V2G compatible. If there were I would not be allowed to connect it to my utility.
I stopped watching them. They are fanboys and like ajde said are wrong alot.

Replicanthunter

First Name
JohnPaul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like them. Yes they are big fans but so what. They are great supporters arn't hurting Tesla in the least. In fact they are helping.

They are also number 20 on the list to get a CT so don't tune them totally out.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
My bet is that the electric Cyberquad will be an exclusive option ONLY on the Tri Motor model.

Kalzone

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Government
Country flag
If you want to fantasize about V2G its your fantasy and you can imagine anything you want.

A more realistic fantasy is that the TriMotor will have multiple charging ports as the Semi is set up that way. The current chargers are capable of passing 48 A at 240 to the battery and with minimal modification could pass it back to the mains were Tesla to chose to make those mods and, of course, also add the additional hardware and software necessary for V2G. So why not fantasize that you will have 96 A available?

Musk has, in the past, indicated that he has little interest in V2G at this time but that may change if the utilities ever move towards V2G and if batteries whose chemical age isn't so severely impacted by repeared cycling are developed. At the same time he has got a charger architecture that is not incompatible with V2G so he can tell the starry eyed that Tesla's products are capable of it. The man is a genius when it comes to stuff like that.

V2G is in the future, it was just unlikely to happen as the current battery tech isn't up to par. Now if you wanted to V2H that's a different story. It doesn't hurt to use the power from your tesla to power your home in the event of a power failure from the mains. Once the Million-mile battery is announced, V2G will be. So stayed tuned for battery day.

Kalzone

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Government
Country flag
Since the CT will have the Million Mile pack it's going to change a lot of owners from dual to tri as they will understand they will achieve 5,000 + cycles from the pack and not 1,000 before degeneration. So at this time with the information you know, no it's not worth it. But once the news has been released about battery day that's 3 months overdue, you'll change your mind.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Purchase $ for purchase $, would the tri-motor $69k CT's larger (?) or more efficient (?) battery have better *investment* value for V2G (Vehicle to Grid) than dual motor $49k CT?
Mile of range per dollar is already better on the tri-motor, so the V2G potential is icing on the cake for me.

Last edited:

KingBee74

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
V2G is just one aspect. I'm looking forward to V2V being a thing. Running low on battery power wouldn't be as daunting if your vehicle could be shown on Tesla's navigation with a "Fellow Tesla driver needs some charge" and notifying nearby drivers who could then offer a hand by clicking on the driver's icon and sending a "Help is on the way" message. Then, they could offer up enough charge to enable the stranded motorist to make it to the nearest available charging station.

I mean, how cool would that be?
I hope that happens as it would be helpful in many situations.

KingBee74

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Leaf
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I understand utilities and would suggest that you not plan to reap huge savings from V2G. It would likely be closer to paying for your electric use by the vehicle.

MeganGale

First Name
Megan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Each powerwall gets cheaper as you buy more, too. Have to add that into the equation
Sponsored