A/T tires bad in snow? Diff locks not engaged? Or unrealistic expectations? (Cybertruck in snow video)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's basically: M+S tires are not necessarily snow-rated rubbers, since they're just rated on the grooves in the tread.

If you want true winter tires, look for the mountain peaks logo, not just M+S.

-Crissa

PS, I've read that many tires are skipping the M+S label even if they qualify because the three peaks snow certification is considered superior.
Sponsored

Last edited:

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
There are times where I which I lived in an area that I needed chains. There's only been once I can think of in 20 years where I could have even used chains.
I'm talking about the OPs situation not your confusingly vague boast. The below deep snow up hill.
Tesla Cybertruck A/T tires bad in snow?  Diff locks not engaged?  Or unrealistic expectations? (Cybertruck in snow video) g3ZHH5J

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm talking about the OPs situation not your confusingly vague boast. The below deep snow up hill.
g3ZHH5J.jpg
Yeah, that's going to suck no matter the tires. And we don't know if there's hard ice under there or not.

The problem with snow is that vastly different tires and traction devices will work or not work, depending upon what's under that snow.

Sometimes you want to float on top, but usually you want to cut down to the bottom. Sometimes spikes will grip into ice, but they'll bounce off pavement so...

-Crissa

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Yeah, that's going to suck no matter the tires. And we don't know if there's hard ice under there or not.

The problem with snow is that vastly different tires and traction devices will work or not work, depending upon what's under that snow.

Sometimes you want to float on top, but usually you want to cut down to the bottom. Sometimes spikes will grip into ice, but they'll bounce off pavement so...

-Crissa
I think the Tesla chains would give you the best chance statistically https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-20_-snow-chains

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Looks like 7-10" of snow there and a slight incline. The OEM tires are "triple peak" rated and it seems like it's light snow capable, but in that weather, I would have dedicated winter tires. I run all seasons during the warm months and snow tires during the winter on my Model X and snow traction is great. Ice can still be slippery, but no problems with deep snow and slush. When I get my Cybertruck, I'll probably use the OEM AT tires during the summer and separate snow tires for the winter. When the AT tires wear out, I'll replace them with all seasons if I can find them.
Winter tires are a good idea as I've never found All-Terrain tires, even ones with the "triple peak" mountain snowflake, to be any good in the snow and ice. We have almost new Goodyear Wrangler A/T with the "triple peak" snow rating on our F-150 4x4 with limited slip differentials and the tread is deep and manly looking.

The truck is a real dog in the snow and the A/T tires do it no favors even though the tread pattern looks like it would be good in the snow. We bought the tires to deal with mud, clay and gravel, not snow. I was in snow last spring that looked to be of a similar type of snow to that in the video and, while I could get around in it in 4x4 mode, there were a lot of issues with off-camber spots, just like in that video. And the tires were almost brand new and had very deep lugs.

What most people don't realize is that most of a winter tire's performance on snow and ice is not due to deep lugs like an All-Terrain tire has, but to the special winter rubber compound. Deep lugs are not very helpful in the kind of snow pictured because the sheer strength of that kind of snow is almost non-existent. However, the little bit of sheer strenth that does is exist is best taken advantage of by many small tread edges, not deep coarse lugs like a typical All-Terrain tire has.

Has anyone looked into real winter tires for Cybertruck yet? It's a tall order to make a good winter tire deal with that much weight and torque and return reasonable tread life while still having a soft enough rubber compound to perform reasonably on snow and ice without chunking.

You're smart to be thinking of real winter tires, but I'm just not sure what's available that's suitable or that they will compare to the kind of snow and ice performance found on winter tires for lighter passenger cars.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's basically: M+S tires are not necessarily snow-rated rubbers, since they're just rated on the grooves in the tread.

If you want true winter tires, look for the mountain peaks logo, not just M+S.
Just to clarify:

All winter tires have the mountain peaks logo (that I am aware of).
Not all tires with the mountain peak logo are true winter tires.

A true winter tire can be ruined by driving a hundred miles on the highway on a sunny 80 degree day, particularly if your load is heavy and/or the air pressures are low. You won't be able to see visually that they are ruined, but they will never provide the great grip on snow and ice that they are known for once the rubber has been over-heated.

An All-Terrain tire, on the other hand, is meant for summer use. It might have the mountain peaks logo, but it will not be ruined by driving it on a warm sunny day (unless perhaps it is over-loaded and/or under-inflated). This is one reason why it's so important to ensure all your tires are well inflated for high-speed freeway driving.

Rubber compounds are not static things, they change composition through heating and cooling cycles and also due to oxidation. Winter tires that have been treated properly can be amazing things. The same tires can turn into dogs once they have been abused.

In short, the difference between a true winter tire and an A/T tire with the mountain peaks is that the former cannot be run in warm weather.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would plow or shovel the driveway before I would put chains on for one very good reason: once you have chains on there you are limited to 30 mph or below.

Chains suck unless there is no other way to get where you are going.
And you don't get the fuel economy of going slow. Your motor is just going to eat power like you're going twice as fast, chugging chains around.

Solid rains, snows are going to cause rolling resistance of 10-50% while chains may double it or more.

One of the few times I ran out of gas was because I drove all day on the freeway with chains on. It was cold and slushy and snowing all day. Chugga chugga chugga.

-Crissa

Like most of the other times, I ran out of gas in the driveway of the station I was aiming at, tho. Got into the bay using my starter motor.
Sponsored