Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
It is a LONG video, but worth the watch.

I HOPE that the curve can be fixed within the next week or two with software, because towards their summary of the CT charging you will hear the final verdicts of....

"This is the worst part of the cybertruck"
"this makes cybertruck a tough sell"

- Out of spec

Which, not gonna lie, really sucks. Was hoping that coming in with a very low state of charge, battery preconditioned etc could get better #s that the early ones we were seeing :(

Their quotes/buzzwords aside, all you have to do is look at the chart and see the rates between 30-80% to get depressed. Those %s are where most of the charging is done, as below 10% is risking getting stranded and above 90% is bad for the battery and SLOW
zimage7117.png
Being the worst part of an overall awesome truck might not necessarily be a terrible thing. But yea, the tough sell line is a hard pill to swallow.

For people who use superchargers a lot
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Being the worst part of an overall awesome truck might not necessarily be a terrible thing. But yea, the tough sell line is a hard pill to swallow.

For people who use superchargers a lot
Really had hoped the charging would be the saving grace for the low range of the CT.
But.............
"this makes cybertruck a tough sell" - Kyle Out of Spec Reviews
Who is a lot of times referred to as a Tesla shill or fanboy is...................tough :(

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Really had hoped the charging would be the saving grace for the low range of the CT.
But.............
Who is a lot of times referred to as a Tesla shill or fanboy is...................tough :(
I wouldn't call Kyle a Tesla Shill or fanboy. He's pretty even across the board to me.
Honestly probably gets less excited about tesla things then some of the other brands

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Thinking outside the box here, but...

maybe they're using a very conservative charge profile for their brand-new "Cybercell" chemistry until they get more field data?
Yea, thats what ive been saying.
Plus we need to see what the lower amp 800v charging looks like. Whenever that comes out

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn't call Kyle a Tesla Shill or fanboy. He's pretty even across the board to me.
Honestly probably gets less excited about tesla things then some of the other brands
100% I think Kyle is pretty fair in reviews and does not deserve the "shill" title or fanboy. Which is why him saying:
Is pretty depressing as far as the CT goes

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
100% I think Kyle is pretty fair in reviews and does not deserve the "shill" title or fanboy. Which is why him saying:
Is pretty depressing as far as the CT goes
Doesnt really seem that bad to me.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Charging Curve (Recorded by Owner) 1704992296425

Can someone keep a count of how many times giga uses that quote though?

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Compared to the other teslas. (Looks better then the y)
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Charging Curve (Recorded by Owner) 1704992648484

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Doesnt really seem that bad to me.
1704992296425.png

Can someone keep a count of how many times giga uses that quote though?
I mean we have been waiting on "good data" and "a quality review" for years/months/days or whenever you started your individual timer. Finally got one from someone fairly well respected in the industry. Unfortunately the results are bad, how bad?
Worse than the Rivian, which the CT was supposed to trounce in range/charging
Worse then the Hummer EV which is considered mostly a joke

Most people are not going to watch the 1+ hour video that out of spec put out.
Sooooooooooooo the TLDR is look at the curve on that chart, which frankly is disappointing for anyone considering a Cybertruck and take the TTLDR from Kyle at out of spec - "This is the worst part of the cybertruck" :(

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Charging Curve (Recorded by Owner) zimage7120

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I mean we have been waiting on "good data" and "a quality review" for years/months/days or whenever you started your individual timer. Finally got one from someone fairly well respected in the industry. Unfortunately the results are bad, how bad?
Worse than the Rivian, which the CT was supposed to trounce in range/charging
Worse then the Hummer EV which is considered mostly a joke

Most people are not going to watch the 1+ hour video that out of spec put out.
Sooooooooooooo the TLDR is look at the curve on that chart, which frankly is disappointing for anyone considering a Cybertruck and take the TTLDR from Kyle at out of spec - "This is the worst part of the cybertruck" :(

zimage7120.png
In the second graph section of the video. Ryan says the CT does better than R1T and lightning for the first 25 minutes of charging in terms of usable range added when considering 70mph consumption. And is basically tied with the hummer.

"This is going to be pretty solid and fairly competitive with the other vehicles, despite all the time we just spend bashing the curve." - Ryan at out of spec

Kyle even said that for his style of roadtripping, CT is good compared to the other EV trucks. Because he gets to chargers super low and only charges to like 40.

Here is the actual useful quote (Starts at 50:38)

"So ultimately, what I think we've learned is. Tesla has, umm, come in, mid pack, roughly, when it comes to the user experience of charging. However, I think the offset of the split pack nature, and interfacing really well on current superchargers, probably still makes it. the better road tripper then the other vehicles." - Kyle at Out of Spec

Last edited:

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In the second graph section of the video. Ryan says the CT does better than R1T and lightning for the first 25 minutes of charging in terms of usable range added when considering 70mph consumption. And is basically tied with the hummer.

"This is going to be pretty solid and fairly competitive with the other vehicles, despite all the time we just spend bashing the curve." - Ryan at out of spec

Kyle even said that for his style of roadtripping, CT is good compared to the other EV trucks. Because he gets to chargers super low and only charges to like 40.

Here is the actual useful quote (Starts at 50:38)

"So ultimately, what I think we've learned is. Tesla has, umm, come in, mid pack, roughly, when it comes to the user experience of charging. However, I think the offset of the split pack nature, and interfacing really well on current superchargers, probably still makes it. the better road tripper then the other vehicles." - Kyle at Out of Spec
The 0-30% charge rate is pretty good no doubt.
The problem is that no one should go to 0% so lets say you are brave and go to 5% in the winter
That gives you 25% of the battery capacity to get from one SC to another. AKA 50-65 miles to get from one super charger to another if just using.

So the CT does a good job charging from 5-30% giving you 50-65 miles to get to the next super charger.............which in a lot of the country is not really an option, especially if you want to not sit for 2 hours at a V2

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
The 0-30% charge rate is pretty good no doubt.
The problem is that no one should go to 0% so lets say you are brave and go to 5% in the winter
That gives you 25% of the battery capacity to get from one SC to another. AKA 50-65 miles to get from one super charger to another if just using.

So the CT does a good job charging from 5-30% giving you 50-65 miles to get to the next super charger.............which in a lot of the country is not really an option, especially if you want to not sit for 2 hours at a V2
What I learned is. If you are doing a cross country road trip, dont use an EV truck. (right now)
Sponsored