Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I agree and more specifically (IMO) it would work like the following.

Make CTx4 until either batteries, motors, or orders become a constraint then switch to CTx2 order fulfillment. This should in theory maximize revenue and profit while balancing resources available.
If batteries at the constraint they they would want to make the shorter range version first.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe first impressions count more

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
If batteries at the constraint they they would want to make the shorter range version first.
10,000 large batteries at low production rates may require less overall battery resources than 20,000 CT2 at high production rates in a given period.

I think Regenshire and Gnarlydude came to the right conclusion. Tesla is agile and will figure it out.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
A ~$50k dual motor (or even $65k) Cybertruck would make a lot more waves than a $80k - 90k quad motor truck.

The world knows all about expensive electric trucks that can pop wheelies and cost as much as a house.

An affordable truck being produced in volume would blow up the industry.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
10,000 large batteries at low production rates may require less overall battery resources than 20,000 CT2 at high production rates in a given period.

I think Regenshire and Gnarlydude came to the right conclusion. Tesla is agile and will figure it out.
Unless they are selling those quad motor trucks for twice what they are selling the dual motor trucks it’s less revenue, fewer trucks to spread the costs over, and perhaps as important, fewer trucks on the road.

Not long ago everyone was convinced the first Model Y out the gate from Texas would be some new Performance/ Plaid/ or Super Long Range version?

Turns out cranking out a simpler car to start their new line made more sense.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Tesla could feel good about itself if it blew the industry out of the water, but what I have seen so far, is restraint, with a focus on maximising profit whilst maintaining momentum across its range.

I'm not sure which way it will go. End of the day, it has a ramp to contend with. Will it dress to kill, but remain unable to capitalise, or will it seek to maximise its profits and slowly choke the competition.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
what will make the most profit dollars ? that's what gets made first.
You have to think of it as being spread across the first 18 months of production, not the first month of production. Their #1 goal is to ramp up production. They need to get the assembly lines running and dialed in. The goal is to produce 5000 trucks a week. If the fastest way to get there is by producing dual motor trucks, you can bet they will produce dual motor trucks.

The Model Ys coming out of Texas are basic models, less expensive than any other production Model Y. They are dialing in production first. Now they are adding in the Model Y LR (2170 apparently). These are the cars in most demand.

It might be the quad motor first, Musk actually suggested as much. But how they decide which vehicle gets cranked out first is a little more complicated than just picking the one which sells for the most.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
The Model S uses the 18650 battery pack. It doesn't have the structural pack advantages, which are said to be about 50% more than the Model 3 pack which is itself better (at 1k lbs) than that original Model S.

So... I guess we have to wait until Sandy Munro gets an Austin Model 3 to see what that advantage really is.

-Crissa

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
Tesla could feel good about itself if it blew the industry out of the water, but what I have seen so far, is restraint, with a focus on maximising profit whilst maintaining momentum across its range.

I'm not sure which way it will go. End of the day, it has a ramp to contend with. Will it dress to kill, but remain unable to capitalise, or will it seek to maximise its profits and slowly choke the competition.
So enjoy the use of "whilst". I don't hear that much in North Cackalacky

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
250,000 would be minimal. Elon said 5000 per week is considered to be scaled up. I don't think he was implying maximums.

1 month downtime. 70 secs per cast. = 400,000.

Rounded down to 7500 Ct's per week

Elon said they have 3 years? Worth of orders.

That's 1.2 million @ 400,000 per year.

10 Billion profit per year. Buy TSLA
Elon also said they were targeting a production rate of 250,000 per year.
Sponsored