Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Those things should be hinged at the bottom and have solar panels on the backside.
They said there might be an uptown for solar “wings”. Seems like the pillars would be the place to store them.

the problem with hinging down is the door is more in the way then.
Sponsored

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
I will use the frunk to put all the stuff I currently have behind the back seat of my truck (tie downs, recovery straps, socket set, small tool bag, hi Viz vest, a jacket...) and the stuff in my toolbox that I have strapped in the bed (a few more tools, shackles, 12v air compressor, wheel chock).
Basically, it's stuff I rarely use, but want to have on hand when needed. Currently whenever I have large items or lumber to put in the bed, I have to unstrap the toolbox and put it in the cab.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Ford frunk lid adds no additional aero cross section. A blunt front works well at low air velocities and is why the CT works too. The tapered rear makes more of a difference for drag.
I’m not buying it.

The Ford frunk Has a lot more surface area which is one of the first things you ditch to reduce drag. More frontal surface area which is the worst, but because of the stair step shape, total surface area is quite a bit higher.

The tapered rear does make a bigger difference, but there is definitely some loss up front.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
OK, OK, OK, you've all made great points, changed my mind, and I will be using the frunk. [Tie-down, hi-vis vest, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, probably my go bag, and that rain poncho kit that is still in the wrapper.]

Not to change the topic exactly but what's the story with a winch?? I imagine Tesla might be able to cook up a system that works from the frunk but that just seems like engineering weirdness. So yeah... maybe a winch in the frunk too.

Damn, this frunk is getting valuable, I want a nice one now.

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I’m not buying it.

The Ford frunk Has a lot more surface area which is one of the first things you ditch to reduce drag. More frontal surface area which is the worst, but because of the stair step shape, total surface area is quite a bit higher.

The tapered rear does make a bigger difference, but there is definitely some loss up front.
I wrote this in another thread explaining why if you're interested:

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/any-updates.3293/post-55628

Basically the length of the vehicle or hood is not relevant to aerodynamics at car velocities. Because there is not much skin resistance at those low speeds, unlike a Blackbird at much higher speeds where it causes the wings to heat up. The dominant factors are total width x height = cross sectional frontal area of the vehicle and Cd which is the drag coefficient that incorporates how the airflow flows accross the shape.

The total frontal area cross section of each vehicle is not increased by the bonnet size, because at the roof apex its always bigger on both vehicles. So you could make the CT or Ford into a van if you wanted too, with the windscreen up front (in fact the CT does this more than the Ford) or put it all the way back, and you would not change the front sectional area of either. Things at car speeds don't need to be pointy to be aerodynamic. Take Tesla semi as an example.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The Lightning Frunk is wider and taller than the Cybertruck's. Wider means more frontal area. Taller ruins the aerodynamics.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not to change the topic exactly but what's the story with a winch?? I imagine Tesla might be able to cook up a system that works from the frunk but that just seems like engineering weirdness. So yeah... maybe a winch in the frunk too.

Damn, this frunk is getting valuable, I want a nice one now.
No word on winches. A frunk mounted winch would be pretty cool. Just have to add a slot for the cable to feed out the front. Another possible stealth location, under the floor of the bed.

I always thought people who got winches wanted them outside of the vehicle so they could illustrate their off-road cred when they are driving around town. If you had a winch in your frunk, nobody would know you have a bad-ass winch-capable off-roader. It’s right up there with brush guards, Jerry cans, and giant over-sized jacks for properly establishing offroad cred.

Last edited:

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
So you use the frunk (autocorrect if you put something else there again I'm going throw you across the room) because it's a compact compartment. I get that.

What I don't get is why you think anyone would "just pile everything into the bed". Hell, you even use a toolbox as an example because containers make sense. I was talking about tailgating and construction. Sure, groceries could go in the frunk (ha, fu autocorrect got you that time) but are you getting a CT as your grocery getter when you have a Y? Maybe we're just looking at this differently. I don't think I've personally used our frunk on the 3 ever and my wife has used it on a couple of road trips in the last year and a half.

Different strokes for different folks I guess
I always use the frunk! But , I use it for when I pick up take out food cuz it’s separate from inside the cab. Also, i use it for picnics with my wife to Pacifica and Half Moon Bay and down and up highway 1. Basket and things fit beautifully up in the frunk. Hot foods and smells stay there. I don’t see how it’s not useful. To us, it’s very much useful. Maybe, there has not been many people who understand how to use the frunk. I’ve driven many VW’s in my life time, maybe this is why it come naturally to me, but, the frunk is and will always be useful. I also use it for a very special tool. Cordless digital inflator. I’m a freak on proper tire inflation. ? anyways, I will use the frunk in the CT like I do in my S and M3. I love it! Ty have a nice day.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So what are you wanting there instead of a frunk?
It’s a good sized space so lots of options.
  • Collapsing solar array Which folds out and covered the front of the truck and the windshield… keep the inside cool and collect that solar!
  • The equivalent of a roomba but for my truck. Polishes the steel, vacuums the inside.
  • Pop up machine gun turret
  • High Powered laser
  • Rocket Launcher
  • Cab deployable drone
  • Frunk Money