firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
S&W .357 cal goes thru cast iron engine block.
Maybe but maybe not.

cast iron can be pretty tough.

How many PUBG Cast Iron skillets does it take to stop a bullet?
Oct 21, 2018
Edwin Sarkissian
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I have been wondering a couple things, mostly how hot the CT will get in direct sun all day. (Also just thought of will it elongate or do temps need to be higher for that?)

UPDATE
12x12inch plate in sun for about 3-4 HOURS @ about 85F outside temp...
stock finish getting to about 150F
mirrored seems to be almost always 10-15 degrees cooler than the stock finish
the black vynl covered is getting up to 163F
the white vynl is about 40F cooler than the back

Any thing else y'all would like to have tested?

Of course this is just for fun and a bit of info. we don't know the alloy or if its heat treated,or do we? Elon does say "ultra hard 30x steel"
I guess I'll get a hardened sample to test, depending on what I can find (Unless some1 wants to let me in on the secret Sauce. I wont tell)
7/21/2020 looks like its a 304L basically the same as what im testing (but still dont know if its hardened)

1st test is showing:
After 1 hour in direct sun, no wind ambient temp about 85F on 12x12" 304 stainless
Mirrored finish is 128F brushed finished #4 sitting at 138F

Using a better thermocouple/thermometer than the 1st test. ...

2nd test mirrored and flat finishes after all day in the sun ambient temp 78f very slight breeze.
Mirrored : measured under the plate with k type thermocouple taped to it. 120f
Flat : on top (facing sun) 130.1 f
Under 129.4 f

some1 asked about magnitism- Its basically non existant, super strong neodymium can barely hold itself on

20200724_134804.jpg

New surface temp test with vyln wrap tape type material on it. ( i figured painting wasnt really relevent.
Pic should be self explanatory but ill write the cliff notes here.

ambient temp about 80F
-White coolest 30-40F cooler than black
-mirrored next coolest
-unfinished surface 2nd hottest
-Black hottest

@ 10 minutes in sun: unfinished surface: 112.1F
Mirrored: 108.5F
Black vynl: 132.3F
White vynl: 101.8F

@30 minutes unfinished surface: 123.6F
Mirrored: 116.4F
Black vynl: 141.4F
White vynl: 112.1F

@50 minutes Unfinished: 124F
Mirrored: 120.7F
Black Vynl: 148.5F
White vynl: 108.3F

Ill do some 1 on 1 tests: 1 plate all black vs 1 plate all unfinished.
I think having the colors on 1 plate eventually (past 1 hour), started effecting the other temps. also will leave for 3+ hour to try an find a max temp

compiled white black mirrored surface ttemp test 7-25-2020.jpg

did a little tempering color test
I doubt that sample piece shown in the dent/scratch video is the same stuff being used in the Cybertruck (I believe it will be a product not available off the shelf.

Tesla hasn't told us what the exact alloy is other than #30x (probably custom) or the hardness grade. Even #304 cold-rolled stainless steel comes in 4 hardness grades depending upon how many passes through the high pressure rollers. There is 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, 3/4 hard and full hard.

So I don't think that video gives us an accurate view of how tough it's likely to be.

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
Depends on how fancy they want to get. They could end up having their own stainless foundry. They currently buy aluminum ingots from somewhere for their single piece castings and remelt them in the casting machine.

some kinds of stainless do not remelt very well (not sure why and I work at a stainless foundry.) This could be why they are going with Aluminum for the cybertruck underbody.

For the body, I think they plan on buying the specific alloy in sheet form and then shaping it in the gigafactory. They could run into quality issues from their suppliers, or maybe quantity issues. I could see them deciding to melt and form the metal themselves. If they did this they could probably then use Stainless for the single piece casting as well. This would probably require a specially made casting machine, as the alloy they plan on using probably has a pour temp of over 3000 degrees fahrenheit.

By no means am I a metallurgist, so there is probably something I don’t quite get about the challenges involved. Also not sure if the cost of the furnaces, lab equipment, rolling machines, etc would be worth the time savings.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Depends on how fancy they want to get. They could end up having their own stainless foundry. They currently buy aluminum ingots from somewhere for their single piece castings and remelt them in the casting machine.

some kinds of stainless do not remelt very well (not sure why and I work at a stainless foundry.) This could be why they are going with Aluminum for the cybertruck underbody.

For the body, I think they plan on buying the specific alloy in sheet form and then shaping it in the gigafactory. They could run into quality issues from their suppliers, or maybe quantity issues. I could see them deciding to melt and form the metal themselves. If they did this they could probably then use Stainless for the single piece casting as well. This would probably require a specially made casting machine, as the alloy they plan on using probably has a pour temp of over 3000 degrees Fahrenheit.

By no means am I a metallurgist, so there is probably something I don’t quite get about the challenges involved. Also not sure if the cost of the furnaces, lab equipment, rolling machines, etc would be worth the time savings.
----------------

Tesla is rumored to get Cybertruck steel from new $1.7 billion factory in Texas

Tesla supplier, Steel Dynamics Inc., is building a new plant in Sinton,TX (couple hours east of Austin) to supply stainless steel to Tesla (maybe SpaceX too).

For those doubting the eventual reality of Tesla's Cybertruck, this seems to be a step toward the inevitable.

Tesla Cybertruck’s steel supplier to begin operations at TX plant by Fall 2021: report
By Simon Alvarez
Posted on December 10, 2020
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-steel-exoskeleton-supplier-factory-details/

Steel Dynamics tops Q1 expectations, says Sinton plant remains on track to open this year
Chris Ramirez
Corpus Christi Caller Times
April 21 2021
https://www.caller.com/story/news/l...quarter-sinton-plant-opening-soon/7187749002/

Widest US stainless steel sheet rolling mill being built near Corpus Christi Texas and should improve on Starship production. Cyber truck contracts might lower wholesale costs for SpaceX
Ferrous85 to Operate 85-Inch Slitting Line at Sinton
By Metal Center News Staff on Feb 16, 2021
https://www.metalcenternews.com/edi...operate-85-inch-slitting-line-at-sinton/44243

Steel Dynamics Provides Strategic Growth Update Regarding its Flat Roll Steel Operations
FORT WAYNE, Ind., April 15, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Steel Dynamics, Inc. (NASDAQ/GS: STLD) provided a strategic update concerning its ongoing and new flat roll steel growth initiatives.
"We are incredibly excited about the progress being made at our Sinton Texas EAF Flat Roll Steel Mill," stated Mark D. Millett, President and Chief Executive Officer. "Sinton represents transformational growth for Steel Dynamics and long-term value creation for our teams, communities, customers, and investors. Given the success of our Sinton construction team, we are planning to add two additional value-added flat roll coating lines more quickly than originally planned. The site is yet to be determined but it will be located in the Southern U.S., to provide Sinton with similar diversification and higher-margin product capabilities as our Butler and Columbus Flat Roll Steel divisions.
https://ir.steeldynamics.com/profiles/investor/NewsPrint.asp?b=2197&ID=98646&m=rl&pop=1&G=681&Nav=0

----------------

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You do not get the point. What happened was not accidental and not a waste of time.
It is punishment. It is intimidation.

Your loss of time and financial losses are extra-judicial.
No courts, no judicial judge, no trial, no jury, no judicial judge considered sentence

The police are the law. judge , jury, execute punishment.

" 7 hours, they made me pay $575 for the tow fee"
You are lucky you did not have to start paying daily impound fees.

Now think of the impact of what happened to you when it happens to to someone working two jobs for total annual income of $15K.
Likely fired from both jobs (7 or more hours missed) and with likely not able to immediately pay $575 so now paying 30% interest fees and daily impound fess. No car to use to find other jobs.
Oh, I get the point about extrajudicial intimidation. And I am very well aware that even my being unemployed at the moment I am still incredibly privileged compared to many others who would be in similar circumstances more regularly than me. In my privilege I am able to reject the intimidation and experience the situation as a waste of my time.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
True, true.

Heaven forbid one ever gets asked to step out of their car for the cops. Happened to me just a few days ago. After I was out of the car, they seized my car, towed it, covered every access point with crazy evidence tape (you don’t ever want to get this tape on anything cause it’s crazy difficult to remove), got the drug dog to jump all over it and scratch up the paint, shuffled literally everything out of the car, stirred it together, then threw everything randomly back into the car. Then finally at the end of the search that took 7 hours, they made me pay $575 for the tow fee, me back my car, and sent me on my way. What a total waste of time, resources, and effort that was.

On a side note, anyone know the easiest way to remove evidence tape? I’ve been reading up and it’s NASTY stuff. I’m going to start trying to remove it tomorrow.
You can use two products, Goo Gone or Goop Off.
You can use 80% isopropyl alcohol or higher, but it isn’t as kind to paint on your car. Good luck.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
You can use two products, Goo Gone or Goop Off.
You can use 80% isopropyl alcohol or higher, but it isn’t as kind to paint on your car. Good luck.
I did manage to get them off. Before any chemical use though you have to remove the stickers. This I did very carefully with a small razor blade. Have to be very careful not to cause scratches. Once the sticker is off, the Goo Gone worked fine to get the remaining sticky gunk off.

Goo Gone on the sticker itself causes the color from the sticker (in my case intense red) to bleed out over everything. It was quite a mess.

After trying the Goo Gone on one location, the mess was bad enough that I just went to the razor blade for the rest of them. In the end it wasn’t impossible to accomplish. But getting the supplies, trying various tools, etc took a while with multiple trips to the store.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
A plastic blade is better than a metal one for removing stickers. So like a cheap spackle knife.

-Crissa
Yeah, Tried that first but the sticker was more stubborn than the plastic blades. Had to be really careful but the metal one generally stayed above the paint in the gummy layer. Had to go slow and easy to make it work.

This evidence tape stuff is really nasty stuff.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think they were black because the material was black, not emissivity per se being related to blackness. Also things can have colors we don't see, too. Just because something isn't bright in some spectra doesn't mean it's also not bright in others ^-^

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It pays to do a little reading before shooting off one's mouth (this means me, btw). The shuttle tiles are not ablative nor do they re-radiate the heat nor is the heat caused by friction. They simply insulate (well it's not simple).

Last edited:

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
I think they were black because the material was black, not emissivity per se being related to blackness. Also things can have colors we don't see, too. Just because something isn't bright in some spectra doesn't mean it's also not bright in others ^-^

-Crissa
I think that was technically true for the dark gray carbon carbon leading edges but the insulating part of the tiles were actually white. It was just the outer coating that was black.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
It pays to do a little reading before shooting off one's mouth (this means me, btw). The shuttle tiles are not ablative nor do they re-radiate the heat nor is the heat caused by friction. They simply insulate (well it's not simple).
Wait, the heat isn't caused by friction?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's basically friction.

...but technically it's that when you compress any material, it heats up. And the air is being so compressed at that speed that it turns into plasma.

The ablative tiles on the space shuttle are not heated by radiation but ...
You wrote what you're disagreeing with now, ajdelange.

-Crissa
Sponsored