MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Are 18” fitting because the offset helps clear the calipers?

or are 18” fitting because this owner is part of Cybertruck dev team and he’s comfortable making mods that many of us wouldn’t be?

that the other wheel company stated 18”s don’t fit causes me some confusion, as I’d expect such a wheel company to be happy to expand not constrict their possible offerings
They just don’t have 18s for sale +18 offset isnt super sketchy
Sponsored

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Look this up. The compound matters the most, correct. But given the same compound, narrower is better in snow and nice. Wider tires float and slip comparatively given the same weight and same compound. This is worse on icy roads than snowy in particular.

Edit: Not all mud tires make good snow tires. So wider mud tires can still be worse in snow than a more narrow road-oriented tire if the road oriented-tire is specifically designed for snow.

This may or may not be better than the stock compound but when you factor in the width increase the snow performance could be worse even if the mud performance is improved.

YMMV

Cheers

it depends on the type of snow.
Every truck in Iceland built for snow wheeling has balloon tires on it sometimes as wide as 28”

Teslarossa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model X Plaid, 2018 Model 3 Performance, etc
Occupation
EV conversions of Classic ICE vehicles
Country flag
This is going to be a fun couple of years watching lots of new CT’s get equipped with all kinds of wheels and tires by a lot of non-truck guys. The videos will be awesome of stuff working and probably a lot of fails. Same has been happening with ICE trucks for many years… we just get to see it all captured on smartphones and shared immediately. Can wait to see the first CT with those snow tracks. That will be amazing in the snow.

Nexus6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Chevy Colorado Bison, Chevy Suburban 2500
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Last edited:

XCeilidhX

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model S, awaiting CT RN112786958
Country flag
it depends on the type of snow.
Every truck in Iceland built for snow wheeling has balloon tires on it sometimes as wide as 28”
I would think that the strategy in overlanding above glaciers employed in this scenario would be taking the floating aspect to the extreme while retaining some form of traction which would of course be very different than trying to gain purchase under snow and ice via traction from the underlying pavement.

I'm thinking of the snow in places I can drive to in the USA, predominantly on roads, as most do. If I need tires to float across the ocean to Iceland I would guess they would have to be different for that special case scenario as well, right?

But if we focus on the most common scenario of snow icy highways and local roads with some off-roading thrown in within the non-detached continental USA (Alaska may be a different scenario, of course) that's what I'm trying to address.

I do realize that off-roading in snow exclusively may have some cases where the on-road strategy fails, of course, but for most that don't live off-grid in the boonies you have to drive over roads to get to the places where you are going to off-road in the first place so the on-road snow and ice performance is still relevant.

If you never traverse a road with your CT all Winter then you have a different scenario than most, I would think.

In that case, I'd probably go with converting to the tank-tread snow cat type of device:

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket 325 wide tires + 18" Method wheels installed on Cybertruck trackedplowtruck
Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket 325 wide tires + 18" Method wheels installed on Cybertruck Collins-Communications-Dominator-Tracks-Jeep-Cherokee-Remote-Tower-Service

T Sportline

Site Sponsor
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tsportline.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Cyberbeast, S Plaid, X Plaid, MYP, M3P
Occupation
Upgrading Tesla Cybertrucks!
Country flag
Gang, 18” wheel doesn’t bolt on without modification. That was the question we answered.

You’ve got to “remove and ditch” this component from the upright in order to make 18” fit….i suspect this owner did that. Btw, we wanted to confirm the purpose of this component and understand the consequence of removing it with our Tesla engineering contacts before broadcasting claiming it was okay to do. We were / are being responsible first, rather than presumptive. But yes, remove it and 18” doable.

The component is related to brake harmonics.

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket 325 wide tires + 18" Method wheels installed on Cybertruck IMG_4207

Here is that nub sticking through the barrel of an 18” (if left installed)

Tesla Cybertruck Aftermarket 325 wide tires + 18" Method wheels installed on Cybertruck IMG_4209

Last edited:

GhostAndSkater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Thanks for that, was wondering why there was this extra part, with threads and all that for "nothing"

Likely a revision will come latter that eliminates it, we've seen it before on other Tesla suspension parts

tedmoss

First Name
ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Right , God forbid an actual pick up truck might get a bit of dust on it? What the heck , this form is full of complete wet noodles , no wonder normal people make fun of Tesla owners, and the cyber truck crowd. Ewwwww lame Os. You guys seem like the people who would have a hot girlfriend and do nothing with her, but just comb her hair and paint her nails. (Or dude depending on ur preferences)
I think I'm a regular guy, I was a miner, 4 years in USAF, 8 years as a radio engineer, 8 years running the electric grid, 16 years as manager of the Ariz. Pwr. Auth., 23 years retired. Waiting for my Cybertruck. what do you expect me to do with it at 80 years old?

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
You’ve got to “remove and ditch” this component from the upright in order to make 18” fit….i suspect this owner did that.
this owner is a lead engineer on Cybertruck at Tesla

I’d guess they have some folks around who could make it happen

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Wrong.

The tire compound matters more. The tires we've seen on the CTs stuck in snow are not good tires, and the compound becomes too hard when they get cold. Not to mention the tread was not ideal and gets caked up with snow too easily.
No, not wrong.

Irrespective to the rubber compound, wider tires float more in the snow. Which means they also can slip more. If you're trying to stay on a road, the narrow tires bite down in and compact the snow more, giving you more access to a hard surface. It's why cross country skis are narrow and downhill are wide.

If you don't care about sliding around, and need to be atop powder, you spread out the weight into wide tires. But given slopes they're more likely to slip, as they don't compact the snow under them.

This is why ice racers use narrow and ATVs use wide and snowmobiles have narrow in the front and wide in the back.

-Crissa

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I can’t think of a better way to swing mud and gravel all over the side of your cyber truck. When will see this?
IMG_0551.jpeg
And no one will leave fingerprints on the metal.

calitruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Tundra Supercharged, Prev: 2007 Tacoma
Country flag
Apologize for my ignorance on this - but want to be clear on that diagram.

Where are the brake calipers in relation to that "nub". Is the nub BEHIND or IN FRONT of the break calipers? Or is it elsewhere?

I saw the Cybertruck in person once, and remember there being ample spacing (about 1.5-2"??) between the brake calipers and the oem 20" rims, which would mean an 18" would fit. I don't recall seeing a "nub" protruding anywhere past the calipers, but I also did not look hard enough.

If this "nub" is elsewhere, like closer to the plane of the upper control arm, simply increasing the offset of the wheel (like what the OP's image did) would avoid the nub, no?

Is your solidworks diagram using the OEM offset?

Thanks for sharing this regardless. Next time I check out the Cybertruck will take some photos and look for the nub.

Gang, 18” wheel doesn’t bolt on without modification. That was the question we answered.

You’ve got to “remove and ditch” this component from the upright in order to make 18” fit….i suspect this owner did that. Btw, we wanted to confirm the purpose of this component and understand the consequence of removing it with our Tesla engineering contacts before broadcasting claiming it was okay to do. We were / are being responsible first, rather than presumptive. But yes, remove it and 18” doable.

IMG_4207.png

Here is that nub sticking through the barrel of an 18” (if left installed)

IMG_4209.jpeg

Tedacules

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3
Country flag
From the owner:

I've currently got 325 wide mud terrain tires installed with an aggressive back spacing which is significantly less efficient than stock (but looks amazing) and have seen ~460wh/mi over the last 150 miles.

325 wide tires 18%22 method wheels aftermarket Cybertruck 1.jpg

Compared to factory Cybertruck A/T tires:

325 wide tires 18%22 method wheels aftermarket Cybertruck 2.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 9.10.18 AM.jpg
Come on lowrider people where you at!?!
Sponsored