HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I’d think getting the temperature of tape-covered stainless would have its own measurement accuracy issues. I’m surprised folks aren’t suggesting an array of RTDs glued to the inside surface 🙄.
Tape works very well, just make sure you have a big enough target that your IR thermometer is not averaging in some of the reading from around the tape.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I wonder how hot a wrapped Matte Black Cybertruck would be?

OP
OP
Stuck4ger

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
Tape works very well, just make sure you have a big enough target that your IR thermometer is not averaging in some of the reading from around the tape.
If the tape is a different emissivity and obviously different absorption then wouldn’t the tape itself as well as the area beneath it be a different temperature than the bare metal you are thinking you are measuring?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If the tape is a different emissivity and obviously different absorption then wouldn’t the tape itself as well as the area beneath it be a different temperature than the bare metal you are thinking you are measuring?
...Yes, but: The metal will conduct the heat across it more widely than tape would really shade it.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Stuck4ger

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
...Yes, but: The metal will conduct the heat across it more widely than tape would really shade it.

-Crissa
I understand that but felt compelled to join the “that’s not accurate enough, look how smart I am crowd” 😎
Sponsored