Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla's reason for a different wiper was energy efficiency. All friction points reduce efficiency, not just the friction of the wiper on the glass, but all the mechanical contact points cause minimal battery drain when active.

I'm not sure what the balance point or cost of return point is for the more efficient magnetic wipers but when that parity is reached, that's when we'll see them.
It’s all a huge balancing act. Right now I think they are likely in cost cutting mode, but if it impacts range significantly, that adds other kinds of costs.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Going through all the comments about the look possibly changing some.. I just want to ask.. Based on the initial look of the Cybertruck.. does anyone actually think Tesla cares about whether or not people like the way it looks?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Going through all the comments about the look possibly changing some.. I just want to ask.. Based on the initial look of the Cybertruck.. does anyone actually think Tesla cares about whether or not people like the way it looks?
I’ve said it before but bears repeating.

I like the look of the Cybertruck because of what it represents. They have carved away all of the nonsense and left the essentials behind. The truck is the way it is not to please someone’s eye, but to serve a function.

To me, there is beauty in that concept.

Last edited:

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
The one "good" thing (if indeed the front is stumpier): you will be able to see objects much closer to the front of the vehicle (children, pets) than you would have with the frunk angle of the prototype. I admit, I do use the frunk of the S quite a bit (even though in the 85D, it is much smaller than the single motor version). Many of the new trucks from the Big 3 are so damn tall that they have to put a camera on the grill just to give the driver visibility into what is within 6+ feet of the front of the vehicle. One of my neighbors has run over/killed 2 of his dogs with their Tahoe in the last few years, so it is definitely an issue.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The one "good" thing (if indeed the front is stumpier): you will be able to see objects much closer to the front of the vehicle (children, pets) than you would have with the frunk angle of the prototype. I admit, I do use the frunk of the S quite a bit (even though in the 85D, it is much smaller than the single motor version). Many of the new trucks from the Big 3 are so damn tall that they have to put a camera on the grill just to give the driver visibility into what is within 6+ feet of the front of the vehicle. One of my neighbors has run over/killed 2 of his dogs with their Tahoe in the last few years, so it is definitely an issue.
Yeah, this is one of my gripes about Ford here. They had a chance to make the truck safer and instead they pushed to retain their old appearance and put a giant box on the front. I hope GM doesn’t follow suit, GMs current trucks are absolutely terrible about this.

Also… 2 Dogs? One wasn’t enough?

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Same truck with side mirrors IMO.
CT.png
It would seem that the mirrors could be replaced with relatively flush cameras when legal. M3, too. Kinda streamlined tag warts. Mirrors are something my niece is good at removing while underway!

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
I like safety! But the low angle of the CT front end would already provide a great front end close view, especially compared to any OEM pickups. More concerned about the A pillar obstructions

Ratso

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
75 Monte carlo, 74 K5 Blazer, 85 Chevy van, 89 Pontiac 6000, 2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2008 Chevy Silverado, and my last car will be Cybertruck tried motor.
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Maybe someday we can get a picture that doesn't look like it was taken by NASAs hubble telescope (before NASA repaired it of course).
As for me I'm a little nervous about the different looking hood/front. As I quoted Han Solo before "it may not look like much kid but it's got it where it counts" but that only goes so far for me.
If I can't stomach the change I feel like the wife will get her cabin in VT a little earlier then expected. I hope it's just bad pictures.

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
2 Hours West of Fremont by boat or aircraft? Because that’s in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in international waters.

Castle Airfield is about 5 miles north of Merced in the Central Valley. It is about 2 hours drive **South East** if you leave Fremont at midnight. Otherwise it takes you 2 hours to get to Tracy, ~20 minutes cutting through Manteca (wave at Tesla Lathrop and the new Mega factory on your way through), then another ~60 minutes south on 99 to get to the airfield from there.

Sorry to be location pedantic, lived in the Central Valley way too long I guess.
Good point, where the heck?

CTBags

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
DoD
Country flag
Hard to say for sure given the shadow and low res available for this render but the windshield seems pretty flush with the frunk "mouth", so extending the windshield would at the very least reduce the opening (if not the overall volume available).

imgj_1574790480.jpg
Curious everyone is so concerned with Frunk when you will have that glorious vault. I rarely even open the frunk on my Model 3.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
does anyone actually think Tesla cares about whether or not people like the way it looks?

The truck is the way it is not to please someone’s eye, but to serve a function.

The angular design is, to some at least, aesthetically pleasing. If not at first given some time it grows more appealing.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
The angular design is, to some at least, aesthetically pleasing. If not at first given some time it grows more appealing.
Oh, dont get me wrong. I LOVE the design. From the moment it rolled onto the stage I was grabbing for my wallet haha.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Yeah, this is one of my gripes about Ford here. They had a chance to make the truck safer and instead they pushed to retain their old appearance and put a giant box on the front. I hope GM doesn’t follow suit, GMs current trucks are absolutely terrible about this.

Also… 2 Dogs? One wasn’t enough?
His wife definitely thought so!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I assume they would need at least 2 Gigapress machines to achieve volume CT production.
If they ordered 2 then they are probably both being made at the same time when they come up in the production queue. Since the 8K ton press will be the new flagship i wouldn't be surprised to see IDRA put extra effort into it. Just a guess of course.
Sponsored