John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Had a flat driving to Vegas from LA. Flat third of the way, donut tire out on. Stopped within the next 10 miles, overpaid for a replacement tire, they had all the leverage. Went to Vegas, should have turned around due to losing my shirt that weekend.

Sometimes, flats are a sign to protect you.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
When was the last time you had a flat? For me, it's been at least a decade, maybe two.
Last spring I think? Was out in the middle of nowhere and had to change it myself too. Was only a couple years prior my wife got one as well.

We drive on forest roads a lot which takes itā€™s toll on tires.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I wasn't counting offroading. So I should have specified road trips, like the previous post suggested. I have damaged lots of tires off road. I wouldn't bother with a spare or run flats on roads.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I wasn't counting offroading. So I should have specified road trips, like the previous post suggested. I have damaged lots of tires off road. I wouldn't bother with a spare or run flats on roads.
Old school I would run tires until they had radials showing. Then, you betcha youā€™d see some flats.

With newer tires and having them rotated at the shop where the tires get replaced long before there are bald patches or wires sticking out through the rubber? Nah.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Young, dumb, and poor...yeah, different tire change interval. Now I know I'm changing them at well before they are done. I give the old ones to any of the tire guys who show interest, for poor young guy Jeep builds.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
When was the last time you had a flat? For me, it's been at least a decade, maybe two.
I have had tons of flats. I have been able to plug all of them with one being in questionable distance to sidewall. I have however had two Blowouts in less than 12 months. Having a full size spare specially in a truck that I could be towing with is a big deal to me. I donā€™t care about The cost of it in range. I canā€˜t fully enjoy taking a day trip with my sport car because it has no spare. I totally get people who have not gone over the edge and enjoy living on it. I am Just not one of them.

I think Tesla was messing with airless tires. Who knows may be an expensive one is being designed for CT in a deep dark lab somewhere.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Last time I got a flat was over 10 years ago. And I was dumb about it. Was out late with friends on a work night. On way home I heard ticking sound that varied with speed. Got home, found nail in tire. Was late, told myself I'd change it in the morning. Woke up late. Tire was low but still holding most of it's air. Instead of changing I just put more air in. All the way to work I could hear the tick-tick of the nail hitting the pavement. Until about 50 yards before my exit the ticking stopped. Then the low tire pressure light came on. Instead of changing tire on side of interstate I slowly drove on flat tire to my exit and changed it in a parking lot. I got lucky, no damage to rim and tire was patchable.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I canā€˜t fully enjoy taking a day trip with my sport car because it has no spare.
Sheesh, I get not wanting to live on the edge, but that's quite the extreme on being conservatively fearful.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Sheesh, I get not wanting to live on the edge, but that's quite the extreme on being conservatively fearful.
Not fully enjoying means I can enjoy it around 97%; 1% deduction for lack of spare, 1% lack of ground clearance and 1% lack of storage but you will be surprised what 97% can do ;) The question is if that 3% is worth a $70K Rivian or 2% for a $50K CT.

MikeF

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
@Old Spice, He's asking if there is a way to stop the tailgate from going lower than the bed of the cargo box, in essence to extend the box floor for items longer than 6.5 feet, like 4foot X 8foot sheets of plywood etc. Many pickup truck tailgates in the past used chains with hooks or steel strap flat hinges that stopped the tailgate at bed height. During the CT reveal, the tailgate was shown as having a built-in ramp and the tailgate drops below the bed for the ramp.

Last edited:

MaryKallemyn

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Country flag
Also another feature Elon mentioned was another varient of the Vault Door that was lined with Tesla Solarglass or solar panels that can recharge an estimated 15 kiles of range during daylight hours, perfect for going the little extra bit or keep the ac running or just keeping the battery from dropping slightly in the cold. And I think someone mentioned it, but also don't forget the Matte Black option. (Not my personal pick but still cool.) Anyone else have any thoughts or wishes about the color or what they'd choose?
I really want thin solar panels on the sliding roof!

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag