A/T tires bad in snow? Diff locks not engaged? Or unrealistic expectations? (Cybertruck in snow video)

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Watching this video of another CT having difficulty in snow, one has to wonder how suitable the A/T tires it ships with are for use on snow.

Also, if the software still is not engaging the diff locks, that is not helping this situation.

Not sure what kind of ice might be under the snow, but this situation doesn't seem all that impossible for a 4x4 truck with the right tires.

Sponsored

Last edited:

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
For A/Ts, the stock Goodyear's have a really shallow tread pattern. I will definitely be replacing mine with KO2s (which are great snow tires in my experience).

MyKidCouldDrawThat

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No Tesla Yet
Country flag
For A/Ts, the stock Goodyear's have a really shallow tread pattern. I will definitely be replacing mine with KO2s (which are great snow tires in my experience).
I imagine even with the AT option they are still trying to compromise between efficiency, pressure, and grip. Putting an off road enthusiast level tire on is probably abysmal for range. Could be cool if they did some pop out ice studs built into the tire or wheel

Last edited:

Fleetwood75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model X, 2017 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Country flag
Makes me wonder if I should opt for regular road tires to maximize range during everyday driving and then buy a second set of aftermarket wheels with dedicated knobby tires for snow or trails.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Make sure one can fit chains on. I have KO2's on my 2500 Suburban, and can still fit chains on.
Sometimes it's not the tires, it's the situation and how you go about tackling it. ^Would be nice.
I have a feeling there is much more to come on the off road adjustability.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
Looks like 7-10" of snow there and a slight incline. The OEM tires are "triple peak" rated and it seems like it's light snow capable, but in that weather, I would have dedicated winter tires. I run all seasons during the warm months and snow tires during the winter on my Model X and snow traction is great. Ice can still be slippery, but no problems with deep snow and slush. When I get my Cybertruck, I'll probably use the OEM AT tires during the summer and separate snow tires for the winter. When the AT tires wear out, I'll replace them with all seasons if I can find them.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
That looks a lot more as if he hit a curb or solid place with the front wheels. Or the truck got into too deep of snow? Those spinning wheel just don't look like Tesla's traction control was in control.

One of the good and bad parts of a Tesla is that the bottom is a flat piece of hard plastic. It may have acted as a sled in this instance.

Just some thoughts.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Looks like 7-10" of snow there and a slight incline. The OEM tires are "triple peak" rated and it seems like it's light snow capable, but in that weather, I would have dedicated winter tires. I run all seasons during the warm months and snow tires during the winter on my Model X and snow traction is great. Ice can still be slippery, but no problems with deep snow and slush. When I get my Cybertruck, I'll probably use the OEM AT tires during the summer and separate snow tires for the winter. When the AT tires wear out, I'll replace them with all seasons if I can find them.
??
"Snow tires hold snow in the treads b/c snow sticks to snow.
Mud tires expel material."
??

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

jm2unbound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Country flag
Betting this was in Cali so that would be Seirra Cement. I lived in Mammoth and Tahoe for 15 years combined. Seirra Cement will bring any truck to its knees especially if the driver isn’t up to the task. Sierra snow is notoriously dense high water content preceded by rain so its total ice rink under the snow pack

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Snow dudes gonna need 2x sets of tires
I certainly appreciate the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV on my Model Y. Same with Hakka R3 on my (former) Model 3 and Volvo, and various snow tires on every other car I own.

Hard-core snow drivers might want a dedicated snow tire (none available in 285-65-20) or more aggresive (deeper) tread and/or softer rubber.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...geting-cybertruck-and-other-ev-pickups.11250/

Remember folks, the "3 Peak" tire symbol means "10% increase in acceleration over baseline tire" so it's not much of a standard to meet. More often, it is decelaration traction (turning, braking) we need.
Sponsored

Last edited: