Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
From the very beginning Tesla said that all 3 trims would have 3,500 pound payloads so whatever speculation you guys are doing it isn’t based on anything Tesla said.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
From the very beginning Tesla said that all 3 trims would have 3,500 pound payloads so whatever speculation you guys are doing it isn’t based on anything Tesla said.
Did they say all trims? I’d kind of assumed something similar, but peeked at the website and it just says “Max Payload 3,500 pounds”. Its not a number that shows when you change the tri/ dual/ single toggle on the site either.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Here's the official numbers at the reveal.

bythenumbers.jpg
Thanks for pulling the pic. It is early in the unveiling video for those interested. Hopefully that will end that particular speculation bonanza! There are so many things we don't know about the cybertruck that are wide open for speculation, but there are a few things we do know about the cybertruck and we shouldn't spend a lot of time speculating about those.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Did they say all trims? I’d kind of assumed something similar, but peeked at the website and it just says “Max Payload 3,500 pounds”. Its not a number that shows when you change the tri/ dual/ single toggle on the site either.
I'd expect that they would aim for the DM having full payload, maybe leaning a bit towards the TM. Both the DM and SM will be the workhorses, the TM the bosses car or lifestyle truck. (Tow truck?)

The SM "could" have up to 410kg (900pounds) more payload, but it won't because at least half of that extra DM weight is on the front axle, whereas the payload in a SM would be in the rear alone. So expect to see maybe 400 pounds extra on the SM compared to the DM. So say 3900pounds. Which is still heaps.

The only real limitation is the suspension, brakes and wheels they use. These can structurally be designed for more payload without an issue. There are single tyres that can handle 8 tons each (so 2x CTs on one super single) on semi trucks, even with smaller diameters.

Obviously, they also want to keep it reasonable and safe too, but its likely they will push the envelope enough to be competitive. Especially now that main competition has shown their cards.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Here's the official numbers at the reveal.

bythenumbers.jpg
Nice I thought i saw that somewhere!
This confirms the heaviest CT has the same payload and is the upper limit of what CT can handle.

So that also means then that if they use the same suspension, brake and wheel setup, which I expect they will, the DM can proably handle another 500pounds more than the TM and the SM about 400pounds more than the DM.

The brakes are the only easily changeable part so maybe a bit less if they decide to have different ones.

So maybe then:
  1. SM 4200lb
  2. DM 3900lb
  3. TM 3500lb
These might not be advertised as such, but will likely be the "overload" range if they are all manufactured equally.

(Not saying you should do it, just thinking how it is)

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Just to make sure I am reading you correctly, are you saying that even though the cast, frame and shock design may be the same across trims, and there may be over 1000 Ib weight difference between them, Tesla would recommend the same “acceptable” payload of 3500 lb? And we could overload CT1 by 1000 Ib more than CT3?
Yes. but I would let someone wealthier than me test those limitations. I can see nothing worse than blowing an air bag, collateral damages, and having to unload over two tons of material on the side of the road just so the tow vehicle can take your CT1 to a repair center.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
At one time, but not for at least the last 15+ years or so.
Good to know. I still wouldn't buy a new truck for these prices when I have never seen a newer version haul as much as mine with their short beds, pretty paint jobs, and jacked up suspensions. I see a lot more trailers though.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
At one time, but not for at least the last 15+ years or so.
Let me clarify 1000 pounds is 1/2 ton and 1500 pounds is 3/4 ton because 2000 pounds is 1 ton. This is not the same as a F150 or a D1500 or a Chevy 1500. I was just stating the pounds vs ton comparison.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If Tesla can deliver a good ride with that kind of capacity, it’s going to be hugely popular as a work truck. Most 3/4 trucks drive like crap.

I think reviewers are overlooking the value of the air suspension. It is a massive advantage.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
Concrete is illegal but quads are OK.
Concrete is only illegal if it is an unsecured load. The track officials hate oil spills from blown engines! I would hate to see their faces if you spread concrete and aggregate across their lane!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
The Plaid is the trimotor drivetrain, not the carbon-wrapped rotor motor.

-Crissa
Not sure what you mean.

The model S Plaid trimotor drivetrain most definitely has carbon wrapped motors.

The CT will very likely have the exact same with different gears, to make the most of the CRIMs production line.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not sure what you mean.
'Plaid' = drivetrain
drivetrain ≠ motor

'Plaid' is the drivetrain, which contains carbon-wrapped motors. Not 'plaid motors'. A single carbon wrapped motor is a single carbon wrapped motor, not 'Plaid'. Plaid is the tri-motor configuration specifically.

One-third of a Plaid is not Plaid.

-Crissa
Sponsored