Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
So here is a good one and maybe Tesla engineers need to think about those of us who don't live in California weather.

How well will the roll up cover work when covered in snow or ice?

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
So here is a good one and maybe Tesla engineers need to think about those of us who don't live in California weather.

What are your thoughts?
I guess I'll keep it open or closed for the worst months if it turns out to be a problem. Noticed in latest J-Leno's garage vid that the tail gate still opens independently of cover so not end of the world if cover stays closed.
Not that we get a ton of snow here, maybe a week or two. If it was months I guess I would have to think on it.
I'm more concerned about fir needles gumming up the tracks in my locale. It'll definitely live outside vs garage.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

What are your thoughts?
This seems like a first world problem. OK say I go Skiing and damn thing gets stuck. I just open the tailgate to access the bed. Who knows maybe pull out the airhose and blow the snow off, or climb up there with a broom. Afterwards, maybe pour some warm water on it and Wallah it opens. Once it's open, I would just leave it open like every other pickup truck in the world.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
Could possibly have heat elements run throughout the tonneau cover, similar to your rear glass. MN resident here, and agree this would be a challenge, if there weren’t a heat element, or solution using the cabin’s heat.

chphilo

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), Tundra
Country flag
The problem for those of us living in the winter wonderland is that also the tailgate freezes (to the tonneau cover) also.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
The vault rolling cover should be durable due to its commercial roll up design. The best part? Tesla makes it STANDARD EQUIPMENT on all versions of the Cybertruck. The Big 3 would have made this an expensive option, just like they do with factory spray in bed liners.

Last edited:

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Sandy Munro covered this one of his (sit down) talks about the CT. He said he had lots of experience with these things in the aircraft industry and they're very reliable.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag

What are your thoughts?
Should have gotten yourself the Boring company's Not-a-Flamethrower

Tesla Cybertruck Vault and roll up cover in cold climates 1590727890338

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Could possibly have heat elements run throughout the tonneau cover, similar to your rear glass. MN resident here, and agree this would be a challenge, if there weren’t a heat element, or solution using the cabin’s heat.
A strip heater or rope heater (similar to omega. ca) could work.? Using cabin heat would not work here in northern BC. Strip heater would be an energy pig that would cost many watts, but be a nice feature for sure. imagine getting all tools out if it’s frozen shut? For me, i would be plugged in at home while warming it up... right up til when I leave, so really would not impact my range much if any.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
cold climate package will need to be an option for sure. Here in CA i never think about that stuff ;)
But I think directing close proximity jets of heated a/c air to the vault rails could allow it to open with little time and energy usage, but where will the snow and ice go? Up on the top?
Sponsored