First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
December 2021. TorqueNews.com

"....Tesla recently announced that it would be starting with the dual and quad motor versions of the Cybertruck. Tesla has scrapped the single motor Cybertruck for now. That leaves us with dual, tri, and quad motor options and it looks like the tri motor is not going to be available until possibly a later date...."

I didn't search twitter, but I think Elon did tweet about it.
No one from Tesla has said any configuration has been scrapped. The tri-motor is just as likely scrapped as the single motor at this point... since nothing has been said.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You cannot start production in Q2 and hit volume production rates in 2 quarters. They have never done it before. I know that the CT should be much simpler to fabricate but it is also a brand new platform/architecture. You don’t think they are contradictory?
Model Y production in Berlin started 3 months ago and is up to 1000 per week. Likely be up to 2000 per week by end of the quarter, maybe faster.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
No one from Tesla has said any configuration has been scrapped. The tri-motor is just as likely scrapped as the single motor at this point... since nothing has been said.

-Crissa
No official word on the Tri-Motor being scrapped. I did find this from back in December 2021:

"....Tesla recently announced that it would be starting with the dual and quad motor versions of the Cybertruck. Tesla has scrapped the single motor Cybertruck for now. That leaves us with dual, tri, and quad motor options and it looks like the tri motor is not going to be available until possibly a later date...."

Because the timeline keeps getting pushed back, and the Tri-Motor won't come until after the Quad and Dual Motor versions, for practical purposes the Tri-Motor is way off in some decent dimension.

And since it will take years to chip away at the waiting list for the Quad and the Dual, I don't know if Tesla would bother to bring out the Tri-Motor. Maybe when the next version of the Cybertruck comes out in 2026?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

This is based on one statement. One:

Nowhere does it comment on the cancellation or delay of any other configuration. No information is provided by Torque News to support their declarative statements which are projection, yet not provided as such.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hard to read this thread without making sarcastic replies.

People who read rumors and Speculation and pass it off as fact make me mad.

:mad:

It’s one thing to say it not knowing. It’s a whole other thing to argue it page after page.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
This is based on one statement. One:

Nowhere does it comment on the cancellation or delay of any other configuration. No information is provided by Torque News to support their declarative statements which are projection, yet not provided as such.

-Crissa
You are correct. But I will place money down on a bet that the Tri-Motor will not be produced simultaneously with the Quad Motor version. I absolutely could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I think the Quad will happen first, with the Tri-Motor TBD at some later date. Which could be a year later, 3 years later, to infinite later. We don't know. We should have a better idea by January 2024. (y)

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
No official word on the Tri-Motor being scrapped. I did find this from back in December 2021:

Because the timeline keeps getting pushed back, and the Tri-Motor won't come until after the Quad and Dual Motor versions, for practical purposes the Tri-Motor is way off in some decent dimension.

And since it will take years to chip away at the waiting list for the Quad and the Dual, I don't know if Tesla would bother to bring out the Tri-Motor. Maybe when the next version of the Cybertruck comes out in 2026?
I’m updating the letter to the Executor of my estate - my obituary will read: He is survived by his wife and Cybertruck preorder of 28 Nov 2019.

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
The situation we face is called "paralysis by analysis", i.e., the inability to make a final decision because of always looking at another improving scenario.

In this case, it is often a competitor's new design feature. The RWS is a great idea that did not originate with TESLA but is worth an extra 6 month wait to incorporate. I am sure there are other great ideas that fall in this category. The problem is you cannot wait forever and unless an extra special, super PLAID idea comes along, then finalize the model design and move on to production. (We will add the other cool features on the next model!)

BTW, this FINAL model decision is made at a VERY high level in a company. The only wild card I see at this point is battery technology. It seems to be changing weekly and a significant improvement may warrant a corresponding delay in production.

Except for that, I WANT my CT. :)

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
Having said that, if the delay is a supply chain problem, or a "waiting for my new factory assembly line to be built" problem... then not improving on the current design in the down time would be a loss opportunity.

So, when do the new Terminator T-800 chips come out? What could go wrong? ;)

Clustertruck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Models X, 3, and X, Roadster and Cybertruck res.
Country flag
7 pages. tl;dr.
is there anything specific and factual on the frozen spec?
any photos?
thanks,

dtruckman

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Accura MDX Hybrid, 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4
Occupation
retired
Country flag
....What does your order two years after the first deliveries of the Model Y have to do with a delay in production?

-Crissa
I was tired of waiting for the CT. My daughter was interested in a Model Y that I ordered 1 in the interim. Well that is why all Tela orders are on hold for me

MAN_TLAC

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
In general, I would also hope that if the Cybertrucks do get built, they do not come out with the fit and finish problems his current vehicles have.
This is my major concern. Really hope that he applies what he has learned from his China Factors on how they inspect their vehicles before sending them out. I have no issues with waiting longer, if it means that it will come out like a Pegasus or a Unicorn; perfect. I know, I know nothing is perfect but with a vehicle this big and with that much aluminum. Would hate for my vehicle to foiled by bad fitment.

My other issue is price. What would that look like with all these design changes and this current economy.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
That's not how Tesla handles model years or reservations.

Model year is usually when the model rolled from the factory. Sometimes it's a little late or a little early, but it's not a production run like traditional automakers.

Reservation holders will be contacted in order, in the geographical area being serviced - so like the Model Ys from Austin, they contacted pre-orders in the Austin area, and then branched out from there.

They don't generally care what model you reserved, especially if they're not producing it: they want to find a buyers so they contact anyone probable to fill out the configurator.

With the Model 3, they opened the configurator out to batches of reservations at a time.

-Crissa
Interesting. So I made my reservation as a California resident however I am relocating to Washington state next week. Any idea what impact this will have on my reservation number? I’m currently number 1200 something….

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
1. A couple of weeks ago, we guessed production would start 6 months after the Giga Press install. It worked out to be March/April.

2. There's also the 304 factory up the road. I can't recall exactly… But I think there was an operating timeline further out than end of 22. The stars are aligning here too, I think.

3. By mid 23 the Austin factory will have lots of trained people who can be moved to CT production...ramp up may be a tad quicker than a new factory upstart.

Only 300 more sleeps
Sponsored