Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Tech Business Owner
Country flag
We took delivery of a Model Y in December. Fit & finish are no worse than the Toyota it replaced. I think this complaint is overstated today (definitely a bigger problem in the past).
I took delivery on a Model Y Performance on March 24, 2022 and the panel gaps were perfect. Not a single problem with build quality. I've had my Tesla less than 90 days, and have already put 10,359 miles on it. My VIN ends in 397898 (Fremont, CA).

Waiting on one Tri-Motor (or quad motor if available) CT in 2023 (I'm only around 114,000 in the reservations queue.)
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I find it interesting how panel gap has come to have such a strong association with build quality. There are many qualities that I find much more important than panel gap. Like engine reliability, driving quality, sound levels in the cockpit, presence of rattling/scraping/screeching sounds, paint overspray, paint peeling, and probably a bunch of others.

I do remember the old Lexus commercial demonstrating panel gap by rolling a ball bearing down the gap lines. In that commercial they use the panel gap as an indirect indicator of build quality instead of a direct result of it.

And every time someone brings up panel gap I am immediately transported to people talking about thigh gap. Once again, a quality that is really not indicative of true quality in any way. It's really just a distraction from much more relevant issues.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I find it interesting how panel gap has come to have such a strong association with build quality. There are many qualities that I find much more important than panel gap. Like engine reliability, driving quality, sound levels in the cockpit, presence of rattling/scraping/screeching sounds, paint overspray, paint peeling, and probably a bunch of others.

I do remember the old Lexus commercial demonstrating panel gap by rolling a ball bearing down the gap lines. In that commercial they use the panel gap as an indirect indicator of build quality instead of a direct result of it.

And every time someone brings up panel gap I am immediately transported to people talking about thigh gap. Once again, a quality that is really not indicative of true quality in any way. It's really just a distraction from much more relevant issues.
This one seems more indicative of build quality. A bit contrived and set up under very ideal circumstances. But still better than the panel gap one.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I just took delivery of a model y and itā€™s perfect, not a single flaw anywhere so I donā€™t subscribe to this poor quality bs passing around. The cyber truck will have castings front and rear and structural pack so everything will fit.
My 2021 Model 3 has no fitment or alignment issues. None drastic enough to rival the Dodges, Fords, Nissans, Subarus, Chevys, Toyotas, or Volkswagens I've owned throughout my life. This is old news of the early hand built era of Tesla. Especially before the automation.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I finally watched the whole thing...lots of interesting non-CT related stuff in there, that wasn't the typical EM "best of" list. Thanks for the link.

I had to laugh about the self-fulfilling prophecy and population collapse thing in the end...

Sort of makes me wonder if trying to persuade intellectuals to multiply is a valid strategy at all, if they don't even have enough intelligence to recognize the cause of their own demise. :p

Maybe the passage of time is humanities bad idea filter, sometimes it just takes a generation or two for them to die out. :unsure::eek::ROFLMAO:

I suppose this is also what EM means when he says it's good that we die, so our ideas aren't
persistent.

---

But on the subject of CT delivery:
  1. Taking Model Y ramp up is not a good metric for CT. CT is a brand new never before made product. MY in GB and GA ramp was based on MY Fremont. There's nothing to base CT directly on except that it shares various components, like battery, casting, interior etc. But Stainless is different.
  2. From his comments about "trying to keep production going because of supply issues", my only takeaway is that there are serious issues and concerns around production in general. This also feeds back into previous comments the EM made that they won't release new products because they are simply supply limited, not demand limited.
  3. That really means that just their existing products alone are outstripping supply chains, and like EM also said, would just simply mean that they would cannibalize one vehicle to make another. If so then risking limited parts and supply chains on a new not yet in production model just seems like a bad idea. Hence were we are with CT scheduling
  4. Design is locked in - well to be honest I think that statement is pretty broad and against Tesla's own rapid iteration philosophy. They will make changes, there will be even more changes in production optimization, then again in product optimization. The "plan" can only ever be locked in when they are spitting CT's off the line.
Those above factors alone make me brace for a further delay. In particular the supply shortage problem, and the fact this has been an issue for the last two years already, with according to EM, not being resolved yet at all. Once we are fully into the recession and market correction how many Tesla suppliers themselves might be in financial trouble, and because of that, cause shortages that limit vehicle completion even more?

The point is that no matter how much we want to will the CT into existence just as a consumer of goods, Tesla might not be in a position to deliver goods, possibly at all, because of the economic and supply issues it is operating in. To me that seems like a good motivator to get what you can while you still can.

roncruiser

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1994 80 Series Land Cruiser, 2002 100 Series Lexus LX450, 2005 Lexus IS300
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
We took delivery of a Model Y in December. Fit & finish are no worse than the Toyota it replaced. I think this complaint is overstated today (definitely a bigger problem in the past).
Toyotas are well made vehicles. What's your criteria for fit and finish?

Your newer Model Y replaced an older
Toyota. That's not an apples to apples comparison for fit and finish.

The complaint of Tesla's fit and finish (whatever that means) is not overstated today. Tesla has improved, but still has a ways to go before "Fit and Finish" comparisons can be made with a Toyota/Lexus.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Aren't they having trouble scaling up 4680s? I doubt they will make many in mid 2023. I would say maybe a 1000 or so.

Experienced this with the Ford Bronco. No battery issues to face and Ford can still barely make them. Would not be shocked if we don't get this until 2024. I hope I am wrong. I am ready to trade in the Y for this. But can't see this going quickly.
Tesla wonā€™t bother with production if they canā€™t ramp up. Thatā€™s a big part of why we are where we are now.

There might be a slow startup, but if they canā€™t produce 50/ day thatā€™s not even production.

Berlin is already up to 1000/ week after just 3 months. Texas is at about 300/ week after about 2 months. I expect Cybertruck will be similar.

Cybertruck Hawaii

Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
šŸ‘. Even if I am number one, Iā€™ll still essentially be the last to have mine built, because it is a single motor Cybertruck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Toyotas are well made vehicles. What's your criteria for fit and finish?

Your newer Model Y replaced an older
Toyota. That's not an apples to apples comparison for fit and finish.

The complaint of Tesla's fit and finish (whatever that means) is not overstated today. Tesla has improved, but still has a ways to go before "Fit and Finish" comparisons can be made with a Toyota/Lexus.
If you want a EV with perfect seams, crappy range, and slow chargingā€¦ jump on that Toyota.

Personally, very happy with my Model Y. I donā€™t have calipers for measuring the seams, but it does get nearly 100 miles longer range and charges about twice as fast.

People who buy into this car-rag BS deserve what they end up with.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Interesting. So I made my reservation as a California resident however I am relocating to Washington state next week. Any idea what impact this will have on my reservation number? Iā€™m currently number 1200 somethingā€¦.
No idea. Probably none, but you can never know what regionalization they'll do. Make sure your Tesla.com account is up to date! ^-^

At one time Elon said at full ramp it would be about 150,000 a year. That probably assumed batteries would be a constraint for the first year or two.
When did he say this?

He said in 2019 that 225k was their target. He's said 250k more recently - that's the product of one gigapress.

-Crissa

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
For those of you that insisted that the Cybertruck would come out by the end of 2022, or January 2023, the earliest projection now, per Elon, will be "mid-2023".

Of course, there is always a chance it could slide into the fall of 2023, depending on Tesla timelines.

If Tesla can build CTs that go into a few buyers hands by fall of 2023, that is good news. It will finally be a reality.

Pre-order holder #300,000
production date are fine but dont forget that they will still need epa approval and who knows how long that will take....I think it. was several months after the Y's showed up that they finally got it

NJturtlePower

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3 Stealth Performance
Country flag
šŸ‘. Even if I am number one, Iā€™ll still essentially be the last to have mine built, because it is a single motor Cybertruck.
Especially since that trim is likely canceled, much like the RWD Y's. Doubt they'll ever have the incentive or capacity to build it.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I really hope we can see the interior layout or view selectable options. I need mine to be capable of seating 6 people, otherwise it won't fit my needs.

Edit: Looked around a bit to see interior photos and saw that it comes with a lifting center console.
Yeah, No. Cybertruck ā€œLockedā€ assertion does not equate to GOLD MASTER in the software world where the pressing into discs is the final last remaining step.

Locked tells that Elon has signed off on the vehicle specs and approved full engineering going forward(Damn the torpedos!). SO Tesla are done tweaking the Cybertruck hard bits.

Soft bits are still in-play, tweaking, optimizing and adjusting toward production without a production deadline. Elon has affirmed no such deadline. Glazing colors, interior options, acoustics, audio, trim, packages and factory accessory integration remain in-the-works.

Without IDRA9000T samples, no production deadline is possible. That female mold is cast so Cybetrtruck engineer and specs an be locked. But getting that baby humming, running consistently in TX hasnā€™t been achieved. SO Cybertruck design remains open for all but its hard bits now.

Production deadline == Gold Master for supply chain, mfgr and suppliers.
Sponsored