Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
Partly yes. But also there's a lot of disbelief that a truck *can* look like this - I mean, *at all* like this.

The posters I'm talking about confidently assert that CT will undergo a total redesign before release. Not detail changes or even the ridiculous but pretty usual concept-to-production downgrade inflicted on things like say the VW ID.Buzz - unrecognisably different. Normal-pickup-shaped.
Sponsored

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
This mostly seems to be associated with flat refusal to believe anyone could want a truck which looks the way CT does. But surely the 1.x million preorders suggests the looks are either a non-issue or a selling point, yes?

If the project required that level of change for some reason, would most of us keep up our orders?

If it was a slightly swoopy but essentially normal truck with a few Tesla design language tells I'd probably just give up and stick with a Y.

Tesla Cybertruck TFL Says the Cybertruck Will Flop tesla cybertruck delivered copy

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This mostly seems to be associatd with flat refusal to believe anyone could want a truck which looks the way CT does. But surely the 1.x million preorders suggests the looks are either a non-issue or a selling point, yes?

If the project required that level of change for some reason, would most of us keep up our orders?

If it was a slightly swoopy but essentially normal truck with a few Tesla design language tells I'd probably just give up and stick with a Y.
If the functional features are as good or better than what was revealed, and most notably the 3mm stainless steel exoskeleton and 500+ mile range (tri-motor) then I am going to remain 'in'. I was/am not particularly enamored with the giant wiper but if it works then I really don't care. The visual appearance doesn't really matter to me. I must say that the CT looks like a tank, and from all reports of people that have seen it, it looks to be a monster. Huge is not something that appeals to me but the functionality does so I will live with it. Again, functionality is king to me, and everything else is secondary or unimportant. I agree that the you tubers are in it for the clicks and if they keep up the broken record of the CT being ugly, or its visual design changing, no matter how many times Elon says it won't, then I have to ignore them (along with the many who think that Tesla will behave like the legacy automakers - e.g., VW and their Buzz fiasco). Regarding the Model Y, I like it much more than our Model 3, but it is not a truck and never will be. I am much too careful with it and I do not like being careful with a truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This mostly seems to be associatd with flat refusal to believe anyone could want a truck which looks the way CT does. But surely the 1.x million preorders suggests the looks are either a non-issue or a selling point, yes?

I want something electric, capable of moving my bikes 300+ miles, good for forest roads, and camping capable. The Model Y does not hit many of those and is only barely adequate on others.

So I’d likely hang onto the Cybertruck order.

But that isn’t really a concern. Tesla has made it quite clear the Cybertruck is they Cybertruck. The one we saw at the Cyber Rodeo is very close to what the final will look like. The only big variables are *maybe* price and range.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The only big variables are *maybe* price and range.
And:

Four wheel steer
Quad Motor
Screen behind the yoke
midgate
solar

I call these variables because they were not part of the original reveal, but have been mentioned by Elon in tweets, seen in prototypes or have been heavily rumored.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
And:

Four wheel steer
Quad Motor
Screen behind the yoke
midgate
solar

I call these variables because they were not part of the original reveal, but have been mentioned by Elon in tweets, seen in prototypes or have been heavily rumored.
tailgate ramp.. haven't seen since the reveal.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And:

Four wheel steer
Quad Motor
Screen behind the yoke
midgate
solar

Yep. There are lots of little details which might be changed.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Regarding the Model Y, I like it much more than our Model 3, but it is not a truck and never will be. I am much too careful with it and I do not like being careful with a truck.
I agree 1,000%. I want the Cybertruck because it an EV AND I will not have to worry or stress about most causes of damage to it.

No scratches from asshats keying it because it is a Tesla or eco friendly EV.

No dings from careless people opening their door into it. (hehe, their door is going to be the one dinged.)

No dings from shopping carts.

No dings from hail.

Fewer dings from debris thrown by wind storms.

Fewer dings from rocks & debris thrown from tires of other vehicles.

Fewer dings from rocks & debris thrown falling off trucks.

Fewer dents from fallen tree branches.

No scratches from shrub or tree branches on sides of tight driveways or park trails.

No dents from golf balls, baseballs, soccer balls, etc.

No scratches from automated car wash systems

----------------------

7 Most Common Causes of Dents to Your Vehicle
by brightonpanel | Apr 22, 2020
https://brightonpanelworks.com.au/news/7-most-common-causes-of-dents-to-your-vehicle/

Shopping Trolleys / Grocery Carts

Leisure Equipment

Car Doors

Hail Storms and windstorms

Fallen Tree Branches

Tight Parking Spaces

Poorly Maintained Roads and Debris
Asphalt deteriorates over time, causing it to crack and break down into small surface fragments which can become airborne and strike the surface of your vehicle. This can lead to fairly significant damage — to both the body of your car and windshield.

Last edited:

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
I want something electric, capable of moving my bikes 300+ miles, good for forest roads, and camping capable. The Model Y does not hit many of those and is only barely adequate on others.
So I’d likely hang onto the Cybertruck order.
Realistically, probably me too. When I lug stuff it's mostly garden plants and small amounts of construction stuff, 2.4m 4x2s etc. A Y will do fine, better than my old ICE SUV. Expecting to own one for several years (please, Elon, please...let Aussies have Ys soon).

But it will be nice to change over to the CT once we get RHD. I'll be able to get my bikes into that too, not really something I need to with most, but one's a Ducati...nuff said...

Glad it's a moot point though. The ugly stainless wedge is what this thing is. Love it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Yes, it is possible ( ok, so scratch resistant) but

1. cold-rolled 30x stainless is harder to scratch than the low quality stainless steel used in kitchen sinks or tables.

2. cold-rolled 30x stainless steel is much more scratch resistant than automotive exterior paint.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hardened stainless is much tougher to scratch than paint.

Not only that, scratches are less obvious.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
---------------------------------

Was the guy doing the keying an owner of body shop creating demand for his services ???

THIS GUY KEYED THE WRONG TESLA
A vandal keyed a Tesla and caused $4,800 USD damage, and the owner set out to find him. Get ready because this video keeps ramping up and gets crazier and crazier.
Jun 1, 2022
Wham Baam Teslacam

-----

---------------------------------

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Or actually blend into the material texture. It'll come pre-scratched in that way.

-Crissa
Like the more expensive new jeans that are pre-washed & pre-holed.
New jeans without wash or holes cost less.
Sponsored