Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PY holding me over till TRI CT
Occupation
FlagstaffRentalCabin.com & TeslaRenter.com
Country flag
Does anything in these photos help or hurt the prospect of adding a SNOW PLOW to the front of the CT??

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Yes, that would be hillarious. Especially considering that Tesla never, ever even hinted it might have a mid-gate (along with all the other wonderful things they HAVE said it might have).

Just like I'm convinced it will have a fully equipped metal shop!
Cannot have conspiracy without misinformation.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
Does anything in these photos help or hurt the prospect of adding a SNOW PLOW to the front of the CT??
I don’t see any reasonable way to add anything but a very light duty homeowner style shovel and would still require sacrificing frunk access

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Ok. It is a ligit question. A loadpath, is the geometric path force is transferred through the structure to the point of reaction.

Alternatively, Google "structural loadpath" and get back to me.
The answer to how/if it can work… Honda Ridgeline. Unibody pickup with 4 corner independent suspension and no ladder frame, apart from not being an EV it’s the closest cousin to CT in that way. It’s renowned for its compliant ride and decent payload but low towing maximums. FWIW I also think the exoskeleton thing is a gimmick. You can’t send loads through the body panels they’re not static. The rigidity and Flex that traditional pickups use to achieve high towing and payload comes specifically from the body panels being independent of the load, not integrated.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The answer to how/if it can work… Honda Ridgeline. Unibody pickup with 4 corner independent suspension and no ladder frame, apart from not being an EV it’s the closest cousin to CT in that way.
but it’s sheet metal isn’t part of that ‘unibody’?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck frame in scrap yard shows no midgate and other details 1698584466714

@JBee’s prerogative is *also* that the Ridgeline is analogous

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The rigidity and Flex that traditional pickups use to achieve high towing and payload comes specifically from the body panels being independent of the load, not integrated.
To me this has always been a curiosity of the seemingly conflicting forum assertions on how ‘rigid’ the CT is bring the source of *greater* payload/towing

🤷🏻‍♂️

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
Highly Possible....
Upto 175 kWh pack could give the 'promised' 500 Mi range in the TRI or future QUAD (PLAID)
I got 500 miles out of 178 usable in my calculations but that was with a unrealistic curb weight of 5500 lbs, Cd of 0.3 and 25% regen.

Elon is the CEO of the company. That means "Chief Executive Officer"
I believe his current title is Technoking.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
To me this has always been a curiosity of the seemingly conflicting forum assertions on how ‘rigid’ the CT is bring the source of *greater* payload/towing

🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes it’s a conundrum to non-engineers, but pickups need both strength and flex in the frames, that’s part of the reason the box is separate from the cab on traditional trucks. Not saying a unibody truck doesn’t work, because again the Ridgeline does work, it’s just not heavy duty and its design is more for everyday drivability than hard work, which I think is CT’s target audience.

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
but it’s sheet metal isn’t part of that ‘unibody’?

1698584466714.jpeg

@JBee’s prerogative is *also* that the Ridgeline is analogous
No, the body panels on the ridgeline are not contributing to this structure in a significant way, 1/2 of them are plastic and aluminum. The structure is the unibody chassis itself, that’s why it doesn’t collapse when you open the doors for example.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

🤷🏻‍♂️
Aircraft bodies are notably flexible, and have serious amount of "flex". They also have a more structural skin.

A naked F150 ladder frame weighs about the same as the SS skin of the CT, but admittedly does more for it's structural load carrying capacity than the SS skin, in particular for load carrying and towing.

The answer to how/if it can work… Honda Ridgeline. Unibody pickup with 4 corner independent suspension and no ladder frame, apart from not being an EV it’s the closest cousin to CT in that way. It’s renowned for its compliant ride and decent payload but low towing maximums. FWIW I also think the exoskeleton thing is a gimmick. You can’t send loads through the body panels they’re not static. The rigidity and Flex that traditional pickups use to achieve high towing and payload comes specifically from the body panels being independent of the load, not integrated.
Unibody is a close cousin to the CT, but I think the casts give it a bit of differentiation. I don't have a problem with how a structure works as such, in the end a good design is the best possible compromise of various competing variables. In this case a cast is there to reduce part counts and improve integration at the lowest possible cost.

From what I can tell there isn't much in the mounting brackets that we can see on the CT rear fender skins to transfer load through them. I also don't think the skin will be foamed or glued onto the cast or cabin for ease of repairability, and to avoid thermal stresses. The aluminium cast also has a different thermal expansion rate than the SS, so attaching them is not a trivial task to make them load bearing, let alone for galvanic reasons.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I got 500 miles out of 178 usable in my calculations but that was with a unrealistic curb weight of 5500 lbs, Cd of 0.3 and 25% regen.

I believe his current title is Technoking.
Corporate officers have never been limited to one title. And, indeed, neither is Elon. His current, and longest-running, title is CEO. In fact, no other automaker has a CEO with as much tenure as Elon Musk.

Your curb weight is too light for a 500+ mile model, but please explain your "25% regen". That sounds like a lot of braking to me. Curb weight will generally have a smaller influence on real world range compared to how much regen braking there is. I think around 185 kWh of usable capacity is a good estimate for 500 miles of range.
Sponsored