Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I suspected the dual motor might come out first due to battery constraints. What did not occur to me is that they might use different chemistries for the different models. People used to say they would stack the batteries. Having recently seen some details on the structural pack I don't think that is the case. They will either pack the batteries tighter, change the chemistry or both for the different ranges.
for the single and dual motor versions they will not be stacked. for the tri motor, with essentially double the capacity, the packs will be stacked. This has been confirmed previously.

I am not sure why everyone is thinking the dual will be first? There had been statements made previously as well that both the dual and tri would be the first off the line. Elon talked during battery day about the possibility of using different chemistries, so in theory, the CT isnt "competing" for batteries/cells with anything other than the Semi, which is likely not to be in full production yet.
Sponsored

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ml350
Occupation
Data Scientist
Country flag
New dimensions with 3% reduction.
New
L: 224.8"
W: 77.5"
H: 72.75"

Old:
L: 231.7"
W: 79.8"
H: 75"

For cross reference.
2020 Toyota Tundra crew max:
L: 228.9"
W: 79.9
H: 76.2

2021 F150 supercrew 5.5ft bed 4x4.

L: 231.7
H: 77.2
I think the size reduction is from 84 inches to something closer to 80-82 inches. The prototype was larger than the numbers on display at the event. It might have been longer as well. Some people think it was closer to 240 inches in length.

Here’s the tweet where Elon stated that the prototype was 84 inches.

I would still prefer the larger prototype size.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think the size reduction is from 84 inches to something closer to 80-82 inches. The prototype was larger than the numbers on display at the event. It might have been longer as well. Some people think it was closer to 240 inches in length.

Good point. I Had not seen that Tweet before. I guess we will find out soon enough... hopefully.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag

I dont think we can take 3% off everything proportionally. that amount of length lost would definitely affect the appearance of the vehicle. Top peak angle would be different first and foremost. I think there are places where they reduced things by three percent, but fully do not believe it is 3% all the way around. on a prototype there are all sorts of things that are not as'tight' as they would normally be on a production vehicle. interior panels may be thicker, bumpers may be thicker, other plastic moldings and things of this nature. while they very well could have shortened it by a few inches, i have a hard time believing it would be more than that without having to make significant changes to the engineering of it.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
It does not seem like he is trying to talk people out of climate change and AI panic. Only Corona Virus. Didn’t care much about both of their dismissive attitudes.
I've never seen him say anything panic-inducing on anything.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
for the single and dual motor versions they will not be stacked. for the tri motor, with essentially double the capacity, the packs will be stacked. This has been confirmed previously.

I am not sure why everyone is thinking the dual will be first? There had been statements made previously as well that both the dual and tri would be the first off the line. Elon talked during battery day about the possibility of using different chemistries, so in theory, the CT isnt "competing" for batteries/cells with anything other than the Semi, which is likely not to be in full production yet.
The more that I think about it for standardization purposes I don't think they will stack. You would have a 2" x 60"?x100"? void on the single or dual. (or filed with honeycomb matrix filler.) That is a lot of wasted volume. A stacked battery would be much more complex as well for cooling/termination plates and fusing. I think things have evolved like the true exoskeleton. They are getting more confident on the economies of scale on their mega-castings so they will reinforce that structure with the exoskeleton. I even think the mega-castings will be the same for all 3 versions. They will just leave out the other motors and parts.

I would like to see the energy density math on the single layers of batteries. Getting more than 500 miles of range might be really hard with current forecasted batteries in the next year.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
New dimensions with 3% reduction.
New
L: 224.8"
W: 77.5"
H: 72.75"

Old:
L: 231.7"
W: 79.8"
H: 75"

For cross reference.
2020 Toyota Tundra crew max:
L: 228.9"
H: 76.2

2021 F150 supercrew 5.5ft bed 4x4.

L: 231.7
H: 77.2
I doubt they will just hit it with shrink ray set on 3% power levels. Some dimensions will change more than others. He specifically said it's too wide.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

He just said to Joe the initial truck will have a range of around 300 miles. Take it from there.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I doubt they will just hit it with shrink ray set on 3% power levels. Some dimensions will change more than others. He specifically said it's too wide.
Who knows, maybe they do lol

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
He just said to Joe the initial truck will have a range of around 300 miles. Take it from there.
thats a 50 mile increase from what they said at the launch, i would assume thats for the single motor

futureproof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I wonder why he was so adamant that solar panels would never get more efficient than 25-30%. Increased efficiency seems like the most obvious way to make vehicles with solar panels practical.

Last edited:

Albern

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Volt, 202X Cybertruck Plaid+ (x2)
Country flag

Thanks for pulling up that Elon Tweet; seems that a lot of people missed this point amid all the talk about dimensions.

I totally agree with you that I too want CT to be massive. Even after hearing the Rogan interview yesterday, I'm still bothered by the 3% reduction although I fully know it's irrational and I should trust Tesla.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Well climate change and AI pose existential challenges. Covid pandemic is horrible but not an existential challenge to the species.
Although both statements are most likely (pending who wins the race with mutations) true, I believe his point of view is driven by the fact that climate change has made him the richest man on the planet but response to COVID is working against him. Although I do not question his primary motive, I believe the other reason he is selective with his panics may be because some panics are more profitable than others.

I do have to admit being on the safe side with regards to COVID did not have serious implications like loss of income or property for me. If I had my own business, I probably would be singing a different tune. The reason this bugged me, is that a lot of folks idealize Elon and many listen to the other dude. Looking at the number of deaths after Thanks giving and Christmas caused mostly by folks that didn’t panic enough, I find it irresponsible for these guys not to keep their opinion to themselves on this issue. I am going way off topic on something that is divisive. Better stop here.
Sponsored