HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think I have a solution for mounting my iPad Mini inside the CT for off-road navigation using Gaia GPS, OnX, etc. It's a telescoping mount from Arkon. It's anchored to the A-pillar window with a suction cup. The 18" telescoping bar rests on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It seems stable enough, but needs to be tested on a rough trail.

I may have to use Velcro to attach the iPad to the plate if I want it mounted in landscape orientation.

Arkon Mount.jpg
That doesn't look like it would be ideal for rough trails. At a minimum, it's going to come off from time to time.
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That doesn't look like it would be ideal for rough trails. At a minimum, it's going to come off from time to time.
I use a combination of Quad Lock and Ram Ball Mount - works on motorcycles (on and off road), mountain bikes, vehicles...never fails / falls off

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
That remains to be seen. If so, it could be strapped down to the dash to minimize stress on the suction cup.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Solar backup is definitely an option, for those who think they might need it. I didn't suggest it would compete with a propane generator, I said the trip plan could be to not need additional charge to complete the trip but that solar panels could be used as a failsafe, to ensure you didn't need to get rescued in the backcountry. 1000 watts worth of panels is more than enough, assuming a sunny climate and no need to get back to work immediately. I suggest the frameless flexible ones that can be easily stacked. When they are not needed to self-rescue, they can be used for camp lighting, espresso drinks, to keep devices charged, etc.

The Cybertruck's phantom drain will decrease with future software updates, just as other Tesla have, so I'm calculating the phantom drain as being about the same as the Model Y, maybe 20% more (but I can't imagine why). I wouldn't use this strategy in the middle of winter but in mild/warm/hot weather it work fine.

I would feel more comfortable planning my trip with lower margins, particularly as I'm headed back to civilization, if I knew I had a backup plan that didn't involve backcountry rescue.
1,000 watt panels, if you were getting full power for 8 hours a day (which isn't common) is 8kWh.
Ignoring a lot of reality.

That's about 2/3 than a 120V 15A circuit, which is about 3 mph, so maybe 2 mph added.

The math is pretty simple, the implementation is a lot more problematic.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
1,000 watt panels, if you were getting full power for 8 hours a day (which isn't common) is 8kWh.
Ignoring a lot of reality.

That's about 2/3 than a 120V 15A circuit, which is about 3 mph, so maybe 2 mph added.

The math is pretty simple, the implementation is a lot more problematic.
No, it will work fine as emergency backup to prevent draining to zero and requiring an expensive rescue. Which is how I presented it. I've charged my Model 3 on portable solar panels and a battery generator too. Yes, it's slow, no, it's not ignoring reality. I'm sorry, but you have no clue what you are talking about. Whether most people need this, or whether it's worth the cost, is another matter.

Simply having a fully charged 2 kWh battery generator can add a bit of range, adding 1000 watts of solar panels will allow the Cybertruck to build a little range each day you are boondocking. I'm not going to do this (but I wouldn't bring a propane generator either). My strategy is to plan trips that are within the native range of the Cybertruck. 318 miles of EPA range can go a long way when used judiciously and driven efficiently on hard surfaces at speeds below 25 mph where aero doesn't play much of a roll.

Two mph charging speed is a LOT when your trip planning only left you 4-8 miles short of getting back to grid power! Where I travel in the North Cascades, the return to grid power is always mostly downhill, the powerlines run along the valley floor. So, if the battery dies before you can get out, you might just need enough juice added to make it up a couple of rises of only 1/4 mile or so. Then you can regen the rest of the way down. If 1000 watts of solar panels can't get you out of the backcountry, and you have some sunshine, then you made some MAJOR trip planning errors!

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
No, it will work fine as emergency backup to prevent draining to zero and requiring an expensive rescue. Which is how I presented it. I've charged my Model 3 on portable solar panels and a battery generator too. Yes, it's slow, no, it's not ignoring reality. I'm sorry, but you have no clue what you are talking about. Whether most people need this, or whether it's worth the cost, is another matter.

Simply having a fully charged 2 kWh battery generator can add a bit of range, adding 1000 watts of solar panels will allow the Cybertruck to build a little range each day you are boondocking. I'm not going to do this (but I wouldn't bring a propane generator either). My strategy is to plan trips that are within the native range of the Cybertruck. 318 miles of EPA range can go a long way when used judiciously and driven efficiently on hard surfaces at speeds below 25 mph where aero doesn't play much of a roll.

Two mph charging speed is a LOT when your trip planning only left you 4-8 miles short of getting back to grid power! Where I travel in the North Cascades, the return to grid power is always mostly downhill, the powerlines run along the valley floor. So, if the battery dies before you can get out, you might just need enough juice added to make it up a couple of rises of only 1/4 mile or so. Then you can regen the rest of the way down. If 1000 watts of solar panels can't get you out of the backcountry, and you have some sunshine, then you made some MAJOR trip planning errors!
If your trip planning left you 4-8 miles short, you really shouldn't be trip planning.
A 2kWh battery will add only slightly more than about 3 miles, probably less. (the power required to keep the truck awake while charging is going to be a significant player.

I'd be surprised that you 2kW solar array and battery will even keep Starlink alive 24x7.

You tend to sound like one of those who carries their trusty phones into the mountains and follows the trail until they get lost od have an accident and then realize they have no cellular coverage.

If you are only 4 miles short of civilization, it would probably be much easier and quicker to hike out, and to get someone to bring you a generator and gas.
One reason is because I doubt if you are going to run out of power ay 8AM, more like 6PM and you then basically have to wait for the sun and 8 hours of it.

1711742127150-08.png

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If your trip planning left you 4-8 miles short, you really shouldn't be trip planning.
A 2kWh battery will add only slightly more than about 3 miles, probably less. (the power required to keep the truck awake while charging is going to be a significant player.

I'd be surprised that you 2kW solar array and battery will even keep Starlink alive 24x7.

You tend to sound like one of those who carries their trusty phones into the mountains and follows the trail until they get lost od have an accident and then realize they have no cellular coverage.

If you are only 4 miles short of civilization, it would probably be much easier and quicker to hike out, and to get someone to bring you a generator and gas.
One reason is because I doubt if you are going to run out of power ay 8AM, more like 6PM and you then basically have to wait for the sun and 8 hours of it.
You still don't get it. This is for multiple day trips boondocking. Have you ever even charged a Tesla with portable solar and a battery generator? I have with a 200 Watt panel. Yes, it's slow, that's why I recommend 1000 watts, no I would not rather hike out and try to find someone with a generator to help me. It might be 20 miles with enough downhill to make it with only 4 miles of rated range. You simply don't know what you're talking about.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

You've made some good points, and I don't disagree. I would only add that every off-road trip is different and must be planned carefully to make sure that the chances of being stranded with a depleted battery are minimized.

One consideration is that range can be substantially reduced depending on the nature of the road or trail that you're traveling on. It's not always possible to predict how much, especially for someone like me who is inexperienced in off-roading.

Range anxiety can be lessened by having fallback options. An overland trip may require supplemental charging off-grid on a particular leg of the journey. That's where a dual-fuel generator can be the best way to provide extra miles in a relatively short time. Gasoline is also more readily available than propane. Most vehicles in a caravan are internal combustion and carry extra fuel (gasoline).

A solar generator is another option, as you say. I've looked into it. The cost is significantly more than a dual-fuel generator + propane. A solar generator with a 6kWh battery and 1000W of solar panels also weighs more.

The disadvantage of a propane generator is the noise factor. In a group setting, it cannot be used while people sleep. But running for just 4 hours a day @ 3300 watts will consume 12 lbs of propane and add 12 kWh to the battery. That's 24 miles of range @ 500Wh/mile. The total transport weight is 140 lbs (generator + 20 lb propane bottle).

The numbers compelled me to go with a dual-fuel generator + propane with gasoline as a fallback. Solar was a distant third.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I've been in SE Montana and left a small town but within 5 miles I lost my Tesla navigation. I was going to make a 1-2 hour loop that I had setup in my Nav. I was several turns in when I lost my Tesla navigation. Took me longer than that 1-2 hours to get back :)

I think they fixed phone BT connectivity tech now (diff BT tech??) because at some point I thought your phone needed cellular connectivity to unlock your car using your phone. Not great if you are on an adventure.

Not a great adventure vehicle if this happens in the Cybertruck. They should have thought of this. Things like Android phones and Google maps allow you to download a section of the map that you know that you will be at in case you don't have cellular. Seems like an oversight if Tesla does not have that.
Out of Spec testing ... related to Tesla requiring constant connectivity.

YNPxyL4.jpg

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C

1711742127150-08.png
You actually sound like someone who sits on the couch and complains about shit others do. Again while you don't do anything on the couch. Maybe listen a bit.

Actually I am going to local kindergarten classes after break and going to ask teachers to work on it. Seems very lacking these days.

Listening 👂 and reading slowly before typing.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You still don't get it. This is for multiple day trips boondocking. Have you ever even charged a Tesla with portable solar and a battery generator? I have with a 200 Watt panel. Yes, it's slow, that's why I recommend 1000 watts, no I would not rather hike out and try to find someone with a generator to help me. It might be 20 miles with enough downhill to make it with only 4 miles of rated range. You simply don't know what you're talking about.
Oh, so you planned on a trip that was just 4-8 miles short.
Might as well assume that it is going to rain and not carry any water either.

I don't think that you get it.

My Model 3 is plugged into 120V 15A (1440W) right now. I'm quite familiar with how much charge I get in a 12 hour period. That's 5 mph once the vehicle has gone to sleep.

I haven't done it in a Cybertruck though, but I'm seeing and expecting numbers like 3 mph at 120V 15A for the Cybertruck.

Take that down to 1,000W and you are at 2 mph (but it probably want be that high because of other factors) and you can expect about 5 hours of full sun. So that's 10 miles per day in the full sunlight.

If you are in for a week, and you aren't going to be using the solar for any other purpose, you may get enough to make a difference. But there are lots of dominoes that have to stay standing.

People just don't seem to get how little solar puts out and the enormity of cells required to do anything. And then the amount of power that a vehicle uses in comparison to the biggest loads in your house.

And this doesn't even take into consideration how to get the power into the truck. You can't just hook the panels to the truck. You can't even just use an inverter and do it.

You've got a Model 3, go hook up your solution to it and tell me how many miles you can get in a day, if any.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have 1200w solar and 4.4kw battery on my RV, and for me personally, no way I'd use similar to charge an EV - would be way too long / useless IMHO. Don't get me wrong, in a pinch I'll plug my CT into my RV (probably running the generator), but won't expect much and not carrying all the solar stuff in the CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The disadvantage of a propane generator is the noise factor. In a group setting, it cannot be used while people sleep. But running for just 4 hours a day @ 3300 watts will consume 12 lbs of propane and add 12 kWh to the battery. That's 24 miles of range @ 500Wh/mile. The total transport weight is 140 lbs (generator + 20 lb propane bottle).
...I really think you guys are underestimating the fuel consumption of an idling generator.

I run mine at 3-4.5 kW and I'll freeze up the tanks if it's too humid or cold; I get only about six hours on a tank that way, but I have to baby that last two hours sometimes.

Btw: +2mph * hours sunlight is > -[3...15] miles per day of not charging.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think I have a solution for mounting my iPad Mini inside the CT for off-road navigation using Gaia GPS, OnX, etc. It's a telescoping mount from Arkon. It's anchored to the A-pillar window with a suction cup. The 18" telescoping bar rests on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. It seems stable enough, but needs to be tested on a rough trail.

I may have to use Velcro to attach the iPad to the plate if I want it mounted in landscape orientation.

Arkon Mount.jpg
And here it is with the iPad Mini placed in the mount. I used Velcro to hold it in place.

iPad Mini Mounted.jpg

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One consideration is that range can be substantially reduced depending on the nature of the road or trail that you're traveling on. It's not always possible to predict how much, especially for someone like me who is inexperienced in off-roading.
I agree, without knowing the trail conditions ahead of time, the range could be hard to predict, even once you gain experience. That's why I recommend solar over propane or gas. Because once your fuel is gone, it's gone. I wouldn't want to beg gas off other over-landers on the simple principle that if they knew they wouldn't need extra gas, they wouldn't have brought extra gas. I suppose you could always get lucky and find someone whose trip was almost over and who still had plenty of reserves, but that's not being very self-sufficient.

On the other hand, solar can continue to recharge as long as you have the time to camp. You could go indefinitely, with solar, as long as you weren't trying to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time. I assume you are out there to camp and hike or bike and enjoy the area.

A solar generator is another option, as you say. I've looked into it. The cost is significantly more than a dual-fuel generator + propane. A solar generator with a 6kWh battery and 1000W of solar panels also weighs more.
Maybe you didn't understand my recommendation, it was to have a 2 kWh solar battery "generator" and you wouldn't even need that much if you could find one with a high enough solar input capacity. The idea is the battery is just a buffer between the panels and your mobile charger, there is no point in carrying 6 kWh of batteries everywhere you go! As one example, a 2 kWh Jackery Pro solar generator only weighs 43 lbs. and can handle up to 1200 watts of solar input. I suggest 5 or 6 200 watt SolarSaga panels, 1000 watts worth would weigh a total of 70 lbs.

Jackery Solar Generator 2000 Pro

So, your emergency charging solution would total around 120 lbs, including wires, and need no fuel. And it wouldn't disrupt others. I would estimate on a sunny day you could add at least 4 kWh per day, which is over 10 EPA miles per day. If you are in the high country, and on hard surfaces traveling at only 20 mph, you could cover some serious distance on that.

Here's something no one thinks about. You calculate the average energy consumption of a route based, in part, upon starting and ending elevations. But if you have a long descent out, you could run out of juice right before you get out of a "hole". If you're running low in the mountains, you might just need to clear one small pass before you have a long descent, long enough to regen your battery as you descend a considerable amount. So, by adding only enough energy to get to the top of that pass, your range could be extended by 20 or 30 miles.

That noise (and maintenance), and the fact that when your fuel is gone, it's gone, is why I absolutely would not bring a generator with me (and why I would be more than willing to pay the much higher price of solar). But to each their own.

The numbers compelled me to go with a dual-fuel generator + propane with gasoline as a fallback. Solar was a distant third.
That's because you were using a giant 6 kWh battery! The battery is just a solar buffer, you only want a small one. The Jackery solution I used as an example above weighs less than your propane generator solution, including all the solar panels, even if it takes three sunny days to provide as much power as running the noise box all night long. I guess if you are not there to boondock, and you want to move camp every day, and you're willing to sleep with the generator cranking all night. Maybe that's your cup of tea, but I could never feel happy doing it like that.

Not trying to convince you, it's just that I wanted to point out the error of having such a big battery. That is a lot of unnecessary weight and expense, so it's no wonder the numbers came out in favor of what I would consider less flexible and less desirable solutions. The great thing about the solar solution (beside preserving the peace, keeping the air fresh and eliminating the need to buy fuel when resupplying), is that it can be a very handy power source around camp when you don't need it to add range, and it can do it without sucking range out of the Cybertruck or ruining the quietness for everyone within 2-3 miles (and without drawing potentially undesirable characters to find out whose camping with a generator).
Sponsored