What Are The Real Reasons Cybertrucks Continue To Be Roped Off In Tesla Showrooms?

YDR37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
We can probably all agree that trip planning in advance is important with EVs. Yet for some reason, Tesla doesn’t seem to be giving prospective Cybertruck buyers the opportunity to do that.
Of course, you could use ABRP as an alternative to the Tesla trip planners. But the Cybertruck options on ABRP are still in "alpha stage", so not necessarily meaningful. In fact, ABRP has options for Cybertrucks that haven't even been released yet (like "Cyberbeast with Range Extender" and "Cybertruck Rear Wheel Drive"), so it seems pretty speculative at this point.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Good idea for estimating the number of stops. But what about the charging times at those stops? The Model 3 LR only needs to charge a 75 kWh battery; the Cybertruck has a 123 kWh battery.
That's a definitely a yet to be seen situation.

What most people don't realize is that the 250kW speed is only available from 0 to about 35% of charge. At that point it has dropped to 150 kW and the difference between a 250 and 150 kW charger is negligible (unless you are limited to 50kW because someone is plugged in on the paired pedestal)

But it isn't a secret that the fastest route is to always come into the next charger on empty. That's to beat the charging curve. And this also suggests that you never want to stop at Superchargers every 50-100 miles, just to stay on top of that curve.

And that also suggests why, unless you won't make it to the next Supercharger, never, ever charge to 90% or above. It takes longer to go to 80-100% than it took to get to 80%!!!

But that's some work and road trips are for fun.

A lot will be dependent on the actual efficiency of the truck, but it is a big vehicle, and it will use more power. Charging stops will be longer.

Okay, many non-Tesla owners will think that this is stupid, but most Tesla owners will agree. Longer charging means that I don't have to stuff my face as fast or get up in the middle of a meal to move the car to avoid idle charges.

On my recent 2300 mile trip, I don't think that I waited at Supercharger for even two hours. While I was at Superchargers a lot more than that, I used the stops for other things, like bio-breaks, stretching, and eating.

While Tesla has some awesome "pass the time" movies and apps in the car, I never really have enough time to use them.

And of course, that's when on the road, the other 95% of the time when I'm at home, I don't care. The battery is always full in the morning.

It's honestly a different paradigm, charging an EV. It's nothing like filling your car with gas.

Mark Lindgren

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander and Toyota Prius
Occupation
Home inspector
Country flag
I just went to the Portland store today to see it. First off it looked HUGE in the showroom and in person. Don’t think the wife was too impressed. Also No one was there to see the Cybertruck

Rep was very helpful, looked up my reservation number to verify it was setup correctly.

She also said that although this is a released truck (it was a foundation series) the interior was still missing a few details (she said “parts”), just like all of the other showroom ones. hence why Tesla wasn’t letting anyone inside until the can get them ALL “finished”.

she also said maybe “soon” they will get the okay to open the windows.

yeah it’s weird.
Portland, Oregon show room??

Mark Lindgren

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander and Toyota Prius
Occupation
Home inspector
Country flag
I just went to the Portland store today to see it. First off it looked HUGE in the showroom and in person. Don’t think the wife was too impressed. Also No one was there to see the Cybertruck

Rep was very helpful, looked up my reservation number to verify it was setup correctly.

She also said that although this is a released truck (it was a foundation series) the interior was still missing a few details (she said “parts”), just like all of the other showroom ones. hence why Tesla wasn’t letting anyone inside until the can get them ALL “finished”.

yeah it’s weird.

yeah it’s weird.
is this showroom in Portland Oregon?
The Tesla store on Macadam Ave has a Cybertruck on display.

4330 S Macadam Ave
Portland, OR 97239
United States

IMG_4884.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpeg

YDR37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
It's honestly a different paradigm, charging an EV. It's nothing like filling your car with gas.
OK, that's true. The question, though, is whether Tesla is doing enough to prepare prospective Cybertruck customers -- including many first-time EV buyers -- for that paradigm shift.

Cybertrucks are now making highly visible appearances in showrooms and on the streets, and Tesla is busily collecting $120,000 orders. Yet at this point, the real-world ranges of those Cybertrucks remain in the realm of educated guessing, and the real-world charging times are (as you say) a "yet to be seen situation".

Obviously people are still placing those $120,000 Cybertruck orders, even without those details (and without the opportunity for test drives, or even the opportunity to sit inside). However, I suspect that some first-time EV buyers are not going to be completely happy when they finally take their brand new Cybertruck out on its first road trip.. By not preparing them for the new paradigm, Tesla may be setting them up for disappointment instead.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
OK, that's true. The question, though, is whether Tesla is doing enough to prepare prospective Cybertruck customers -- including many first-time EV buyers -- for that paradigm shift.

Cybertrucks are now making highly visible appearances in showrooms and on the streets, and Tesla is busily collecting $120,000 orders. Yet at this point, the real-world ranges of those Cybertrucks remain in the realm of educated guessing, and the real-world charging times are (as you say) a "yet to be seen situation".

Obviously people are still placing those $120,000 Cybertruck orders, even without those details (and without the opportunity for test drives, or even the opportunity to sit inside). However, I suspect that some first-time EV buyers are not going to be completely happy when they finally take their brand new Cybertruck out on its first road trip.. By not preparing them for the new paradigm, Tesla may be setting them up for disappointment instead.
Only a fool listens to one or two YouTube videos and makes a determination that flies in the face of conventional wisdom.
Tesla had to sign legal papers that the truck met the EPA numbers.

While YouTubers make more money when they bring up controversial data.

While I haven't watched the videos, I'm not going to allow them to get MORE money, from all accounts, the numbers aren't being presented in their entirety and context. Most everything that I've seen, I can reproduce in one of my cars. But that doesn't make it normal reality.

And I'm pretty sure that many more $100,000 duals are being sold right now than $120,000 beasts. Main reason, Beasts won't be available until much later in the year.

And for a little comparison, Ford F-150 Platinum ICE (not the top of the line) are going for about $80k
Sponsored