Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
There’s been some discussion over the years about how hot the CT would be, both inside and out. Well the Merritt Isle. SC has another customer CT in the parking lot and I noticed that the sun’s reflection from the CT felt quite hot on my face. I then hesitantly put my hand on the hood and it was damn hot. I did the same to the black S parked next to it and it actually seemed hotter. But I knew that wouldn’t be good enough for this group so I went home and returned with my IR temp sensor and shot the temp of the panel perpendicular to the sun and replicated the same angle as best I could with black, MSM, and white Teslas parked nearby. Here are the results in degrees F:

CT = 106
Black = 144
MSM = 140
White = 107

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck stainless steel surface temperature vs. painted — MEASURED DATA IMG_9134

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck stainless steel surface temperature vs. painted — MEASURED DATA IMG_9136

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck stainless steel surface temperature vs. painted — MEASURED DATA IMG_9135

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck stainless steel surface temperature vs. painted — MEASURED DATA IMG_9138
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TickTock

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3; 2018 Model S; 2023 F-150 LIghtning
Country flag
I wonder what the emissivity factor for HFS is versus clearcoat. According to Fluke, it could be anywhere from 0.2 to 0.9 depending on the finish which will dramatically impact the accuracy of the reading. For this, I think it is probably best to use a contact/conduction type measurement.

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
There’s been some discussion over the years about how hot the CT would be, both inside and out. Well the Merritt Isle. SC has another customer CT in the parking lot and I noticed that the sun’s reflection from the CT felt quite hot on my face. I then hesitantly put my hand on the hood and it was damn hot. I did the same to the black S parked next to it and it actually seemed hotter. But I knew that wouldn’t be good enough for this group so I went home and returned with my IR temp sensor and shot the temp of the panel perpendicular to the sun and replicated the same angle as best I could with black, MSM, and white Teslas parked nearby. Here are the results in degrees F:
CT = 106
Black = 144
MSM = 140
White = 107

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg
Emissivity of reflective surfaces has to be calibrated to sensor.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
CT = 106
Black = 144
MSM = 140
White = 107

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg
Makes total sense. Cybertruck and white paint reflect heat away, which you could feel. Less heat to penetrate cab in theory but massive roof and windshield glass probably offset that. Anyone with a Cybertruck care to comment on interior temperatures vs exterior?

easytravelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D signature
Occupation
Hard money lender. real estate and crypto investor
Country flag

CT = 106
Black = 144
MSM = 140
White = 107

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg
Thank you for that effort. My initial thought was CT hotter. Great Job

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Logically, stainless steel is reflective.

Dark color will be absorptive of heat?

DrShah

First Name
Samir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag

CT = 106
Black = 144
MSM = 140
White = 107

IMG_9134.jpeg

IMG_9136.jpeg

IMG_9135.jpeg

IMG_9138.jpeg
My red Model Y gets super hot sitting outside in the Florida sun, i def need to measure it.
Sponsored