My real motivation in owning a CyberTruck

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
$0.25 off peak, $0.49 on peak.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I had 3 reasons for placing an order.
1. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.
2. Still believe it will be self driving.
3. And the reason for HAD.... Bench front seat. What can I say, I am a snuggler. Bummed that this appears to be no longer the plan.
FSD is inevitable..... like in I. Robot, I think the time will come soon that people driving will be seen as weird.

OP
OP
S.H.Peterson

S.H.Peterson

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Currently Dodge Truck owner
Occupation
Insurance
Country flag
FSD is inevitable..... like in I. Robot, I think the time will come soon that people driving will be seen as weird.
I guess I will always be a weirdo!
Why change now?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I want a truck that's not ICE - that's my reason.
Likewise. And I don't necessarily trust Fords new electric division yet and I don't want to pay Rivian $90k for a hip overpriced truck. Its like the 5 years after the iphone came out. A lot of other vendors started trying to catch up but the iphone was years ahead. That's were Tesla is now. Its just a no brainer. And I dont care about the environment for myself or shit in pools because its convenient. I don't do it because I dont want to leave my kids a pile of shit to deal with as best i can. And i bet we need the polar bears more than we realize. There are always unintended consequences. Watch, OP is probably going to be buried in a coffin of compressed seal crap because once the polar bears are wiped out the seals will take over the world. The Sealapocalypse is coming. Better get those Amphibious CTs!

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
And the almost immediate next step will be that we start flying in drones. Once AI can pilot far better than we can, aviation will become the obvious choice. There is almost infinitely more space up in the sky and far less constraints. I used to work at a hobby store 20 years ago and gas was all the rage. Gas RC trucks. Electric was in but it was just becoming cool with Nm batteries and brushless motors. Within 5 years electric was all the rage as it became much more powerful and reliable and easier than the gas RC stuff. Now its all about drones. You hardly ever see people messing with RC cars or trucks on the adult level. But you do see a lot of drones. I keep telling my kids that by the time they are working in 10 to 15 years its very likely that they will fly to work. That is definitely the next step. I wish someone like Elon would grab onto that and run with it.

Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
A Tesla M3 LR gets about 360 miles a charge.
Might want to temper those range expectations. I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range with the basic Aero Wheels (which are supposed to yield better range) and unless something drastic has happened with the range in the newer models since I got mine, it gets around 310 miles at best and that is if I drive at speed limit and don't use the A/C. I have done a few tests to see how accurate the on-screen range estimate is and it's not accurate and definitely an optimistic estimate.

I did all the range tests when I first got the car, nowadays I only charge to 80%, definitely use the A/C when needed, and keep Sentry mode on all the time. Thankfully I can charge at home so range anxiety is not an issue.

Also, 2.96 a gallon?!? That seems really sweet, we're averaging $5/gallon in California. :(

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Im going to go out on a narrow ledge here.
I dont care about the CT being 'green'., save the planet, polar bears, baby harp seals and all that. Neven been in the forefront of my mind.

I want it because of this :
I just filled up my wife's Dodge Laramie Longhorn.

30 gallons @ 2.96 a gallon.
Big sucker gets a BEST of 17.8 or so to a gallon, averages about 15-16.

Thats 6 miles per dollar for the fuel ALONE. Oil changes cost about 100.00 for the good stuff.
A Tesla M3 LR gets about 360 miles a charge. A charge is about 24.00
Thats about 15miles per dollar!

Total C.O.O. will be about 15-17% that of a ICe vehicle by far!
I want a CT because it WILL go FAST ( a LOT faster than that laramie ) on the cheap with a LOT less maintenance expense.
I want a CT becuase I can make my electricy WAY easier than a combustible fuel.
I want a CT becuase it will last me till I get hired as a coffin stuffer.

So you can scold me if you want about the 'environmental benefit' not even being a concern.
I’m with you 100% , and actually there has been some pretty good evidence that actually making these batteries is horrible as far as carbon footprint etc… actually it ends up being worse for the environment.

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I’m with you 100% , and actually there has been some pretty good evidence that actually making these batteries is horrible as far as carbon footprint etc… actually it ends up being worse for the environment.
Was there a Fox News logo and a union logo at the bottom of that study with sponsorship by big oil. Lead based paint and asbestos used to be great also.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No, there isn't.

Batteries are recycled. Gasoline isn't.

One doesn't make air pollution, (or at least makes less pollution). The other does, and right into everyone's faces.

There's just no good argument to be had. Just lots of bad ones.

(I love pyoorkate's intro here)

-Crissa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model 3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
No, there isn't.

Batteries are recycled. Gasoline isn't.

One doesn't make air pollution, (or at least makes less pollution). The other does, and right into everyone's faces.

There's just no good argument to be had. Just lots of bad ones.

(I love pyoorkate's intro here)

-Crissa
We could spend pointless time debating this and also the same amount of time finding the answers to back each other up on our belief.

The fact of the matter is that nobody is getting the 100% truth and anybody doing the research is making the numbers look like they are in the favor of what they want to report.
Also…why bring your politic into this, there’s absolutely no reason for it.
Sponsored