Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ford media says Tesla v3 ... meaning not v2.
"A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers. "​
I don’t think that necessarily follows. It could just as well mean “we support the latest and greatest”

I think the only way they get to 12,000 chargers is by including v2.
Sponsored

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
I don’t think that necessarily follows. It could just as well mean “we support the latest and greatest”

I think the only way they get to 12,000 chargers is by including v2.
Not the way that I see it. Seems like v3+ just like the Ford announcement says.
This is some slightly old data (no 2023 - not sure if 2022 is partial).
18,025 below. Tesla first opened V3 stations in 2019.
Does that make sense?

Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! fBiZUhf

------------------ ---------------- ---------
Also: 1094 x 12.00 = 13128
Tesla Cybertruck Ford EV will gain access to Tesla Superchargers and come with standard NACS ports starting 2025! gMSxgKd

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
This is crazy. I never thought I'd see the day. I honestly thought Tesla would be forced to move to CCS by the government a couple of years down the road. I'm super excited to see that the better connector is possibly going to win out. Hopefully the domino effect starts with all the other manufacturers.
This is what I've expected all along, for the most popular charging connector to win out. Tesla is still installing Superchargers faster than all the rest combined are installing CCS fast DC chargers and the Tesla charge port is smaller and costs less to produce and install in new EV's. The only reason it wouldn't win out would be people trying to slow Tesla down. But Ford saw the writing on the wall and decided to join the winning team. That doesn't necessarily prevent Ford from going bankrupt, but it's a strong step in the right direction and gives them a fighting chance.

The franken CCS connector was designed by committee comprised primarily of legacy auto interests who were trying to fracture the EV charging market hoping to isolate Tesla and accelerate their demise. But Elon beat them at their own game by using first principles thinking to build better EV's that offered more value for the money.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't want to be paying for other brands getting a supercharger infrastructure network for free out of revenue from my purchasing a Tesla, especially if it might cause increased waiting time at a supercharger location too.
I think your concern is misplaced for the following reason:

The Tesla Supercharger Network is self-supporting. The fees charged to Tesla owners are designed to roughly pay for the construction and upkeep of the network over time. While it's true that Tesla needs to invest the capital to build the stations, that capital is paid back over time by customers using the network.

Ford customers will pay a higher rate and thus be contributing even more so the network buildout can be accelerated while still paying for itself (and then some).

The benefit for Tesla drivers is that more users equal more revenue, and that revenue will be used to expand to locations that otherwise wouldn't be developed until much later. Because Ford customers, on average, live in more sparsely populated areas of the country, this partnership will accelerate the buildout of more rural charging locations (in addition to more in populated areas). This will open up more rural routes, something I welcome with open arms.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
they just added a revenue stream. .. which accelerates the transition to renewable energy.
those being the core drivers no doubt, I think there could be several less obvious drivers here

For example, if one thinks through the details of the Inflation Reduction Act.

Tesla was already making structural moves and commitments to enable non-Tesla access to super chargers, in order to both gain access to IRA funds (from state mandates) and as leverage with/capitulation to state governments.

Not being in the deal room on this Ford deal, but having been in the deal room for lots like it, I can see several ways that this Ford deal could include features that provide both Tesla and Ford additional exposure to the IRA incentives and/or leverage with state governments.

it’s no small thing that these companies agreed to have the press release tout Ford’s Blue Oval network, which is also being built out for - amongst other things - IRA access/state gov leverage.

Noting that this Ford deal appears to have been in the works for a few years now, folks should rest assured some smart people have been thinking about this very carefully for a long time - and that the press release tells you only the surface-level drivers.

in effect, for two years they’ve been playing chess.

folks here have, only since yesterday, been still on checkers

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
PS, that this deal appears to have been in the works for a few years, puts some interesting context to the playful public back-and-forth between Farley and Musk over these past few years.

a notable lack of any hard digs at one another, but some playful jabs

only in retrospect, we could have seen this coming. That was the public banter of two CEOs with a deal brewing. 1/2 respectful, 1/2 taunting - this is the way

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Another offshoot of this agreement:

How do you get your competitors to advertise for you?
Ford will have to say they are on the Tesla NACS charging network in their advertising.

How do you get your competitors to pay you real $$$?
License your superior SW product to them.

How do you get owners of competitor's vehicles to support you financially?
Charge a monthly subscription fee for supercharging access.
Charge more per Kwh if no subscription.

This is a money printing machine, just for the vehicle section of Tesla. Imagine the other parts that may follow this path.

davelloydbrown

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3, silverado
Occupation
veterinarian - retired
Country flag
I have been using the tesla superchargers sparingly since I bought my model 3 in 2018. Even though 99% of my charging is at home, I have noticed an appreciable increase in the supercharging fees over this time in the order of 50-100%.

Although I see this move as furthering tesla's goal of accelerating EV adoption, I see it as a negative for current tesla owners and erosion of tesla's competative advantage as a tesla stock owner.

I would hope that other EV owner's that use the tesla network would be charging at a slower rate and paying a premium for electricity, above what tesla owners pay. This would hopefully help tesla's bottom line.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Remember, the V4 charger is coming and the CT will be able to use that one. Maybe the Ford EV's will be limited to access to the V1 and V2 chargers?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Maybe Tesla will use the extra revenue to let Ford drivers subsidize the CT cost and make it cheaper.,.,

well it’s a thought. 😈

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Remember, the V4 charger is coming and the CT will be able to use that one. Maybe the Ford EV's will be limited to access to the V1 and V2 chargers?
the release specifically says V3 - which at present is possibly equivalent to saying "whatever the best available is" -we'll see about V4 when available/Ford releases its next-gen BEVs out of Tennessee

Although I see this move as furthering tesla's goal of accelerating EV adoption, I see it as a negative for current tesla owners and erosion of tesla's competative advantage as a tesla stock owner.

I would hope that other EV owner's that use the tesla network would be charging at a slower rate and paying a premium for electricity, above what tesla owners pay. This would hopefully help tesla's bottom line.
I don't understand this line of thinking at all, if the topic is given more than a knee-jerk reaction

Admittedly, I could be blamed as being biased (being a Lightning owner), but the same bias allegation is at least equally leveled at those with material positions in TSLA

But there are a lot of reasons to suspect that not only should Tesla not view its charging network as a competitive moat, but also that as the industry gains traction it would be unable to maintain such a moat from a regulatory perspective.

At some point, as BEVs overtake ICE infrastructure, charging infra will become increasingly subject to legislative scrutiny as critical infrastructure subject to - amongst other things - anticompetition laws, etc.

This gets back to the chess game I referenced earlier.

If Tesla sees around the corners of government-mandated access to critical infrastructure (whether by requirement, or incentives - such as the IRA), then now is the time for Tesla to strike those deals with other manufacturers from a position of strength. If they instead wait until there is obvious necessity to "share," Tesla will be at a commercial disadvantage.