Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
That's a good question about the Model S rear screen. I think right now it does very little - video games don't even work while the car is in motion.

But road trips with my family work like this:
I drive, using pre-set way points. I do most of the navigation.
My mother (or spouse, if no mom) deals with snacks and any phone calls. That helps dealing with hotel arrangements.
My sister always takes the safe-passenger-back-seat. She's a whiz at finding us cool places to stop, even getting us in at appointment-only wineries or things like fair-trade vegetarian food in the Poconos. Her search-fu abilities are amazing.
Spouse and sister always handle the music, too. Mostly because I would listen to Crystal Method the whole way while mom would listen to Left Coast 70s.

So yeah, having that back input would be smart. Dunno if I'd pay for it, though. Prolly not.

-Crissa
None of that stuff requires any interface with the vehicle. I would hate for the car computer to get bogged down by extraneous demands from a rear console. Same with Video games for the front. I am really glad they disabled them when moving and surprised it took so long.

Put a USB C connector in the back for power and let the 3rd party guys have a go at it.
I
Sponsored

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag
Those covers look futuristic, but I don't see any aerodynamic advantage. It is interesting that Tesla has probably partnered with a tire manufacturer. I would like more details on that.
Great point about specially designed tires. So when you need new tires, do you have to purchase these exact tires? Or will the Aero covers fit on other tires too?

I do believe that the Aero covers will save range, maybe 5% or so. Which over the life of the truck will be quite a bit.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
So I am fairly convinced the frunk opens with the lightbar and grill attached. It moves forward before lifting. This forward motion allows it to clear the wiper better and allows a very tight gap.

Screenshot_20220126-085839_Samsung Internet.jpg
Hate to say this but the early prototype had that same gap.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Photos Leaked! ? [Added: Video Showing Whole Truck -- Rear & Bed] CybMain

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Did anybody else notice the oil canning visible on the sail area in the video? It was visible from a very low angle when looking from the back of the truck to the front. I am not sure what gauge thickness this starts to happen or if it is possible with any cold rolled process.

This might lend some credence to the skin being different thickness in different areas.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
So I am fairly convinced the frunk opens with the lightbar and grill attached. It moves forward before lifting. This forward motion allows it to clear the wiper better and allows a very tight gap.

Screenshot_20220126-085839_Samsung Internet.jpg
Ok, be honest. Am I the only one who hit the "play" button in @Dids screen capture?
?‍♂

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am not sure what that seam is for, but the seam where the lower part of the lid where it meets the quarter panel is not evident. Unless their panel gaps are amazingly precise.
This is upscaled video. Not exactly high res.

I’m sure we’ll find out eventually. There was a professional photographer there who said Tesla hired him for a shoot. I’m hoping we’ll see a refreshed web site with a better rundown of details again.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
exactly how i have always felt.
so ridiculous that its awesome. likely mirrors the personalities of many that want it.
Yeah guys and gals.. your totally gonna get made fun of.. just cancel your orders now while you still can.
There are already stories out there mocking the new Cybertruck looks again.

It’s not a truck for thin skinned vain people.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hate to say this but the early prototype had that same gap.

CybMain.jpg
Not exactly. Notice right below the light bar the flat portion that the light sits on has a significant gap to the fender. The gap where the hood contacts the light bar is also much tighter on the alpha. In fact it is so tight that it is near impossible that they aligned the hood that well.

The light bar is also now a molded plastic light bar instead of a machined mock up which is nice to see.

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Those covers look futuristic, but I don't see any aerodynamic advantage. It is interesting that Tesla has probably partnered with a tire manufacturer. I would like more details on that.
Many auto manufacturers partner with tire companies to spec out their own custom tire requirements, especially for ev cars where there is a certain rolling resistance requirement. The prototype tire looked more beefy for sure but definitely was not the most efficient regarding range. 7 more hours! Need way more pics and videos inside and out!

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
There are already stories out there mocking the new Cybertruck looks again.

It’s not a truck for thin skinned vain people.
You'd better believe that auto companies, and many other companies in other industries, are doing "dark" PR. That's when they do things like, have a 10-40 person crew filled with people with NDAs who do nothing but comment negatively on competitors. Each having a quota of minimum posts that they must meet at selected websites.

Notice how no one said a word about the window and lights that were clearly taped to the vehicle when Doug DeMuro did his Hummer review? Yet, a prototype windshield wiper with monitoring and testing cables garnished tons of negative commentary. Imagine if the CT had gaffers tape holding the windshield and lights in place during this "leak", not even a "review" of a shipping product.

You'd better believe that at least 75% of internet vitriol comes from paid astroturf comment farms. Spending $500-$1500 a day for 100-300 negative comments everyday for a year across multiple forums and niche websites is still 1/10th the cost of a 30 second Super Bowl ad. As a matter of fact, it's probably similar to the cost of a 1 month ad run during a top rated primetime TV show.
Sponsored

Last edited: